UK Elections & Politics

The European Union

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#31New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 15:34:53
What do Britons think of the US President making public comments re how people should vote in the upcoming EU referendum?

Note - he also publicly inserted himself into the Scottish referendum as well.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#32New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 15:44:51
@shadowen Said

What do Britons think of the US President making public comments re how people should vote in the upcoming EU referendum?

Probably the same thing that Americans think when the leaders of other countries weigh in on US presidential elections.

Note - Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump, which would suggest that they want americans to not vote for Trump in the upcoming USA elections. Many world leaders including Cameron and Sarkozy endorsed Obama in past elections.

Sharing their opinions is what world leaders do. Trying to influence people both in and outside of their country is part of their jobs.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#33New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 15:59:23
@chaski Said

Probably the same thing that Americans think when the leaders of other countries weigh in on US presidential elections.

Note - Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump, which would suggest that they want americans to not vote for Trump in the upcoming USA elections. Many world leaders including Cameron and Sarkozy endorsed Obama in past elections.

Sharing their opinions is what world leaders do.

True, but let one female in a country/western band say they're not proud that the US president is from their state. You would think that the end of the world was only days way!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#34New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 16:02:05
@Deal_With_It Said

True, but let one female in a country/western band say they're not proud that the US president is from their state. You would think that the end of the world was only days way!

What Country/Western band is from Kenya?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#35New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 16:09:28
@Deal_With_It Said

True...a lot of people got pissed and projected a fair amount of hate at the Dixie Chicks for their comments regarding Pres. Bush.

Stevens Pass, Washington
#36New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 16:11:11
@mrmhead Said

What Country/Western band is from Kenya?

Hahaha, no the the girls from Texas. Dixie Chicks they no like Bush.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#37New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 16:18:10
@Deal_With_It Said

Hahaha, no the the girls from Texas. Dixie Chicks they no like Bush.

Oh ... forgot about that one

Stevens Pass, Washington
#38New Post! Apr 26, 2016 @ 16:19:02
@chaski Said

A lot of people got pissed and projected a fair amount of hate at the Dixie Chicks for their comments regarding Pres. Bush.

Yes, most of the country radio stations boycotted them. No Dixie Chicks were on the airwaves for quit a long time.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#39New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 02:50:48
@chaski Said

Sharing their opinions is what world leaders do. Trying to influence people both in and outside of their country is part of their jobs.

There is a world of difference btw Cameron criticising Trump and Obama saying to British voters that if you don't vote to remain within the EU then the UK will go to the "back of the queue" in terms of negotiating a trade deal with the US. The UK is probably the USA's closest and most powerful ally and yet this is how they are treated. It's do what we want or the so called 'special relationship' is effectively over! Nice way to talk to one of your best friends!

What i find annoying as well is the sheer hypocrisy of the US government in telling the UK to stay in the EU for no US politician would ever agree to giving up any power to a third party. And yet this is what the UK has had to do to be a member of the EU, and this is what the US insist that they keep on doing. So Obama is saying in effect that Britons need to vote to stay within the EU and to continue to give the faceless bureaucrats of Brussels control over aspects of policies that directly affect Britons when he would never do such a thing himself. And if they don't do as he wants then they go to the back of the queue in terms of any potential trade deal with the US. And you think this is the same as Cameron commenting on Trump?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#40New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 03:11:29
@shadowen Said

There is a world of difference btw Cameron criticising Trump and Obama saying to British voters that if you don't vote to remain within the EU then the UK will go to the "back of the queue" in terms of negotiating a trade deal with the US. The UK is probably the USA's closest and most powerful ally and yet this is how they are treated. It's do what we want or the so called 'special relationship' is effectively over! Nice way to talk to one of your best friends!

What i find annoying as well is the sheer hypocrisy of the US government in telling the UK to stay in the EU for no US politician would ever agree to giving up any power to a third party. And yet this is what the UK has had to do to be a member of the EU, and this is what the US insist that they keep on doing. So Obama is saying in effect that Britons need to vote to stay within the EU and to continue to give the faceless bureaucrats of Brussels control over aspects of policies that directly affect Britons when he would never do such a thing himself. And if they don't do as he wants then they go to the back of the queue in terms of any potential trade deal with the US. And you think this is the same as Cameron commenting on Trump?

No.

But if you had actually read what I wrote you would know that.

I think it is ultimately no different than Cameron and/or other international leaders (literally throughout history and current times) endorsing or not endorsing politicians or political positions in the the USA and/or other countries around the world.

If you honestly think that your country's politicians and/ or the UK's politicians don't do the same thing on a regular basis, you are naive.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#41New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 04:39:43
@chaski Said

No.

But if you had actually read what I wrote you would know that.

I think it is ultimately no different than Cameron and/or other international leaders (literally throughout history and current times) endorsing or not endorsing politicians or political positions in the the USA and/or other countries around the world.

If you honestly think that your country's politicians and/ or the UK's politicians don't do the same thing on a regular basis, you are naive.

You said "Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump..."

So criticise/comment...

Fact is that telling an ally that they should vote for something you yourself would never vote for, and that if they don't they would go to the back of the queue is hardly the same as criticising Trump.

Do all countries seek to influence events in a way that is to their advantage? Of course they do. But give me just one example where the UK has taken a similar stance to that of Obama. One example of where the UK has told US voters to act in a way the UK would never consider acting or else...

For me he went too far. If you see things differently then fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that his comments are significantly different to "many world leaders, including Cameron," criticising Trump.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#42New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 04:55:28
@shadowen Said

You said "Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump..."

Yes, but what I said in total was...

"Note - Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump, which would suggest that they want americans to not vote for Trump in the upcoming USA elections. Many world leaders including Cameron and Sarkozy endorsed Obama in past elections.

Sharing their opinions is what world leaders do. Trying to influence people both in and outside of their country is part of their jobs."

If you try to pay attention, it will help your poor reading skills.

And...

@shadowen Said

Fact is that telling an ally that they should vote for something you yourself would never vote for,

This is an irrelevant comment since, and I am sure that you know this, the USA isn't part of Europe and couldn't not vote to be part of it even if they wanted to.

@shadowen Said

For me he went too far.

So you honestly think that Obama is that influential and powerful...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#43New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 05:05:50
@chaski Said

Yes, but what I said in total was...

"Note - Many world leaders, including Cameron, have criticized Trump, which would suggest that they want americans to not vote for Trump in the upcoming USA elections. Many world leaders including Cameron and Sarkozy endorsed Obama in past elections.

Sharing their opinions is what world leaders do. Trying to influence people both in and outside of their country is part of their jobs."

Hmmm, comprehension obviously isnt one of your strong points. If you bothered to read what i posted i said:

"Do all countries seek to influence events in a way that is to their advantage? Of course they do".

My point is the WAY Obama has sought to do this is very different from how pollies from friendly nations have historically acted. He is saying vote to remain in the EU or go to the back of the queue.

So again, my point isnt that he is attempting to influence British decision making it's HOW he is attempting to do so. Are you capable of understanding the distinction?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#44New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 06:20:59
@shadowen Said

My point is the WAY Obama has sought to do this

Oh. Now I get it. Its the "way" Obama tried to do this....

As a U.S. president who only has less than 10 months left in office made a public statement about his opinion, which he has no way of backing or trying to implement.

Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#45New Post! Apr 27, 2016 @ 09:56:59
@shadowen Said

Note - he also publicly inserted himself into the Scottish referendum as well.

We think he's an interfering arsehole
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs