Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:26:52
@aquine Said

Your conclusion in the OP was that the everything in the Bible is wrong.

I am simply highlighting the falseness of this allegation.

Why isn't the Bible mentioned in the Bible? It is. There are many, many occasions when the phrase 'word of God', or, 'word of the Lord' is mentioned. That is what the Bible is - the word of God.

2 Samuel 22:31
"As for God, his way is perfect; the LORD's word is flawless. He shields all who take refuge in him.

See what I mean.

You have made a false allegation against the Lord. You would do well to retract it and repent.

God bless you.

Thank you.

So references to the "Word of God" in the Bible are referring to the collection of books which would eventually be canonised and made into the Holy Bible? I don't think it's ever used in such a specific sense. It certainly isn't in the passage you quoted.

The "Word" is usually intepreted as the divine law, the general message of God or sometimes the Christ.

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the word was God". This presumably means divine law, or the Son. It doesn't mean the Bible.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#17New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:29:23
@jonnythan Said

You might want to work on your reading comprehension. He never said anything remotely similar to that.

BUFFALOBILL SAID: The Bible is a collection of arbitrarily chosen books which were politically convenient for the early Church to endorse, they were not canonised because they are the 'right' ones and the others are 'wrong'. They are all wrong.

God bless you.
aquine On May 30, 2014

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#18New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:32:20
@buffalobill90 Said

Thank you.

So references to the "Word of God" in the Bible are referring to the collection of books which would eventually be canonised and made into the Holy Bible? I don't think it's ever used in such a specific sense. It certainly isn't in the passage you quoted.

The "Word" is usually intepreted as the divine law, the general message of God or sometimes the Christ.

John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the word was God". This presumably means divine law, or the Son. It doesn't mean the Bible.

I thought that would have been obvious.

When you read 'word of God' do you expect that it would produce a picture book? The word of God is the Word of God is the word of God.

You're going to be a very intense Christian when you are finally turned.

God bless you.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:34:03
@aquine Said

BUFFALOBILL SAID: The Bible is a collection of arbitrarily chosen books which were politically convenient for the early Church to endorse, they were not canonised because they are the 'right' ones and the others are 'wrong'. They are all wrong.

God bless you.

And when BUFFALOBILL SAID "They are all wrong" did he mean "The books of the Bible are wrong about everything" or did he mean "The books of the Bible are all wrong about something"?

It wasn't my conclusion anyway. My conclusion was that the books are not divinely inspired. If you dispute that conclusion, refute my premises or show that they don't entail the conclusion. That's how a debate works.
mrmexico25 On November 19, 2019

Dallas, Texas
#20New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:35:10
Quote:
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes [c] his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,
he will see the light of life [d] and be satisfied [e] ;
by his knowledge [f] my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, [g]
and he will divide the spoils with the strong, [h]
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

You didn't even say this to me and it seems threatening. Lighten up mr. Jesus.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#21New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:37:35
Whats interesting here is that this topic still even needs to be debated.

We are a smart bunch ey...
aquine On May 30, 2014

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#22New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:38:23
@mrmexico25 Said

You didn't even say this to me and it seems threatening. Lighten up mr. Jesus.

There is only one thing to which the Word of God can seem threatening.

Demons.

'There is no where to go, no where to go, no where to go, but inside'-
HR.

God bless you.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:40:29
@aquine Said

I thought that would have been obvious.

When you read 'word of God' do you expect that it would produce a picture book? The word of God is the Word of God is the word of God.

You're going to be a very intense Christian when you are finally turned.

God bless you.

I don't see how this answers my point. Can you quote any passages which seem to refer specifically to the collection of canonised texts called the Holy Bible, the collection which the church considered to be divinely inspired, to the exclusion of all other texts? You're normally so good at quoting Bible passages, aquine, don't let your talent fail you now.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#24New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 04:43:19
Which Bible? I haven't read them all yet.
aquine On May 30, 2014

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#25New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 05:49:23
@buffalobill90 Said

I don't see how this answers my point. Can you quote any passages which seem to refer specifically to the collection of canonised texts called the Holy Bible, the collection which the church considered to be divinely inspired, to the exclusion of all other texts? You're normally so good at quoting Bible passages, aquine, don't let your talent fail you now.

Do you realise that the Old Testament existed well before Christ came into the world? So that is more than half of the Holy Bible.

As for the New Testament, the following was adhered to, in order to ensure that it is all Truth.

Leviticus 19:12
" 'Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the LORD.

This had to be followed, as many things are divinely inspired, yet much of them are false and demonic. These things were not included in the New Testament for obvious reasons.

Also, the following 92 verses talk about the Gospel, which for all believers is the vital part of the New Testament.

Matthew 24:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 26:13 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Mark 8:35 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For whoever wants to save their life [ The Greek word means either life or soul; also in verses 36 and 37.] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Mark 10:29 TNIV ? Read this chapter
"Truly I tell you," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel

Mark 13:10 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.

Mark 14:9 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Mark 16:15 TNIV ? Read this chapter
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

John 20:30 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ The Purpose of John's Gospel ] Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.

Acts 8:25 TNIV ? Read this chapter
After they had further proclaimed the word of the Lord and testified about Jesus, Peter and John returned to Jerusalem, preaching the gospel in many Samaritan villages.

Acts 8:40 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.

Acts 14:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
where they continued to preach the gospel.

Acts 14:21 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ The Return to Antioch in Syria ] They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch,

Acts 15:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.

Acts 16:10 TNIV ? Read this chapter
After Paul had seen the vision, we got ready at once to leave for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them.

Romans 1:1 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God?

Romans 1:2 TNIV ? Read this chapter
the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures

Romans 1:9 TNIV ? Read this chapter
God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you

Romans 1:15 TNIV ? Read this chapter
That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.

Romans 1:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Romans 1:17 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed?a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, [ Or is from faith to faith] just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith." [ Hab. 2:4]

Romans 2:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
This will take place on the day when God judges everyone's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Romans 11:28 TNIV ? Read this chapter
As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,

Romans 15:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. He gave me the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:19 TNIV ? Read this chapter
by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:20 TNIV ? Read this chapter
It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation.

Romans 16:25 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past,

1 Corinthians 1:17 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel?not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

1 Corinthians 4:15 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Even if you had ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:12 TNIV ? Read this chapter
If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:18 TNIV ? Read this chapter
What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not misuse my rights as a preacher of the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:23 TNIV ? Read this chapter
I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

1 Corinthians 15:1 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ The Resurrection of Christ ] Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.

1 Corinthians 15:2 TNIV ? Read this chapter
By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

2 Corinthians 2:12 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Ministers of the New Covenant ] Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me,

2 Corinthians 4:3 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.

2 Corinthians 4:4 TNIV ? Read this chapter
The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

2 Corinthians 8:18 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And we are sending along with him the brother who is praised by all the churches for his service to the gospel.

2 Corinthians 9:13 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, people will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.

2 Corinthians 10:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
We are not going too far in our boasting, as would be the case if we had not come to you, for we did get as far as you with the gospel of Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
so that we can preach the gospel in the regions beyond you. For we do not want to boast about work already done in someone else's territory.

2 Corinthians 11:4 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

2 Corinthians 11:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God to you free of charge?

Galatians 1:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ No Other Gospel ] I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel?

Galatians 1:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.

Galatians 1:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let that person be under God's curse!

Galatians 1:9 TNIV ? Read this chapter
As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let that person be under God's curse!

Galatians 1:11 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Paul Called by God ] I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin.

Galatians 2:2 TNIV ? Read this chapter
I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.

Galatians 2:5 TNIV ? Read this chapter
We did not give in to them for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might remain with you.

Galatians 2:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the gospel to the Gentiles, [ Greek uncircumcised] just as Peter had been to the Jews. [ Greek circumcised; also in verses 8 and 9]

Galatians 2:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

Galatians 3:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." [ Gen. 12:3; 18:18; 22:18]

Galatians 4:13 TNIV ? Read this chapter
As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you.

Ephesians 1:13 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Ephesians 3:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 3:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God's grace given me through the working of his power.

Ephesians 6:15 TNIV ? Read this chapter
and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 6:19 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,

Philippians 1:5 TNIV ? Read this chapter
because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now,

Philippians 1:7 TNIV ? Read this chapter
It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me.

Philippians 1:12 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Paul's Chains Advance the Gospel ] Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel.

Philippians 1:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.

Philippians 1:16 TNIV ? Read this chapter
The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.

Philippians 1:27 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Life Worthy of the Gospel ] Whatever happens, as citizens of heaven live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, [ Or in one spirit] striving together with one accord for the faith of the gospel

Philippians 2:22 TNIV ? Read this chapter
But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.

Philippians 4:3 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Philippians 4:15 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only;

Colossians 1:5 TNIV ? Read this chapter
the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true word of the gospel

Colossians 1:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world? just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God's grace.

Colossians 1:23 TNIV ? Read this chapter
if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

1 Thessalonians 1:5 TNIV ? Read this chapter
because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.

1 Thessalonians 2:2 TNIV ? Read this chapter
We had previously suffered and been treated outrageously in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in the face of strong opposition.

1 Thessalonians 2:4 TNIV ? Read this chapter
On the contrary, we speak as those approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. We are not trying to please people but God, who tests our hearts.

1 Thessalonians 2:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
so we cared for you. Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well.

1 Thessalonians 2:9 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Surely you remember, brothers and sisters, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you.

1 Thessalonians 3:2 TNIV ? Read this chapter
We sent Timothy, who is our brother and co-worker in God's service in spreading the gospel of Christ, to strengthen and encourage you in your faith,

2 Thessalonians 1:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

2 Thessalonians 2:14 TNIV ? Read this chapter
He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Timothy 1:11 TNIV ? Read this chapter
that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

2 Timothy 1:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Appeal for Loyalty to Paul and the Gospel ] For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

2 Timothy 1:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God,

2 Timothy 1:10 TNIV ? Read this chapter
but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

2 Timothy 1:11 TNIV ? Read this chapter
And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.

2 Timothy 2:8 TNIV ? Read this chapter
Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel,

Titus 2:1 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ Doing Good for the Sake of the Gospel ] You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine.

Philemon 1:13 TNIV ? Read this chapter
I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.

1 Peter 1:12 TNIV ? Read this chapter
It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

1 Peter 4:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

1 Peter 4:17 TNIV ? Read this chapter
For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Revelation 14:6 TNIV ? Read this chapter
[ The Three Angels ] Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth?to every nation, tribe, language and people.

God bless you.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#26New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 11:44:03
2 Tim 3 :26 All scripture )the whole Bible) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Verse 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#27New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 14:04:28
Looks like aquine posted every verse that contained the word "gospel"
PhoenixNebula On February 25, 2010
TFS' village idiot.

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 14:14:40
#25, I don't even want to quote it.. it's a piss take. Posts should have a limit, surely!
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#29New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 14:16:35
@HiImDan Said

2 Tim 3 :26 All scripture )the whole Bible) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That just proves Will's point even more. The fact that the doctrines can be corrected, reproof etc. If the bible is the teaching of the holy Lord which it claims,(i.e perfection), coming from the Lord directly, there is no need to correct or reproof.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#30New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 14:47:25
@buffalobill90 Said

Why not? Surely since it's authors had such prophetic predictive powers, and received such divine revelations about the coming of the messianic warrior-king who would save the Jews, and about the future of humanity and all that, they would have known that their book was going to be included in the canonic collection that would later be called the Holy Bible.

And yet, in all the books of the Bible, there is no mention of them being part of the Bible. The books which have been canonised by the Church are considered to be the truly divinely inspired ones, and the apocrypha are not. Yet none of them, apocryphal or canonised, mention the Bible or their eventual assimilation into it or disinclusion from it.

I think this is quite a good reason to believe that the books are not divinely inspired. The Bible is a collection of arbitrarily chosen books which were politically convenient for the early Church to endorse, they were not canonised because they are the 'right' ones and the others are 'wrong'. They are all wrong.

While this is an interesting and original thought, I fail to see how it is proof of anything. After all, why would the authors of the books of the bible care that their works were to be grouped together later on? That they don't mention the bible in their own specific books says nothing to me more than that they were focused more on the message they themselves were trying to spread than on what would become of that message in the future generations.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs