Forums: Entertainment:
Television

The Americans

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2018 @ 22:27:45
I don't watch much television. Since my grandmother died last November, I have lived with my grandfather. He's not much interested in television either, so we have no cable. We have a television, but no antenna.

The internet provides the only source of information for the television.

My boyfriend and my grandfather have bonded. For the past couple of months they have watched all of an FX television show, The Americans. As a captive audience, I have watched it, too.

My grandfather says it reminds him of a 1950's or maybe you could say, McCarthy era television show, I Led Three Lives, based on the autobiography by the same title in which the author tells how he became a Soviet spy and eventually an FBI informant.

The show, The Americans, tells about two Soviet spies, who pose as Americans, hence the title. The plot circles around news stories from the 1980's. Some of the plot situations include stealing plans for stealth aircraft, quiet submarine propellers, and biological-warfare germs. The final episodes deal with a KGB attempt to disrupt Glasnost.

I think we could call the basic plot idea, KGB Meets Mission impossible.

At least I would say that if I did not know that two Soviet spies at Los Alamos told Stalin all about the atomic bomb.

Also, twice when I studied European history in school, the teachers talked about how in the nineteenth century France and Germany each had trained spies, who had immigrated to the other country and who had trained their children to spy for their country of origin. The Americans deals with that possibility and the consequences of the attempt.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 24, 2018 @ 00:26:42
the americans had the best series finale of this year.

the americans almost like what the germans want to have sleepers in the usa, start a new third reich. Russians were much clever. they had cells all over the America, posing as American couples and families.

the Russians was very organized in the tv show, that even those cell groups were working as a team, not enough to know all the players in it. each cell group were report to handler. their handler report to supervisors, idea if someone was caught that would sole be at fault. eliminate with failure is no contest. death is the winner.

this American family had it own business, traveling agency. the parents are the Russian spies, which are force to kill anyone, they are assign to kill. they can't said no to their supervisors ever, their supervisors will kill them,as well , their daughter and son.

the parents had problems keeping their secret as Russian spies, for example, their daughter figure out they were spies, the parents was force to recruit her to be the next generation spy that they didn't want. the son had no idea, they are spies, and all agreed, not to tell him ever. other problem, that their neighbor is an experience fbi agent that they befriend him, and very close friend to them.

by watching this show, you see how brilliant Russia was in 70's. so, not surprise how Russia control our government, it has these days. could image the kind bozo for a president would have in 70's, if Russia took our government in 70's? sad part, Russia do us a favor shoot the bozo for president now!

the americans is an excellent tv show, the reality how the Russia probably or could done take secrets out of America. it is really shocking, because the fbi and cia does the same thing. who is better?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Aug 24, 2018 @ 01:16:49
Side bar:
When you say Internet source for Television, what do you mean - do you use Roku? or something similar - smart TV? ... (not sure of all the details on those yet)

Depending on your area, a digital/hd antenna could bring you a lot of content.
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#4New Post! Aug 25, 2018 @ 23:23:50
@mrmhead Said

Side bar:
When you say Internet source for Television, what do you mean - do you use Roku? or something similar - smart TV? ... (not sure of all the details on those yet)

Depending on your area, a digital/hd antenna could bring you a lot of content.

Sorry that I took so long to answer this. So how I missed it.

We have a wireless internet connection, and I believe Gramps pays for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Like you said, we could get an antenna and watch local television, but Gramps hates television. My grandmother watched a lot of television, The Kardashians, Real Housewives, that sort of thing. I know he loved her. He took care of her the last year of her life, but he does not miss having to listen to the television.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs