AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#61New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 15:00:28
@shadowen Said

As an aside, from 2012-2015 the US imported more goods from the UK than they exported.

That's because the UK can't afford our stuff.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#62New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 15:01:07
@shadowen Said

Would America allow a parliament in Guatemala to overrule the US Congress? No

Would America allow a court in Peru to dictate to the US Supreme Court? No

Would America allow its citizens to be extradited to Cuba without trial? No

Would America allow another country to control its military? No

Would America allow a foreign power to undermine its healthcare system? No

Would America throw its borders and green card system open to an entire continent and allow uncontrolled immigration from overseas? No

In what way is either Obama or America overruling, dictating, extraditing, controlling, undermining and/or allowing uncontrolled immigration to either the UK or the EU?

@shadowen Said

How can President Obama stand before the British people and with a straight face try to influence them into voting to deny ourselves the freedoms and sovereignty which the American people hold so dear?

Actually he isn't doing what you are describing

The UK already put themselves in the EU.

The question is whether or not the UK will remain in the EU.

Obama is just trying to influence the citizens of the UK to remain in the EU.

How can President Obama stand before the British people and with a straight face?

It is massively easy thing to do. He believes it is in the best interest of the USA, the UK, the EU and the world.

He might be wrong. But, all he is doing in his mind is supporting both the UK and all the other countries of the EU...and the world...and the USA.

It is up to the citizens of the UK to listen to him or not listen to him.

Edit/Addition - Two (2) questions:

1. Doesn't David Cameron support the UK staying in the EU?

2. If David Cameron supports the UK staying in the EU, has it occurred to you that he might have asked for Obama to weigh in on the topic?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#63New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 15:04:40
@chaski Said

It is up to the citizens of the UK to listen to him or not listen to him.

And, apparently, the Australians as well.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#64New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 15:13:32
I was just reading:

"...the uncertainty inherent in leaving the EU will probably mean that most British voters will choose to maintain the status quo..." as in stay in the EU.

Which would mean, if it is true, that Obama is only pushing for what the majority of British voters will most likely do...vote to remain in the EU.

Bad Obama...very bad!
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#65New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 15:33:40
@chaski Said

I was just reading:

"...the uncertainty inherent in leaving the EU will probably mean that most British voters will choose to maintain the status quo..." as in stay in the EU.

Which would mean, if it is true, that Obama is only pushing for what the majority of British voters will most likely do...vote to remain in the EU.

Bad Obama...very bad!

My grievance (for want of a better word as i'm not really that bothered in all honesty) isn't what he's saying it's the point that he's saying it.
He shouldn't be "pushing" anything it's not his place.
I doubt very much if the roles were reversed if Americans would say " oh yeah ,well thanks buddy.We'll take it on board" if David Cameron started "pushing" advice on US agenda's. They'd tell him to piss off and mind his own business
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#66New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 16:11:12
@Hitting40 Said

My grievance (for want of a better word as i'm not really that bothered in all honesty) isn't what he's saying it's the point that he's saying it.
He shouldn't be "pushing" anything it's not his place.
I doubt very much if the roles were reversed if Americans would say " oh yeah ,well thanks buddy.We'll take it on board" if David Cameron started "pushing" advice on US agenda's. They'd tell him to piss off and mind his own business

The fact is that the alpha dogs always get to decide what the pack is going to do. It's always been that way, and it will always be that way. The second fact is that the UK is not an alpha dog any longer, and your beta dog status is in doubt if you leave the EU. Since you're currently the Beta dog, don't you think it's appropriate that the alpha dog tells you upfront that you'll be dropped to the back of the pack if you don't listen, or would you rather find out the hard way?

So, yes, you can say "Piss off and mind your own business", but the harsh reality is that it's very much YOUR business. The US is not telling you what to do, we're telling you what will happen if you do it.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#67New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 16:44:18
@shadowen Said

As far as i can tell the democrats echo Obama's view whilst the Republican's strongly oppose it. Obviously no surprise there. Infact the Republican's are saying that if the UK left the EU they would go to the front of the queue.

I suspect that those who favour remaining in the EU are happy enough with what Obama said whilst those who support leaving arent.

Note - Obama wont be president when any potential trade deals with the EU (or even the UK) are thrashed out. So not sure how he can even say how the US government will react should the UK vote to leave the EU as he wont be a part of the US government!

Though considering the Republican nominee will most likely be Trump, and the s*** the UK has said about him. His response is more likely to be be f*** off, you're fired, than to kiss a** and bring them to the front of the queue.

#68New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 16:47:54
@boxer Said

The fact is that the alpha dogs always get to decide what the pack is going to do. It's always been that way, and it will always be that way. The second fact is that the UK is not an alpha dog any longer, and your beta dog status is in doubt if you leave the EU. Since you're currently the Beta dog, don't you think it's appropriate that the alpha dog tells you upfront that you'll be dropped to the back of the pack if you don't listen, or would you rather find out the hard way?

So, yes, you can say "Piss off and mind your own business", but the harsh reality is that it's very much YOUR business. The US is not telling you what to do, we're telling you what will happen if you do it.

I dont think we've been the alpha dogs since we stopped travelling to other lands and demanding it was ours to be honest. It took the US to intervene for us to win the last war. I don't believe anyone is still naive enough to believe we are.
At the end of the day though we are our own country and should make our own decisions. Off our own backs whether it's the right or wrong one. It's not upto the Us to try and sway that decision one way or the other. We are big enough and ugly enough to mess it up all on our own.
No matter what anyone says, the US would not receive it well if the rolls were reversed.
It isnt a pissing contest after all.

#69New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 16:52:05
@DiscordTiger Said

Though considering the Republican nominee will most likely be Trump, and the s*** the UK has said about him. His response is more likely to be be f*** off, you're fired, than to kiss a** and bring them to the front of the queue.

Yeah i agree.
Trump isnt held in very good esteem here because of the whole thing with Scotland.

#70New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 17:01:09
On the situation as a whole though...
I believe we have no choice but to stay in EU.
It'll ruin us if we vote out.
Given the option though i believe a lot of U.K citizens would opt out, if it wasn't for the profound effect it will have on us a country.

#71New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 17:04:36
@boxer Said

Thinking on it we're like spoilt little children really arn't we.
We just don't like being told what to do.
Even if we agree with it
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#72New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 19:13:15
@Hitting40 Said

What if David Cameron told us he thought the we should do something that we were probably going to do already?

But you are right, we americans would probably still tell him to piss off...as the British should feel free to do to Obama...hell we tell him to piss off all the time.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#73New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 20:06:41
I don't think that we should be using a "we are superior than you" attitude in telling other countries what to do, but I don't really think Obama was doing that - just giving advice. The U.K. certainly has the right to follow it or not. It is intervention that gets us in trouble, which we should do less of, unless of course we are the ones being threatened (see North Korea). Otherwise, all world policing should be left in the hands of a collective agreement and effort, via the United Nations, NATO, or the like.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#74New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 21:47:18
@shadowen Said

There is a world of difference btw Cameron criticising Trump and Obama saying to British voters that if you don't vote to remain within the EU then the UK will go to the "back of the queue" in terms of negotiating a trade deal with the US.

Agreed.

For a leader to state a preference one way or another seems reasonable and is quite normal behaviour. Obama's words seem to me like a threat (although a very pointless, irrelevant and hollow one) to the British people, along the lines of, 'do we want, or suffer the consequences.' I must admit that if I was in Britain I would be voting to leave the Eurapian (sic) Union anyway, so the only effect Obama's words would have on me would be to make me get out and proselytize even harder for others to vote to leave. Other than that, Obama is a bit of a nothing, and he is also soon to become completely irrelevant as his time is almost up.
Leez On May 07, 2017

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#75New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 22:22:18
Obama gave his personal or political opinion as any individual who can rightly do so. The only difference, he is currently a figure of power and a politician, so his opinion will more likely be the healdines of the media.
It makes no such difference to people voting with or without much knowledge about policies, or least, the advantages and disadvantages of remaining in the EU.
However, it does influence the vote of those who adore him as their god / celebrity figure. Indeed, there is an obsession amongst the younsters and some 'grown up' about celebrities in the UK - politicians included.
I have been in the favour of the EU without understanding anything at all, as it was already in place when I was born - no choice.
Now, having the opportunity to vote, I'm out.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs