Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 06:33:34
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/monique-ruffin/gay-civil-rights_b_1168897.html

An interesting personal viewpoint (of the writer) on the role of the church in the oppression of homosexuals.

Although the article is black specific, it also pertains to all churches that oppress gays.

The black church (according to the writer) is becoming that which is purports to despise and says it opposes.

sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:20:09
"When I was a practicing Christian, learning how to embody the loving spirit of Jesus -- who dared not judge but lived a life of love and compassion -- would have served me well. I believed then, and still hold dear, Jesus the Christ's command to love. Above all things, love."

Excellent article!

And if all people would strive to do the above (which is the true, and only Christian way); then all things would fall into place for the sake of good..
If all people would truly love; And would treat others how they themselves, wish to be treated.

How dare any one oppress another and not see it as wrong?!!
And yet... they do it.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:22:13
@Jennifer1984 Said

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/monique-ruffin/gay-civil-rights_b_1168897.html

An interesting personal viewpoint (of the writer) on the role of the church in the oppression of homosexuals.

Although the article is black specific, it also pertains to all churches that oppress gays.

The black church (according to the writer) is becoming that which is purports to despise and says it opposes.

If the church tried to oppress homosexuals how well did they succed? Marks out of 10? I'd give them, in 2012...ummmm...0/10. Epic fail.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:32:51
@sTreetAngeL Said

"When I was a practicing Christian, learning how to embody the loving spirit of Jesus -- who dared not judge but lived a life of love and compassion -- would have served me well. I believed then, and still hold dear, Jesus the Christ's command to love. Above all things, love."

Excellent article!

And if all people would strive to do the above (which is the true, and only Christian way); then all things would fall into place for the sake of good..
If all people would truly love; And would treat others how they themselves, wish to be treated.

How dare any one oppress another and not see it as wrong?!!
And yet... they do it.

Totally agree. It angers me to see people hide their own blatent homophobia with a thin veil of religion. Christians are supposed to treat people well- as you say, treat others as you wish to be treated yourself. By segregating a particular group of people for whatever reason is wrong but some people still beleive it is ok to do so becuase 'the bible tells them'.

Ok rant over! Before any of the particularly strongly religious people tell me I will burn in hell for having no faith or going against the bible, think twice. I was going to study theology to enter into the ministry so dont bother pulling that argument with me. I happen to believe its perfectly ok to have religion and not go against or have a problem with gay people specifically beucase of their sexuality
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#5New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:34:15
@Sparklegirl Said

Totally agree. It angers me to see people hide their own blatent homophobia with a thin veil of religion. Christians are supposed to treat people well- as you say, treat others as you wish to be treated yourself. By segregating a particular group of people for whatever reason is wrong but some people still beleive it is ok to do so becuase 'the bible tells them'.

Ok rant over! Before any of the particularly strongly religious people tell me I will burn in hell for having no faith or going against the bible, think twice. I was going to study theology to enter into the ministry so dont bother pulling that argument with me. I happen to believe its perfectly ok to have religion and not go against or have a problem with gay people specifically beucase of their sexuality

Erm...it does say in the bible that homosexuality is wrong. I'm not in agreement with that, as I am an agnostic and don't follow any religion but christianity is not in favour of homosexuality and considers it immoral. Sad fact but true.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:37:56
@MAW Said

Erm...it does say in the bible that homosexuality is wrong. I'm not in agreement with that, as I am an agnostic and don't follow any religion but christianity is not in favour of homosexuality and considers it immoral. Sad fact but true.

I never argued the fact it does say in the bible that it is a sin for a man to lie with another man. I said that it is wrong for Christians who preach good will to all to be so discriminatory- it is a double standard. As this is my own religion I am quite aware what it has to say on the matter, I just feel it is very wrong to say love thy neighbour- but add on the side only if everybody is straight
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#7New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:40:13
@Sparklegirl Said

I never argued the fact it does say in the bible that it is a sin for a man to lie with another man. I said that it is wrong for Christians who preach good will to all to be so discriminatory- it is a double standard. As this is my own religion I am quite aware what it has to say on the matter, I just feel it is very wrong to say love thy neighbour- but add on the side only if everybody is straight

But surely christians are saying that the sin is wrong not the sinner. They won't gays to stop being gay in the same way they want a murderer to stop murdering people. They may not hate the murderer and be willing to forgive him or her, they just are opposed to them continuing to murder.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#8New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:40:40
@Sparklegirl Said

Yeah, but the Bible does't tell them to do it. That's just it!
It may teach that a certian 'behavior' is wrong; but never does it tell us to stand in judgement! If fact, it says to do the opposite! To welcome all sinners into the house of God. For in fact, WE ourselves are all sinners. BORN in sin.

I think,..given that knowledge..no matter how pure any of us try to be, we shall all ALWAYS fall short..

If Jesus didn't come and die for our sins already; to save us. Then we would all be on our way to Hell already.

No matter what our sins. Jesus is the only judge; and the only one with any say of any kind.

..I just don't get these freaks who stand in judgement of others.
..I'd be too damned scared to.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:44:32
@MAW Said

But surely christians are saying that the sin is wrong not the sinner. They won't gays to stop being gay in the same way they want a murderer to stop murdering people. They may not hate the murderer and be willing to forgive him or her, they just are opposed to them continuing to murder.

Murderes hurt people, by being gay others are not hurt. Each person has the propensity to hurt others of course I believe that is true, but how can you compare a gay person to a killer
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:47:07
@sTreetAngeL Said

Yeah, but the Bible does't tell them to do it. That's just it!
It may teach that a certian 'behavior' is wrong; but never does it tell us to stand in judgement! If fact, it says to do the opposite! To welcome all sinners into the house of God. For in fact, WE ourselves are all sinners. BORN in sin.

I think,..given that knowledge..no matter how pure any of us try to be, we shall all ALWAYS fall short..

If Jesus didn't come and die for our sins already; to save us. Then we would all be on our way to Hell already.

No matter what our sins. Jesus is the only judge; and the only one with any say of any kind.

..I just don't get these freaks who stand in judgement of others.
..I'd be too damned scared to.

Everybody however small has sinned in some way, so let those without sin cast the first stone. Theoretically no stones should be cast at all as others dont have the right to judge on something like that. nobody is perfect so should not be so vocal of others
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#11New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:49:34
@Sparklegirl Said

Murderes hurt people, by being gay others are not hurt. Each person has the propensity to hurt others of course I believe that is true, but how can you compare a gay person to a killer

Sure, I never said gays hurt anyone but virtue of being gay, just that the church considers it a sin.
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 02, 2012 @ 18:56:14
@MAW Said

Sure, I never said gays hurt anyone but virtue of being gay, just that the church considers it a sin.

Yes that is true, it does. Maybe I was a little harsh with my reply, I didnt mean to be. My best friend is gay and I fell out with another so called friend who made some vile remarks about him and his sexuality. Both my religion and my best mate are important to me so I make the two work together, a lot of people are unable to recondcile the two
PTF On April 24, 2017

Banned

Indiana,
#13New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 23:15:49
" There are also those black Christians who oppose gay marriage because the Bible declares, in their interpretation of it, that homosexuality is a sin. "
I'm only quoting the article,however...

" [B]Gay is the new black[/B]. And some Christian blacks must be willing to look into their hearts and find the seeds of fear that would have them deny the humanity of another in the name of God (just the way it was done to them not that long ago). Let's ask ourselves: do we fear gays or fear being gay? "

This has to be shocking...to me it is.
If I was Black...well...lol.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 01:52:41
@PTF Said

" There are also those black Christians who oppose gay marriage because the Bible declares, in their interpretation of it, that homosexuality is a sin. "
I'm only quoting the article,however...

" [B]Gay is the new black[/B]. And some Christian blacks must be willing to look into their hearts and find the seeds of fear that would have them deny the humanity of another in the name of God (just the way it was done to them not that long ago). Let's ask ourselves: do we fear gays or fear being gay? "

This has to be shocking...to me it is.
If I was Black...well...lol.

So you fear being gay. Odd that.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 01:55:58
@chaski Said

So you fear being gay. Odd that.

So much so that it warrants bumping a thread no one has posted in for a little over three years apparently
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs