Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 ...8 9 10 · >>
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#46New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:03:41
Jehovah's Witnesses are also kind of weird about who they allow to marry or divorce and remain in good standing in the church. More so than a lot of other sects.
That's cool too, they can make the rules in who gets to be in their club, but they can't make the rules for everyone.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#47New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:15:54
@DiscordTiger Said

Jehovah's Witnesses are also kind of weird...

When they came to my house (in Florida) I used to invite them in for tea or water. Then, when they wanted to talk dogma, I would essentially interrogate them (politely) on their reading of and knowledge of the Bible.

Typically they never came back.

But, to be fair, I did the same with Mormons (politely) relative to their reading of and knowledge of both the Bible and the book of Mormon.

Typically they never came back either.

But...they were always treated with courtesy and offered either ice tea or water....I did not offer wine, beer or liquor as I was trying to be respectful.

The Krishna people never came to my house, but in a few airports where they approached me, while I did not offer ice tea or water, I did interrogate them on their knowledge of their beliefs of Krishna...they always walked away...one time they even took back the George Harrison album

Thankfully I don't depend on people to have any real or accurate knowledge of their own religious beliefs.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#48New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:20:41
@shadowen Said

So yet again you make a statement that you present as fact. I ask for evidence and you decline to give any.

What do you want to know about manifest destiny?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#49New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:23:37
@shadowen Said

Feel free to give examples. As for the native peoples of the Americas....they were constantly in conflict with one another. Something Europeans were able to exploit.

You keep confusing statements & answers. Read carefully & if you do not understand ask. Just taking broad a** statements that were not part of the answer makes everyone confused. I stated rightly that First Nations did not battle over religion or faith. Manifest Destiny is religious dogma that gave all sorts of excuses for christians to do the most horrendous of things.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#50New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:26:46
@shadowen Said

I'll make it simple for you. When same sex marriages were illegal people who felt this shouldnt be the case expressed their views, protested, engaged in media campaigns etc all with the aim of changing the law. And they succeeded. Now i am sure you think they were right to do so. But you say that those who hold opposing views should "leave others out of their teachings & concentrate solely on them selves". This is blatant hypocrisy. Those who advocated same sex marriage didnt leave others out of their 'teachings'. They didnt concentrate solely on themselves. So for you it would appear that if you hold a view to which to subscribe then make as much noise as you can. If they dont you seem to be saying they should shut up and not publicly express their views.

Are you kidding? Really?

Supporting same sex marriage is not the same thing as forcing straights to stay single nor forcing them to marry same sex. The opposite is true of those who oppose same sex marriage. They want the lgbt+ community to stay un married or even try to force them to be straight. NO comparison here dude. None.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#51New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:29:35
@shadowen Said

Here's another example for you. You believe that the use of native mascots is offensive and a problem. Same with names that reference native people eg the 'redskins'. Most followers of the Washington team, and many who follow the NFL in general, dont appear to agree with you. I am sure a number of them would feel that people like you are trying to force their views upon them and that they would think you should leave them out of your 'teachings' and 'concentrate solely on yourself'. But of course you have the right to express your views and work for change, just as the JW's have.

Still wrong on the comparisons. Racial stereotypes are proven to be damaging to youth. Just because the dominate society wants to have racism as part of their culture does not equate the right of people to not be racially stereotyped. Dude. You really need to get a grasp on reality.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#52New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 03:57:08
Saying you are acting in the name of religion and following the teachings of a given religion are often not the same thing. Indeed often they can be diametrically opposed. People throughout history have done terrible things to others using all sorts of excuses/justifications (often not referencing ANY religion at all).

As for manifest destiny. It was an excuse used by the US to expand it's borders, to invade the land of others, to take said land for themselves. It was used to justify US imperialism. Manifest destiny even called upon Darwinism to try and justify their actions. As for claiming that manifest destiny was a religious dogma. That requires some evidence.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#53New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:04:30
@shinobinoz Said

Still wrong on the comparisons. Racial stereotypes are proven to be damaging to youth. Just because the dominate society wants to have racism as part of their culture does not equate the right of people to not be racially stereotyped. Dude. You really need to get a grasp on reality.

You claim they are racial stereotypes, others hold different views. You claim the names and mascots are racist. Others hold different views. My point is both sides have the right to express their views. You seem to believe only your side have that right.

As usual you are saying that it's fine for you to do something that you condemn others for doing (because you are right and they are wrong). In a democracy people are meant to have the right to free expression. They are meant to have the right, through the democratic process, to seek change. But you seem to be of the opinion that only those who hold views the same (or similar) to your own are allowed to voice their opinion and seek change. This seems to be the default position of the LL.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#54New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:08:33
@shinobinoz Said

Are you kidding? Really?

Supporting same sex marriage is not the same thing as forcing straights to stay single nor forcing them to marry same sex. The opposite is true of those who oppose same sex marriage. They want the lgbt+ community to stay un married or even try to force them to be straight. NO comparison here dude. None.

The comparison is that there are opposing views. In a democracy you are supposed to be able to express your views. You seem to be of the belief that only those who agree with you can express their views. In a democracy you are meant to be able to seek change within the democratic process. Again, you seem to be of the mind that only those who hold views similar to your own should be allowed to do this. If you are unable to see this then so be it.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#55New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:10:25
@DiscordTiger Said

Jehovah's Witnesses are also kind of weird about who they allow to marry or divorce and remain in good standing in the church. More so than a lot of other sects.
That's cool too, they can make the rules in who gets to be in their club, but they can't make the rules for everyone.

@shadowen Said

Saying you are acting in the name of religion and following the teachings of a given religion are often not the same thing. Indeed often they can be diametrically opposed. People throughout history have done terrible things to others using all sorts of excuses/justifications (often not referencing ANY religion at all).

As for manifest destiny. It was an excuse used by the US to expand it's borders, to invade the land of others, to take said land for themselves. It was used to justify US imperialism. Manifest destiny even called upon Darwinism to try and justify their actions. As for claiming that manifest destiny was a religious dogma. That requires some evidence.

Can you handle the truth?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#56New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:11:27
@shadowen Said

You claim they are racial stereotypes, others hold different views. You claim the names and mascots are racist. Others hold different views. My point is both sides have the right to express their views. You seem to believe only your side have that right.

As usual you are saying that it's fine for you to do something that you condemn others for doing (because you are right and they are wrong). In a democracy people are meant to have the right to free expression. They are meant to have the right, through the democratic process, to seek change. But you seem to be of the opinion that only those who hold views the same (or similar) to your own are allowed to voice their opinion and seek change. This seems to be the default position of the LL.

Racism is wrong. Or do you find it useful?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#57New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:12:21
@shadowen Said

The comparison is that there are opposing views. In a democracy you are supposed to be able to express your views. You seem to be of the belief that only those who agree with you can express their views. In a democracy you are meant to be able to seek change within the democratic process. Again, you seem to be of the mind that only those who hold views similar to your own should be allowed to do this. If you are unable to see this then so be it.

No-one is talking about opposing views. this is about forcing others to hold your view or be punished.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#58New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:13:55
@shinobinoz Said

No-one is talking about opposing views. this is about forcing others to hold your view or be punished.

How are they 'forcing' others to hold their view? How exactly would they 'punish' people?

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#59New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:14:28
@shinobinoz Said

Racism is wrong. Or do you find it useful?

Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#60New Post! Jan 04, 2017 @ 04:17:33
@shadowen Said

How are they 'forcing' others to hold their view? How exactly would they 'punish' people?

Which example are we referring to?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs