Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#76New Post! Feb 23, 2012 @ 23:21:19
@MadCornishBiker Said

As I have already explained it fares well, since it follows the example to the 1st Century Governing Body.

MCB I was wondering if you could explain to me the Theocratic War Strategy of the Jehovah's Witnesses? My research indicates that the Jehovah's Witnesses advocate lying to "people who do not need to know" the truth - which, in reality, is anyone that is not a member of the JWs. Is this a correct interpretation of the doctrine? (Although, it is fare to say that this doctrine could be used by the JW hierarchy to mislead its own followers. Certainly, in light of conversations with you, it is clear that there is information about the JWs of which you have not only been kept ignorant, but have in fact clearly been misinformed).

Does the Theocratic War Strategy exist? Does it approve lying by omission? If not, could you help clear up the errors for me? And, if you could, rather than merely cut and paste, could you provide a link to JW material dealing with the issue, if in fact such is available? I find it inconceivable that the JWs could claim to be lead by the spirit of truth one one hand, and yet condone lying on the other, so I must be missing something.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#77New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 00:58:46
@bob_the_fisherman Said

MCB I was wondering if you could explain to me the Theocratic War Strategy of the Jehovah's Witnesses? My research indicates that the Jehovah's Witnesses advocate lying to "people who do not need to know" the truth - which, in reality, is anyone that is not a member of the JWs. Is this a correct interpretation of the doctrine? (Although, it is fare to say that this doctrine could be used by the JW hierarchy to mislead its own followers. Certainly, in light of conversations with you, it is clear that there is information about the JWs of which you have not only been kept ignorant, but have in fact clearly been misinformed).

Does the Theocratic War Strategy exist? Does it approve lying by omission? If not, could you help clear up the errors for me? And, if you could, rather than merely cut and paste, could you provide a link to JW material dealing with the issue, if in fact such is available? I find it inconceivable that the JWs could claim to be lead by the spirit of truth one one hand, and yet condone lying on the other, so I must be missing something.

Officialy, no it doesn't exist. Unofficially? well not in quite the extreme sense you mean.

No there is nothing about the JWs about which I have been misinformed. I know there is a lot of disinformation out there, but it all originates with their enemies.

Like that site you have been using lately. Read it carefully and you can see the misinformation standing pout a mile, the way they twist what they want you to think the JWs have said, and they way they bend the evidence to fit their doctrine, often without actually changing it, just by denying that fact that it could actually point either way and therefore needs something further to clarify it. Those "10 questions" are a classic example of both of those, as I demonstrated.

Of course if you choose to listen to the propaganda of the enemy then that is your choice.

Tor return to your question about lying. There are certain circumstances when they will practice what you call lying by omission. Since lying is an sin of commission I think you are again twisting the meaning to suit yourself. Merely concealing evidence is not lying it is simply refusing to talk.

The circumstances? Well, as an example, during WWII a lot of the printing and preaching work, as well as many meetings had to be held in private homes. All these things are connected to their, Christ-given commission. They carefully hid these things and did all they could to prevent the authorities from finding them. However they did not lie, they simply refuse to talk, even under torture. This fits with Jesus commendation to his followers to be as recorded at Matthew 10:16-20 "16 “Look! I am sending YOU forth as sheep amidst wolves; therefore prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves. 17 Be on YOUR guard against men; for they will deliver YOU up to local courts, and they will scourge YOU in their synagogues. 18 Why, YOU will be haled before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations. 19 However, when they deliver YOU up, do not become anxious about how or what YOU are to speak; for what YOU are to speak will be given YOU in that hour; 20 for the ones speaking are not just YOU, but it is the spirit of YOUR Father that speaks by YOU".

They also remember what Jesus said about when caught as verse 19 of that text "However, when they deliver YOU up, do not become anxious about how or what YOU are to speak; for what YOU are to speak will be given YOU in that hour".

If caught they took the "name rank and serial number" route. The next step was for others to take up the reigns and move operations to a new site.

If you wish to call that a "Theocratic War Strategy" then I suppose I wouldn't argue that, but if it is, it is one laid down by Christ, and even earlier practices by Daniel when the King Darius ordered the whole nation, including the Israelite captives to make petition (pray) to no-one but him. Daniel didn't argue. He simply retired to his rooms and prayed there. When caught he simply pointed out that he was doing God's will and would continue to do so no matter what any man tried to do to stop him. Daniel was then thrown not the lion's den.

God's will must be done no matter who tries to stop it. Many loving Brothers and Sisters were tortured, killed, imprisoned or put into Concentration Camps because they refused to stop preaching in the war. Magdalena Kusserow was just one such.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/idcard.php?ModuleId=10006553. She, like any good witness, refused to lie, but also refused to "surrender". Had she lied and said she would renounce her faith she would have been left to go free, though it rarely did any good to those who did so. The only thing the Nazi's hated more than a JW was a JW who recanted.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#78New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 01:01:54
@MadCornishBiker Said

1. Yes, that is what they apppear to say.

So, you agree that the Jehovah's attest that Clement did not preach the doctrine of the deity of Christ? In this, the JWs are clearly false.

Clement said, "“There was, then, a Word importing an unbeginning eternity; as also the Word itself, that is, the Son of God, who being, by equality of substance, one with the Father, is eternal and uncreate. [Note here that he says that Christ is eternal and uncreate - and he continues] That He always was The Word is signified by saying, "The word was in the beginning." [...]

He signifies by the appellation Father, that the Son also existed always, without beginning."

Now again, it is necessary to point out that the Jews explicitly stated that Christ, in saying he was the son of God, was making himself equal to God. That is the Jewish understanding of that term. And, as Jesus was Jewish, he understood this. As John about whom Clement is speaking, is also Jewish, it is clear that he too, understood this. In fact, John made this blisteringly clear when in John chapter 10, he actually said outright that the Jews wanted to kill Christ for claiming to be equal to God.

@MadCornishBiker Said
2. Because Clement did in fact say "equality of substance" abnd that too the Jws would not argue with, however Clement did not say that Christ was of equal rank to his Father, just substance, which is hardly surprising since "God is a spirit" and so are Christ and all the angels - common substance. IS Clement therefore suggesting that the Angles are also equal to God since they share the same substance? If he was, where does that stop? Since God created everything frm His substance it could be argued that everything in creation shares it in one form or another.

Well, if Clement had stopped at saying "equality of substance" your argument could possibly have some validity (but I do not know, as I do not feel the need to investigate the rationale for it). However, as Clement referred to Christ as "without beginning" and "uncreate," your argument is lost.

@MadCornishBiker Said
3. Simple. He taught that because he was teaching a falsehood, whether or not he realised it.

So, let's get this straight. The Jehovah's Witnesses say that Clement did not teach the Godhood of Christ.. However, he did.

The only logical conclusion then, is;

The Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong to say that Clement did not teach the deity of Christ.

@MadCornishBiker Said
4. There are a number of problems here. The Jws do not say that no-one knew of the trinity teaching, simply that it was not a part of Christian Doctrine before the 4th century.

Honestly, this is sophistry, at best. However, we will leave aside the Trinity for now, and instead, focus on the council of Nicaea, and its purpose. The First Council of Nicaea (325 AD) was called to deal with the heresy of Arianism, which denied the deity of Christ. This, at the very least, shows that the deity of Christ was a long held Christian belief.

And, as I have shown you, the writers the JWs use to disprove the trinity, all wrote of Christ being God.

@MadCornishBiker Said
5. I did find this paragraph interesting because of the part they chose to highlight with undermines the basis of the trinity, the equality of God and Christ because the last line or so says "the Son is the second, by whom all things were made according to the will of the Father" Yes exactly, as Christ later said he could do nothing of his own origination but did only what his Father told him. Deffinitely not the description of an equal.

And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, the early church fathers spoke of Christ being God, as the quote from Clement above shows (and as the quotes I gave you earlier from Justin Martyr etc, clearly show).

@MadCornishBiker Said
6. How does Jehovah turning to His son and saying "let us make man in our image" say anything about the trinity. It certanly doesn't say what Tertullian is making it say, merely that the son was there and working under his Father's direction.

Ok, so, at the very least, we have seen that the JWs are wrong in asserting Tertullian did not support the Trinity.

Indeed, it is obvious that Tertullian supported the Trinity. He said, "all the scriptures attest the clear existence of, and distinction in, (the Persons of) the Trinity."

Later he also says, "Still, in these few quotations the distinction of Persons in the Trinity is clearly set forth."

It does not get much more blatant than that. The JWs are wrong.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Tertulllian's whole language calling God the first and Christ the second speaks of a hierarchy with God on top and Christ immediately below not of equality.

Not when viewed in their entire context. But, apart from that, Christ "emptied himself" and "did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped," but became less than he was - ie., less than God, in becoming a man. Paul actually makes this point in pretty blatant terms, as we have already discussed.

This idea might seem foolish to you - but, that is not surprising. After all, Paul also says that the message of the cross is foolish to those that are perishing. As you deny the truths of the Christian faith, is it any wonder that, to you, those truths are foolish?

@MadCornishBiker Said
7. God and Christ, and all the angles are of one, substance as they are all spirit beings, as scripture tells us. However nowhere is the Holy Spirit described as a spirit being.

Nor is it described as an impersonal active force. The JWs say that the Spirit is like electricity - yet I have never known electricity to speak, or be grieved, in the manner that the Bible says of the Holy Spirit.

@MadCornishBiker Said
8. That is not an accurate translation of Exodus 3:14 as the followng point out:-

We have done this to death.

@MadCornishBiker Said
9. The Watchtower certainly points to that as a possibility, as do many other versions of John 1:1, none of which talk of the equality of God and Christ, and therefore none of which the JWs argue with:

Likewise with this.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#79New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 01:11:26
@MadCornishBiker Said

Officialy, no it doesn't exist. Unofficially? well not in quite the extreme sense you mean.

So in other words, it is JW doctrine that honesty is not necessary, and Jehovah's Witnesses do not need to tell the truth.

Thanks for that.
Teleologist On April 13, 2012

Phoenix,
#80New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 06:23:18
@MadCornishBiker Said

As I have already explained it fares well, since it follows the example to the 1st Century Governing Body.

No it doesn't. The 1st Century Governing Body had nothing to say concerning blood components.

@MadCornishBiker Said

The bible makes it very clear how we should treat those who insist on teaching non biblical things..

There is no Biblical basis for forbidding any blood component.

@MadCornishBiker Said

The difference for JWs is that they teach the truth, and there is no need to argue against it, because everything they teach comes from the bible. The bible, God's word, is the final arbiter in all things.

Show me where the Bible forbids taking platelets.

@MadCornishBiker Said

JWs don't have to challenge the teachings of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society because it is all too easy to show they are based on the bible.

Prove it. Show me where the Bible forbids taking platelets.

@MadCornishBiker Said

As I said before, a number of times, your pick is less about what they teach as what they don't teach. You seem to think they should only stick to the letter of the law, even though the whole of Jesus teaching was abut applying mercy to the law, which the Governing body did with their ruling saying some blood products are a matter of conscience. They are not like the Pharisees and so do not apply the letter of the law.

If applying mercy is better than sticking to the letter of the law then the WTS should just allow JW's to take ALL blood components. Why only be halfway merciful and allow some but not all blood components?

@MadCornishBiker Said

Their allowing those who feel their conscience allows them to have some of the minor components of blood, but not the major ones is an example of applying mercy to the law...

Hemoglobin is a major component of blood and is allowed by the WTS.
Platelets are a minor component of blood and is forbidden. Makes no sense. And if the WTS wants to be merciful then why not allow JW's to take ALL components?

@MadCornishBiker Said

As for disfellowshipping, yes that is what they do, and that too is in line with scriptural commendation.

There is no scriptural basis for forbidding the taking of any blood component, thus there is no basis for disfellowshipping anyone for taking any blood component.

Banned

#81New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:13:40
@Teleologist Said

No it doesn't. The 1st Century Governing Body had nothing to say concerning blood components.

I didn't say it was exactly the same, I said, as you should know if you read my posts properly, that it folowed teh example of the 1st century Gverning Body.

How?

It prayerfully considered the law, the principle and the needs of the Brotherhood, and came up with a solution which "added no further burden than these necessary things", as that early Body said of their decision.

You are too focused on what you want to see, and not enough on what is actually said. Like a Pharisee you are lost in the minutia and not looking at the thought processes behind it all. Not just of the JWs, but of God Himself.

Unless you start looking at the bigger picture you will never "see the wood for the trees", which is what that old saying so forget the individual trees and study the wood as a whole, maybe even the forest.

If applying mercy is better than sticking to the letter of the law then the WTS should just allow JW's to take ALL blood components. Why only be halfway merciful and allow some but not all blood components?

Platelets are a minor component of blood and is forbidden. Makes no sense. And if the WTS wants to be merciful then why not allow JW's to take ALL components?

There is no scriptural basis for forbidding the taking of any blood component, thus there is no basis for disfellowshipping anyone for taking any blood component.

Banned

#82New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:31:13
@Teleologist Said

Sorry, posted early by accident.

The biblical precedent is for studying the subject and making a decision which shows love both for God and the Brotherhood. Are you so blinkered that you cannot see that?

@Teleologist Said

As I said before, you really do need to get that chip off yur shoulder and look at things properly, you are blinded by the hate for the brotherhood which comes through clearly and is something you share with God's chief enemy.

You have no basis for complaint other than petty nitpcking pver details, and no consideration for the bigger picture.

As I have said before. I would not take any blood component, but that is my choice and my conscience, and so personally I don't believe the Governing Body are right myself, but I do at least understand where they are comng from. I understand their attempt to balance love for God with Love for the Brotherhood, care for their spiritual needs with care for their physical health.

I also appreciate that they have let the Brotherhood something to decide for themselves, and there are many reasons for that. As I said, look at the bigger picture don't get myopic over details.

As Jesus said to the Pharisees as recorded at Luke 11:37-44 "When he had spoken this, a Pharisee requested him to dine with him. So he went in and reclined at the table. 38 However, the Pharisee was surprised at seeing that he did not first wash before the dinner. 39 But the Lord said to him: “Now YOU Pharisees, YOU cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but the inside of YOU is full of plunder and wickedness. 40 Unreasonable persons! He that made the outside made also the inside, did he not? 41 Nevertheless, give as gifts of mercy the things that are inside, and, look! all [other] things are clean about YOU. 42 But woe to YOU Pharisees, because YOU give the tenth of the mint and the rue and of every [other] vegetable, but YOU pass by the justice and the love of God! These things YOU were under obligation to do, but those other things not to omit. 43 Woe to YOU Pharisees, because YOU love the front seats in the synagogues and the greetings in the marketplaces! 44 Woe to YOU, because YOU are as those memorial tombs which are not in evidence, so that men walk upon them and do not know [it]!”
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#83New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 17:23:11
@MadCornishBiker Said

The biblical precedent is for studying the subject and making a decision which shows love both for God and the Brotherhood.

Speaking of the brotherhood, let's recapitulate our discussion so far.

The Jehovah's Witnesses (aka, 'the brotherhood' ), said that the early church fathers did not teach or believe in the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

They said Origen did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

They said Justin Martyr did not preach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

They said Tertullian did not preach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

They said Clement did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

The 'brotherhood' also quoted biblical scholars.

They said Mantey did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

There is some kind of pattern here that I can't quite put my finger on...
Edited: February 24, 2012 @ 17:23

Banned

#84New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 23:00:18
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Speaking of the brotherhood, let's recapitulate our discussion so far.

The Jehovah's Witnesses (aka, 'the brotherhood' ), said that the early church fathers did not teach or believe in the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

No, that is not what they say. They say that Jesus and the Apostles didn't teach any trinity and that the bible doesn't support it. There was a lot of dissension amongst the early fathers and even those that did believe in it couldn't support it as the evidence you have provided so far shows.

The fact that they say nothing in the Early Church Fathers writing supports the trinity does not mean that the Early Church Fathers didn't believe in it.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what the early church fathers believed or not since the Apostasy was well underway in the 2nd century, when they were writing. If you read the letters of the Apostles you will realise that they were fighting against that Apostasy while they were alive.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

They said Origen did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

Again, so far as you have been able to show me they said that nothing in his writings supported the trinity, not that he didn't teach it. Not the same thing at all.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

They said Justin Martyr did not preach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

Same answer as above.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

They said Tertullian did not preach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

They said Clement did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

Same answer as above but there is no issue with Christ being divine, only with him being equal, and co-eternal to his Father. As I have explained already, if you bothered to read what I posted.

@bob_the_fisherman Said
The 'brotherhood' also quoted biblical scholars.

They said Mantey did not teach the deity of Christ. They were wrong.

There is some kind of pattern here that I can't quite put my finger on...

Yes there is a pattern. The JWs are being misrepresented on Apostate sites, as so often is true.

Plus your posts fit the usual pattern of people not reading what I actually say, you certainly haven't.

I sometimes wonder why otherwise intelligent people such as yourself cannot grasp what I am actually saying but insist on turning it into what you want to believe I said. That is nto the behaviour of a truly rational person.

Let me summarise for you.

Your favourite Apostate sites say the JWs deny the divinity of Christ They don't

The things that the JWs deny about the trinity teaching and any similar teachings are:-

Those who teach the trinity teach that God and Christ are equal - the bible says not.

Those who teach the trinity say that God and Christ are co-eternal - the bible says not, since the bible explains that Jesus was the "firstborn of all creation" in other words was born - had a beginning - before anything else in creation did. God had no beginning.

Incidentally that exact translation of Colossians 1:15 not only comes from the NWT, but also from Riverside, YLT, ACV, ASV, ALT, and
ABP_Strongs according to studybible.com. That means at least 6 other translators read it the same way.

Those who teach the trinity say that the Holy Spirit is a personal being - the bible says not.

I have given much biblical evidence about all those point but you have chosen to ignore what the bible says in favour of what these Apostate sites tell you. All that proves is that you are desperate to have the JWs proven wrong whether or not they are.

The bible agrees that the one who became Jesus was either divine, of divine sort, of godlike sort, a godlike one, or whatever more accurate translations of John 1:1 describe Jesus as. They also feel that if John had meant that God and Christ were equal the would have used the same Greek word for both rather than using two different words Theon and Theos. The only reasonable explanation for the use of the two different words is to differentiate between the two beings.

Anything the bible agrees with, the JWs agree with.
Edited: February 24, 2012 @ 23:00

Banned

#85New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 23:02:54
@bob_the_fisherman Said

So in other words, it is JW doctrine that honesty is not necessary, and Jehovah's Witnesses do not need to tell the truth.

Thanks for that.

No, that is not what I said, read it again. You are very good at usiing the polititian's and journalist's trick of only picking on or two phrases out of context and then putting your own slant on it.

That to me is the height of dishonesty.

Banned

#86New Post! Feb 24, 2012 @ 23:05:51
@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, you agree that the Jehovah's attest that Clement did not preach the doctrine of the deity of Christ? In this, the JWs are clearly false.

Clement said, "“There was, then, a Word importing an unbeginning eternity; as also the Word itself, that is, the Son of God, who being, by equality of substance, one with the Father, is eternal and uncreate. [Note here that he says that Christ is eternal and uncreate - and he continues] That He always was The Word is signified by saying, "The word was in the beginning." [...]

He signifies by the appellation Father, that the Son also existed always, without beginning."

Now again, it is necessary to point out that the Jews explicitly stated that Christ, in saying he was the son of God, was making himself equal to God. That is the Jewish understanding of that term. And, as Jesus was Jewish, he understood this. As John about whom Clement is speaking, is also Jewish, it is clear that he too, understood this. In fact, John made this blisteringly clear when in John chapter 10, he actually said outright that the Jews wanted to kill Christ for claiming to be equal to God.

Well, if Clement had stopped at saying "equality of substance" your argument could possibly have some validity (but I do not know, as I do not feel the need to investigate the rationale for it). However, as Clement referred to Christ as "without beginning" and "uncreate," your argument is lost.

So, let's get this straight. The Jehovah's Witnesses say that Clement did not teach the Godhood of Christ.. However, he did.

The only logical conclusion then, is;

The Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong to say that Clement did not teach the deity of Christ.

Honestly, this is sophistry, at best. However, we will leave aside the Trinity for now, and instead, focus on the council of Nicaea, and its purpose. The First Council of Nicaea (325 AD) was called to deal with the heresy of Arianism, which denied the deity of Christ. This, at the very least, shows that the deity of Christ was a long held Christian belief.

And, as I have shown you, the writers the JWs use to disprove the trinity, all wrote of Christ being God.

And, as has been pointed out repeatedly, the early church fathers spoke of Christ being God, as the quote from Clement above shows (and as the quotes I gave you earlier from Justin Martyr etc, clearly show).

Ok, so, at the very least, we have seen that the JWs are wrong in asserting Tertullian did not support the Trinity.

Indeed, it is obvious that Tertullian supported the Trinity. He said, "all the scriptures attest the clear existence of, and distinction in, (the Persons of) the Trinity."

Later he also says, "Still, in these few quotations the distinction of Persons in the Trinity is clearly set forth."

It does not get much more blatant than that. The JWs are wrong.

Not when viewed in their entire context. But, apart from that, Christ "emptied himself" and "did not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped," but became less than he was - ie., less than God, in becoming a man. Paul actually makes this point in pretty blatant terms, as we have already discussed.

This idea might seem foolish to you - but, that is not surprising. After all, Paul also says that the message of the cross is foolish to those that are perishing. As you deny the truths of the Christian faith, is it any wonder that, to you, those truths are foolish?

Nor is it described as an impersonal active force. The JWs say that the Spirit is like electricity - yet I have never known electricity to speak, or be grieved, in the manner that the Bible says of the Holy Spirit.

We have done this to death.

Likewise with this.

Is there any point in my replying to you any more? You twist everything I say, you misrepresent what the society has said, and can't even read what the Apostate sites say correctly. I have answered all your points a number of times now but you insist on twisting the answers. Does truth and honesty mean nothing to you?

If you can't even read what I say and comment on it honestly and accurately why should I bother with you?
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#87New Post! Feb 25, 2012 @ 20:55:31
@MadCornishBiker Said

Your favourite Apostate sites say the JWs deny the divinity of Christ They don't

The things that the JWs deny about the trinity teaching and any similar teachings are:-

Those who teach the trinity teach that God and Christ are equal - the bible says not.

On God and Christ being equal - yes and no is the best answer. As Paul says, Christ *was* equal to God, but he "emptied himself," to become a man. So, yes, he is God, but, in becoming man he became less than the father. To me, it seems pretty straight forward.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Those who teach the trinity say that God and Christ are co-eternal

True. But, Jesus calls himself what God calls himself - "the first and the last." There cannot be two different beings that are the "first and last" can there? Is Jesus really the first and last? Or, did he lie?

And, John chapter 1 explicitly says that through Christ every created thing came into existence. Did Christ create himself, or, is John wrong? They are the only two alternatives. And if you throw in the fact that Paul also said the same in Colossians - that everything was created through Christ, it becomes apparent that Christ was not created.

@MadCornishBiker Said
- the bible says not, since the bible explains that Jesus was the "firstborn of all creation" in other words was born - had a beginning - before anything else in creation did. God had no beginning.

And as we have discussed, this is another example of the effect a lack of scholarship has on biblical interpretation. First begotten - (prototokos) - did not mean first created, the word meant having authority or sovereignty over all created things. If Paul had sought to suggest that Christ was a created being, or, had a beginning, he would have said protoktistos. And, as this would contradict Christ's own claim to be the first and last, it is clear that Paul used the correct term.

And it says in John 5:17 https://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/joh/chapter_005.htm But he answered them: “My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working.” 18 On this account, indeed, the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God.

You may perhaps note here that John says that Jesus was "calling God his own Father, making himself equal to God. It really does not get much more blatant than that. What he does not say, is that the Jews wrongly thought that he made himself equal to God. Does this mean that John got this all horribly wrong too?

The error in the JWs doctrine could be fixed by them learning what the term "Son of God" meant, as used by Christ.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Incidentally that exact translation of Colossians 1:15 not only comes from the NWT, but also from Riverside, YLT, ACV, ASV, ALT, and
ABP_Strongs according to studybible.com. That means at least 6 other translators read it the same way.

MCB, I have never disputed with you that there are others that believe what the JWs believe regarding the deity of Christ. It is true that the view held by the JWs has been held by a minority of people historically, and has been refuted as heresy - namely Arianism. In fact, if you knew anything of church history, you would know that the First Council of Nicaea was called specifically to deal with this heresy.

The fact that the heresy of Arianism existed, shows that the heresy of Arianism existed. I therefore do not even try to say that it didn't. I merely point out that it was a minority view not held by the early church fathers, and was written off as heresy.

Therefore, I only dispute the legitimacy of the JW view. It is indisputably a minority view, and was not a view held by the early church fathers.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Those who teach the trinity say that the Holy Spirit is a personal being - the bible says not.

And the bible never says that the holy spirit is an impersonal active force either. But it does say that the holy spirit speaks, grieves, intercedes etc. These are qualities of personhood, they are not qualities generally attributed to electricity. Or, perhaps you could explain to me how it is that an active force like electricity can experience grief?

@MadCornishBiker Said
I have given much biblical evidence about all those point but you have chosen to ignore what the bible says in favour of what these Apostate sites tell you. All that proves is that you are desperate to have the JWs proven wrong whether or not they are.

Desperation has nothing to do with it. I disagree with you for perfectly valid reasons.

And I can say the same about your belief too.

Over and over I showed conclusively that the JWs are wrong, not just in their biblical interpretation, but in the systematic way they misquote others to support their view.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The bible agrees that the one who became Jesus was either divine, of divine sort, of godlike sort, a godlike one, or whatever more accurate translations of John 1:1 describe Jesus as. They also feel that if John had meant that God and Christ were equal the would have used the same Greek word for both rather than using two different words Theon and Theos. The only reasonable explanation for the use of the two different words is to differentiate between the two beings.

Anything the bible agrees with, the JWs agree with.

And, yet again, the lack of scholarship of the JWs presents a problem. As both theon and theos refer to God, and are in fact, the same word in different form, there is no reason for interpreting this as you suggest.

Theos is the accusative noun form of "God".
Theon is the nominative noun form of "God".

And again, placed in the context of the rest of the verse claiming that everything that was created, was created through Christ, it becomes apparent that Christ cannot have been created, or, the verse is wrong.

@MadCornishBiker Said

No, that is not what I said, read it again. You are very good at usiing the polititian's and journalist's trick of only picking on or two phrases out of context and then putting your own slant on it.

That to me is the height of dishonesty.

Which is precisely my objection to the JWs. They have been shown to have done that by me here, in relation to their quote on the history of the trinity, their statements regarding the early church fathers, and in their use of Dr. Julius Mantey.

I wonder why it is wrong for others to do it, but ok when the JWs do it.

For example, the JWs explicitly state, "Thus, the testimony of the Bible and of history makes clear that the Trinity was unknown throughout Biblical times and for several centuries thereafter." (The last paragraph in the section entitled, "What the Ante-Nicene Fathers Taught," in "Should you believe in the Trinity?" ) https://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/index.htm

Now, throughout that section, the JWs quote early church fathers, to make it appear as though they don't support the trinity. However, as the quotes I have provided show, every single one of them actually did support the trinity, and explicitly wrote on their support of it.

The JWs are wrong. Embarrassingly wrong, in fact. That you refuse to see what sticks out like dog balls to any other person, is not my problem, to be honest.

Anyway, I agree with you that our conversation is pointless. I have believed that for quite some time now.

You begin from the position that no matter what is presented to you, no matter how convincing the evidence showing that the JWs have things wrong, that only the JWs are right. You are perfectly entitled to believe that of course, but it does make discussion pointless.
Edited: February 25, 2012 @ 21:03
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#88New Post! Feb 25, 2012 @ 21:14:36
@MadCornishBiker Said

No, that is not what they say. They say that Jesus and the Apostles didn't teach any trinity and that the bible doesn't support it. There was a lot of dissension amongst the early fathers and even those that did believe in it couldn't support it as the evidence you have provided so far shows.

So why then, do the JWs say, https://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/index.htm
"Thus, the testimony of the Bible and of history makes clear that the Trinity was unknown throughout Biblical times and for several centuries thereafter."

They say the trinity was *unknown* for centuries after biblical times. As I have provided quotes from the early church fathers where they explicitly support the trinity, we can conclusively say that in this the JWs are wrong. Correct?

Banned

#89New Post! Feb 25, 2012 @ 22:17:06
@bob_the_fisherman Said

So why then, do the JWs say, https://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/index.htm
"Thus, the testimony of the Bible and of history makes clear that the Trinity was unknown throughout Biblical times and for several centuries thereafter."

They say the trinity was *unknown* for centuries after biblical times. As I have provided quotes from the early church fathers where they explicitly support the trinity, we can conclusively say that in this the JWs are wrong. Correct?

Did they mean that the trinity was unknown as an official teaching, or unknown as a philosophical idea? They could hardly be saying that it was unknown as a philosophical idea, since there have been trinities since the Egyptians, if not before. However it was unknown as a Christian teaching because it was not officially introduced into Christianity until the 4th century.

The fact that some were arguing for it from the middle of the second century onwards possibly before judging by the letters in the bible, does not mean that is was known as a biblical teaching.

The very fact that Origen, Justin and others were still arguing about it actually demonstrates that as a fact.

To me, that is what the JWs mean, but them I've long got past trying to pull them to pieces because I now know them for what they are, God's people on earth.

The point remains that it is not a biblical teaching and no amount of twisting the scriptures, or even changing them make that true because it would be necessary to alter far too many scriptures to make that possible and prevent the contradictions that reveal the trinity to be false.

I have always said that I am not convinced that the JWs have all the truth, simply that they are far nearer to it than any other group.

Of course I have an advantage over you that I have spent enough time with them to know how they think and what their motivations are. You haven't, all you have really done is listen to their detractors, who generally have an axe to grind.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#90New Post! Feb 25, 2012 @ 22:42:20
@MadCornishBiker Said

Did they mean that the trinity was unknown as an official teaching, or unknown as a philosophical idea? They could hardly be saying that it was unknown as a philosophical idea, since there have been trinities since the Egyptians, if not before. However it was unknown as a Christian teaching because it was not officially introduced into Christianity until the 4th century.

Is this purely semantics on your part? The Trinity was an accepted part of Christian theology from the time of the early church fathers, as Origen, Justin Martyr etc., show in their writing.

The fact that they put forth an apologetic to argue in favour of this doctrine shows that, if nothing else.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The fact that some were arguing for it from the middle of the second century onwards possibly before judging by the letters in the bible, does not mean that is was known as a biblical teaching.

And it also does not mean that it was not known either.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The very fact that Origen, Justin and others were still arguing about it actually demonstrates that as a fact.

They were not solely arguing about it, in as much as they were arguing for it. This shows that not everyone accepted the belief, however this says nothing about whether the belief is right or wrong.

@MadCornishBiker Said
To me, that is what the JWs mean, but them I've long got past trying to pull them to pieces because I now know them for what they are, God's people on earth.

That is fair enough, you are in fact, perfectly entitled to hold that view. I obviously disagree, and for reasons that I consider perfectly valid.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The point remains that it is not a biblical teaching and no amount of twisting the scriptures, or even changing them make that true because it would be necessary to alter far too many scriptures to make that possible and prevent the contradictions that reveal the trinity to be false.

No, it is not a fact that the bible does not offer support for the trinity doctrine. It does. I am prepared to accept that it is a matter of interpretation, as after all, this is true. What you and I believe about the issue is solely based on interpretation, be it ourts or others.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Of course I have an advantage over you that I have spent enough time with them to know how they think and what their motivations are. You haven't, all you have really done is listen to their detractors, who generally have an axe to grind.

Not really. It is true that I have looked at what the JWs say, and, have looked at what their detractors say. However, it is also true that I have looked at what people said prior to the JWs even existing, as well as those that speak now, without even mentioning the JWs.

I personally have no axe to grind. I am not a member of any church organisation. The closest to that that I get, is getting together with other Christians, some of whom attend various churches, and some of whom, like me, do not.

Upon first encountering the JWs, I was happy enough to listen to their argument. I did not simply write it off as false, but listened to their view as presented by their representative that knocked on my door (and subsequently, other members of the church that have accompanied him).

In fitting with all reasonable expectations of someone using the logical mind with which we exist, I ask questions. Most answers I find unsatisfactory. Does this mean that I am right and they are wrong? No. But in good conscience, I will not believe to be right a thing I believe to be wrong.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs