Religion

The Dalai Lama and Pizza

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 19:58:20
Someone posted this on another forum, and thought it was worth a look......
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 20:00:14
I've seen this How awkward, the TV presenter should really know better.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 20:03:33
That cracked me up. I thought it was hilarious that he thought the hand motions would help explain the punchline.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#4New Post! Jun 16, 2011 @ 20:17:17
That's hilarious.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 17, 2011 @ 09:08:15
Does anyone catch what the Dalai Lama actually says around the 44 second mark of the video? Something about "particularly possible" or some such. I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Not a dude.

Deleted

#6New Post! Jun 17, 2011 @ 12:46:44
@tariki Said

Does anyone catch what the Dalai Lama actually says around the 44 second mark of the video? Something about "particularly possible" or some such. I'd like to know.

Thanks!

He was looking to someone off screen who was telling him that the reporter said "Pizza" and he was trying to repeat it. So, at the risk of sounding like a Little Caeser's ad...what he said was "Pizza? pizza."

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 07:12:57
@someone_else Said

He was looking to someone off screen who was telling him that the reporter said "Pizza" and he was trying to repeat it. So, at the risk of sounding like a Little Caeser's ad...what he said was "Pizza? pizza."

someone_else, thanks for this, but I must say that you might have been listening to the wrong bit. I've asked on another forum and been offered........"theoretically possible", which seems theoretically possible.....

Anyway, just to get serious about his (chin in, head up, deep breath)...

Make me one with everything..........theoretically possible. Becoming one with everything is a bit of a parody of the "eastern" viewpoint, if I might say so, based more upon the words of those such as Sir Edwin Arnold in his ""The Light of Asia", something about the dewdrop slipping into the shining sea..... The symbolism within the Pure Land sees gold as representing the undifferentiated nature of enlightenment, while the lotus flower (which grows out of the muck) symbolises each unique individual. So the Pure Land is full of infinite golden lotus flowers. Merton speaks of the Hidden Ground of Love, and a consciousness born of such, prior to the subject-object split.....and I would suppose, subject to it. Seriously, my own mind tends to fuzz out at most of this, and I just start thinking whether or not the cat needs feeding.

My eyes being hindered by blind passions,
I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
Yet the great compassion, without tiring,
Illumines me always.

(From "Hymns of The Pure Land Masters", Shinran)

Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 07:49:48
Pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, LSD and a free copy of The Beatles White Album.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 09:54:04
@Electric_Banana Said

Pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, LSD and a free copy of The Beatles White Album.

The Beatles White Album! I still remember when the first noise of the plane landing and the roar of "Back In The USSR"......

....let me hear your balalaikas ringing out......come and keep your comrade warm!!!

drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#10New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 14:46:49
I think he said that it was particularly impossible. I listened over it a few times and that is the best I could get.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 15:06:59
@drman321 Said

I think he said that it was particularly impossible. I listened over it a few times and that is the best I could get.

Yes, perhaps, thanks! That's more in line with "becoming one with everything" being in fact a rather poor parody of Buddhist/"eastern" thought/teaching, as I mentioned before in this thread.

Maybe "practically" impossible?

Anyone got the guys phone number?
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#12New Post! Jun 19, 2011 @ 16:06:07
The Lama? Yeah I've got it right here. It is....... um....... just a second. Ah there it is

867-5309.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#13New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 15:21:15
@tariki Said

someone_else, thanks for this, but I must say that you might have been listening to the wrong bit. I've asked on another forum and been offered........"theoretically possible", which seems theoretically possible.....

Anyway, just to get serious about his (chin in, head up, deep breath)...

Make me one with everything..........theoretically possible. Becoming one with everything is a bit of a parody of the "eastern" viewpoint, if I might say so, based more upon the words of those such as Sir Edwin Arnold in his ""The Light of Asia", something about the dewdrop slipping into the shining sea..... The symbolism within the Pure Land sees gold as representing the undifferentiated nature of enlightenment, while the lotus flower (which grows out of the muck) symbolises each unique individual. So the Pure Land is full of infinite golden lotus flowers. Merton speaks of the Hidden Ground of Love, and a consciousness born of such, prior to the subject-object split.....and I would suppose, subject to it. Seriously, my own mind tends to fuzz out at most of this, and I just start thinking whether or not the cat needs feeding.

My eyes being hindered by blind passions,
I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
Yet the great compassion, without tiring,
Illumines me always.

(From "Hymns of The Pure Land Masters", Shinran)

Yes, I believe you're right on both counts. My internet was messing up the other day so I was going off of what I remembered. I just listened again and I do believe he said "theoretically possible"

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 15:28:04
@someone_else Said

Yes, I believe you're right on both counts. My internet was messing up the other day so I was going off of what I remembered. I just listened again and I do believe he said "theoretically possible"

Thanks. Anyway, now drman has kindly given me his phone number I should get something straight from the horses mouth (so to speak). I've tried a couple of times but keep getting someone called Jenny....
Not a dude.

Deleted

#15New Post! Jun 20, 2011 @ 15:32:02
@tariki Said

Thanks. Anyway, now drman has kindly given me his phone number I should get something straight from the horses mouth (so to speak). I've tried a couple of times but keep getting someone called Jenny....

867-5309? Oh haha, I missed his post.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs