Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 17:53:47
Si vrai. Tellement très, très vrai.

How is it that the players of one sport can take massive hit after massive hit, often playing on when they are seriously bloodied.... and have to be ordered off the field by the referee to be stitched up before coming back for more. Some play on with even worse injuries, and yet, in the "round ball" game, the slightest tap will leave them writhing around on the floor as if they have been run over by a tank.

I watch.... and have played... this hard, physical, collision sport (and trust me, the girls get stuck in..!!) and accepted the blows and the pain without quibbling and yet I watch fooballers on the TV grizzling at the slightest tap on the ankle.

How can two games produce such different participants..?

Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#2New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 17:58:42
Do you mean football as in soccer? I know that Rugby is super hardcore.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:02:13
@CPat92 Said

It's also s*** to watch. Fun to play right enough but a terrible spectator sport.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:03:44
@CPat92 Said

Yes, Pat, I do mean the game you guys know as "soccer" (although the rest of the world calls it football) because you have to differentiate it from your own game.

You should try playing rugby sometime. It will hurt, but it's incredibly exhilerating to play. If you like sport, you'd love it.

Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:05:46
@Jennifer1984 Said

Yes, Pat, I do mean the game you guys know as "soccer" (although the rest of the world calls it football) because you have to differentiate it from your own game.

You should try playing rugby sometime. It will hurt, but it's incredibly exhilerating to play. If you like sport, you'd love it.

It does seem really interesting. I never played football before, only American Football.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:06:25
@jmo Said

It's also s*** to watch. Fun to play right enough but a terrible spectator sport.

The difference there, Geoff, is that Rugby is all about the players. The game isn't played for the benefit of spectators. It's there for the benefit of those who play it. Football is all about the fans. Take the fans out of the game and it would cease to exist.

But the point of this is about the attitudes towards physical competition. My dad tells me there was a time when football was a hard game too, but it's gone soft in the last twenty years. What is your take on that..?
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#7New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:08:36
You made this thread for me didn't you because of my confusion of football, soccer and what the heck is rugby then.

All I know of rugby is that I can buy a rugby shirt and its a striped top of two different color and has a collar.

It is amazing how in one sport, someone can really do damage but hey keep playing, unless, its really bad of course, and in another sport, one small thing happens and they are out of the game and going on like its the biggest injury ever.

Someone pulls a hamstring in baseball and they are pretty much done for the day. In hockey, you can have the crap beat out of you, your teeth fall out on the ice and you get your stitches and come back in the game for more.

I am not sure of the injuries in Rugby or Le Soccer but from the small amount I have seen of Le Soccer, I do not see a lot of injury or anything. That is not a dig, I am sure there are some but it could be when I have watched, there was none. It does not seem like aggressive sport with a lot of tackles and stuff like what we call football here but I have no idea how it does not hurt the head to hit a ball off of it. I know me and when things are coming at me, I cower, duck and throw my hands up, like frig I am ging to let a ball hit in my head/face area.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:09:37
@CPat92 Said

It does seem really interesting. I never played football before, only American Football.

One of the things that has always intrigued me about American football, is how those helmets don't cause as many injuries as they prevent. I don't know how much they weigh, but there must be a lot of stress on the neck muscles and cervical spine when the head gets thrown about in tackles and the like. Players may not get fractured skulls, but whiplash must be a major risk..!!
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#9New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:11:25
@Jennifer1984 Said

One of the things that has always intrigued me about American football, is how those helmets don't cause as many injuries as they prevent. I don't know how much they weigh, but there must be a lot of stress on the neck muscles and cervical spine when the head gets thrown about in tackles and the like. Players may not get fractured skulls, but whiplash must be a major risk..!!

Many American Football players get injured with the helmet. One year a player tried to tackle another and he went in head first. The injury was very serious. Now he is no longer able to play American Football.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#10New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:13:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

I think...I hope you got that backwards.

I wonder how much of this issue is affected by expectations. Football isn't supposed to be a contact sport, so its participants don't prepare for being hit or injured by another player. Rugby, on the other hand, is a contact sport so the injuries are expected and prepared for.

The same argument could be used in DSG's baseball/hockey comparison...although a pulled muscle is a pretty serious baseball injury since most of the sport is based on running.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:16:33
@Jennifer1984 Said

The difference there, Geoff, is that Rugby is all about the players. The game isn't played for the benefit of spectators. It's there for the benefit of those who play it. Football is all about the fans. Take the fans out of the game and it would cease to exist.

But the point of this is about the attitudes towards physical competition. My dad tells me there was a time when football was a hard game too, but it's gone soft in the last twenty years. What is your take on that..?

I think the game is better when it's softer. Prettiest football in the world is played by teams who play football rather than those who focus on being a 'hard' team.

, Canada
#12New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:16:54
@Jennifer1984 Said

NFL is very harcore with tackles and other things. It shocks me that there are not even more injuries.

But saying that, I have no idea how Le Soccer players do not get concussion from having a ball land on their head with no helmet.

In the hockey, they fight a lot and have helmets. I am not 100% sure but I think they have a rule now, you can take off your own helmet to fight but can no longer take off the helmet of another player. You see, throwing fists is common as they drop gloves and if I hit your helmet it hurts my hand so before they used to take off helmet of the other player but many protested this as it causes injury to the other guys head and hockey, its very bad to hurt someones head and big trouble. I am not allowed to check you into boards from behind. The best player is out right now from dirty hits to the back of his head. He has severe concussion and only now, about a year later is he cleared for contact meaning he can put black helmet on like the rest of the team for practice and they can hit him. Hit him as in term they use for contact, not an actual hit like a fight. Its unclear when he can return to NHL.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:18:06
@DorkySupergirl Said

You made this thread for me didn't you because of my confusion of football, soccer and what the heck is rugby then.

All I know of rugby is that I can buy a rugby shirt and its a striped top of two different color and has a collar.

It is amazing how in one sport, someone can really do damage but hey keep playing, unless, its really bad of course, and in another sport, one small thing happens and they are out of the game and going on like its the biggest injury ever.

Someone pulls a hamstring in baseball and they are pretty much done for the day. In hockey, you can have the crap beat out of you, your teeth fall out on the ice and you get your stitches and come back in the game for more.

I am not sure of the injuries in Rugby or Le Soccer but from the small amount I have seen of Le Soccer, I do not see a lot of injury or anything. That is not a dig, I am sure there are some but it could be when I have watched, there was none. It does not seem like aggressive sport with a lot of tackles and stuff like what we call football here but I have no idea how it does not hurt the head to hit a ball off of it. I know me and when things are coming at me, I cower, duck and throw my hands up, like frig I am ging to let a ball hit in my head/face area.

Awww bless... no hun, not intended for you. I was prompted by the cartoon I saw in one of my French magazines after the world cup final played last Sunday between France and New Zealand (hence it being in French).

I've noticed that Ice Hockey is quite aggressive too, and played at speed all that colliding on the boards must be dangerous, but they seem to get on with it.

To give you something like the attitude of rugby players, not long ago, England had a player named Richard Hill. He would frequently get his head split open during games. He would go off, pouring blood, get stitched up and then come back on and carry on playing. One day the England team doctor looked at his medical records and found that, playing for England alone (not including his club matches), he had had a total of more than 100 stitches put into various wounds on his head in the course of matches. The rest of the team had a special cake baked for him, decorated around the edge with 100 sutures (in sugar icing) to celebrate his little landmark.

I'm not trying to impress anybody with "machismo", I'm trying to find out why footballers are so limp and feeble when it comes to "taking one for the team".

, Canada
#14New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:20:58
@someone_else Said

I think...I hope you got that backwards.

I wonder how much of this issue is affected by expectations. Football isn't supposed to be a contact sport, so its participants don't prepare for being hit or injured by another player. Rugby, on the other hand, is a contact sport so the injuries are expected and prepared for.

The same argument could be used in DSG's baseball/hockey comparison...although a pulled muscle is a pretty serious baseball injury since most of the sport is based on running.

Baseball is not even close to the physical exertion of hockey. Even I could run bases but I would die playing a hockey game.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#15New Post! Oct 26, 2011 @ 18:24:08
It's soccer, not football. Football is AMERICAN FUTBAL. Get with the times already.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs