The Bible isn't mentioned in the Bible.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
grace On January 18, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 19:49:37
My understanding is that, more often than not, when the "word of God" is mentioned in the Bible it is referring specifically to the Old Testament, which was the only part of the Christian Bible actually in existence when those words were written. Obviously if you do not apply such culturally conditioned criteria to the Biblical words, and believe each word is infallible and "written" by God and therefore not time conditioned, you could argue that the Bible was in fact speaking of itself.

As far as the passage from Isaiah is concerned, this has been appropriated by both Christians and the Jewish people. For Christians it has often been taken as a prophecy of Jesus and His sufferings on the cross. Jewish scholars, taking their own Book in context and in its cultural setting, see it us forseeing the fate of the nation of Israel itself.

And again, as I have said elsewhere, the "Word" of God is understood by many Christians as being Christ, not the actual text of the Bible. The text, in this context, is believed to be "inspired" but not infallible, and certainly not to be taken literally in all circumstances.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#47New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 19:54:58
@jonnythan Said

Well that's the issue. None of the writers of the individual books ever made any reference to the possibility (or fact) that their words were simply the latest in a string of various texts that were the official Word of God. Not one.

This indicates to the rational person that they.. well, weren't. That the books were later collected and assembled by a largely corrupt politically-oriented and wealthy organization.

Which gets back to something I asked about before. It's fairly clear that they aren't all true, but how does that in fact prove that none of them are?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#48New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:14:41
@AmberB Said

Which gets back to something I asked about before. It's fairly clear that they aren't all true, but how does that in fact prove that none of them are?

It doesn't need to. The entire premise of the Bible is that it is the True Word of God. If any of the information or claims are ever demonstratively false, that invalidates the premise of the whole thing.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#49New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:30:26
@jonnythan Said

It doesn't need to. The entire premise of the Bible is that it is the True Word of God. If any of the information or claims are ever demonstratively false, that invalidates the premise of the whole thing.

So you're also of the mind that one story being false proves all the associated stories to be false. I can see how it invalidates the bible as a whole, but to use that as proof that all the specific stories of the bible is false is a weak and illogical position.

Then again, there is no logical proof of the truth of those stories, so it may seem odd to require logical proof against it, but it's generally those against it who speak of logic and rationality.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#50New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:43:15
f*** the Bible. And f*** the Atheists.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#51New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:49:47
@AmberB Said

So you're also of the mind that one story being false proves all the associated stories to be false.

No, and I didn't say that.

I'm of the mind that if a book is held to be The Word of God, and the COMPLETE Word of God, and a portion of it is found to be completely fictional or erroneous, it undermines the entire basis of the entire book. It doesn't necessarily mean that everything in it is wrong, but it does mean that the basic premise of the document - that it is the indisputable Word of God - is wrong.

@AmberB Said
I can see how it invalidates the bible as a whole, but to use that as proof that all the specific stories of the bible is false is a weak and illogical position.

Yes, you get the idea. No one seems to be making the argument that everything in the Bible is wrong. I agree that would be quite a weak position.
grace On January 18, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:50:55
@Tako_400 Said

f*** the Bible. And f*** the Atheists.

tako,

would you have a good word for the agnostics?

or is it "f***" again?

Bless you my child!

8)
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#53New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:52:15
@jonnythan Said

Yes, you get the idea. No one seems to be making the argument that everything in the Bible is wrong. I agree that would be quite a weak position.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#54New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 20:53:56
@grace Said

tako,

would you have a good word for the agnostics?

or is it "f***" again?

Bless you my child!

8)

Nah. I would rather praise them. They realize how there's no point to any of this.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#55New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 21:18:50
Fact remains, there are many scriptures/stories which could have been put in the "Bible", but the early church decided not to include them I am told by a priest friend that some of these include texts allegedly written by actual disciples and Mary Magdalen - now you would have thought these would be prime examples which SHOULD have been included, surely more likely to be accurate than some of the much later ones which made it.

Makes you wonder just what they were scared of people getting to find out.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 23:00:01
@sheepy Said

Fact remains, there are many scriptures/stories which could have been put in the "Bible", but the early church decided not to include them I am told by a priest friend that some of these include texts allegedly written by actual disciples and Mary Magdalen - now you would have thought these would be prime examples which SHOULD have been included, surely more likely to be accurate than some of the much later ones which made it.

Makes you wonder just what they were scared of people getting to find out.

It's not necessarily that they were hiding anything, they just wanted to endorse those texts which sat comfortably with the notion of an organised, authoritative Church, and with the rest of the scripture. Even then, the books were copied and edited endlessly for hundreds of years.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013