Texas executes Mexican national after court stay rejected

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#46New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 20:11:52
@white_swan53 Said

I only statement I made is that I agree with Texas .What you are trying to be all wa wa about is what I said I IMO about.
I'll say the same to you as I said to the other poster, just because we don't agree on this topic does not make either of us more or wrong.

IMO is not some magic word that suddenly insulates your comment from being called out as stupid. It was a stupid comment. Of course there were alternatives.

Like I said, you are entitled to your own opinions. You are entitled to agree with the state of Texas, but you are not entitled to your own facts. I don't care if you call it an opinion as some sort of half assed cover. There were alternatives. It is just silly to pretend there weren't.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#47New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 21:51:15
@hoppy Said

No, I didn't become a bully. Didn't have to. Because of my size and new found ability to fight, other students walked wide of me. Once, I got in a fight with a farm boy who was a bit taller and faster than I was. I threw the first punch, hoping it would be enough. He beat the s*** out of me.

That only happened once. My first- & to be honest- did not see it coming. Was playing sandlot football and we had kids from 10 years old on up, but one guy I'd never seen before was 17, I was 14. He was getting angrier by the minute as he could not get around me and started diving at me in a blind rage. I just deflected him and played. I guess he got tired of me dumping him on his a** cause after I caught up with one of the 11 year olds and pulled him down- we sat there laughing & this immature MoFo came up behind me and smashed his fist over my head into my face- by the time I collected my thoughts he had stradled me pinning my arms to my sides. I eventually worked free and got away after a few beatings. My brother then 15 was 2 blocks away at home but that big chicken left before we got back.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#48New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 01:01:23
@white_swan53 Said

I never claimed anything.
I said IMO

I know you said IMO. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it wasn't a claim.

How about you respond to the meat of the question? Here it is again in case you missed it:

@jonnythan Said
does it bother you that the US just violated a treaty with Mexico in order to execute a man?

Now here's the real question. How would you react if Mexico violated a treaty with the US to execute a man accused of, say, political dissent?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#49New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 01:02:08
Here is an interesting thread on the topic of using phrases like IMO to insulate yourself from criticism:

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Just-my-opinion-/438810
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#50New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 01:23:02
@someone_else Said

Okay, maybe you know more about this than I do, but if he was an American citizen (and therefore not an illegal alien) and had been since he was two years old, why would he have been eligible for assistance from the Mexican consulate?

That's where my confusion stems from. Did he have dual citizenship? And if so, doesn't that mean that he is indeed a citizen of the US and therefore subject to our laws (and also execution)?

You are aware aren't you that there is such a thing as a LEGAL immigrant that is NOT a citizen. In fact, it takes many years most of the time of living in our country LEGALLY, before you can gain citizenship. I don't know more about it than you. The article doesn't say if he was legal or illegal. I just noted the automatic assumption that Mexican means illegal. That is a fallacy.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#51New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 01:41:28
Quote:
The Term in the US

According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security a foreign national is defined simply as "an individual who is a citizen of any country other than the United States."[3] The Brookhaven National Laboratory, under direction from the U.S. Department of Energy, further explains that, from the perspective of the United States, a foreign national is, "A person who was born outside the jurisdiction of the United States, is a citizen of a foreign country, and has not become a naturalized U.S. citizen under U.S. law. This includes Legal Permanent Residents (also known as Permanent Resident Aliens)."[4] This definition presumably also applies to anyone who has successfully renounced his or her U.S. citizenship.

The term "foreign national" came into usage when the previously used term "foreigner" developed negative connotations. They are synonyms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_national

All that aside, I still think that he should have been informed of his right and then granted that right to counsel from his own country, not because I think he deserves it, but because if we don't grant that then others may not grant the same to our citizens.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#52New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 02:21:36
Consular Notification Compliance Act

Quote:

June 14, 2011

WASHINGTON (Tuesday, June 14, 2011) – Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) introduced legislation Tuesday to address a long-standing international concern regarding U.S. compliance with the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (VCCR), a key treaty providing access for citizens detained abroad to their consulates.

Government efforts to address this problem began during the George W. Bush administration, when President Bush issued an executive memorandum directing the state courts to provide review of the convictions and death sentences. The executive order was challenged in the U.S. Supreme Court, and the Court held that the Executive Branch did not have the authority to compel the state courts to act. The Court held that Congress must pass legislation instead.

The VCCR was negotiated during the Kennedy administration, and ratified during the Nixon administration.

What I don't understand is, why wasn't compliance with the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (VCCR) all dealt with back during the Kennedy and Nixon administrations ?

n/a, New Mexico
#53New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 02:35:41
In Texas, a Death Penalty Showdown With International Law
Quote:
In 2008, the Supreme Court ruled that states were not obligated to comply with the Vienna Convention, and that only Congress -- not the president -- could force them to obey the treaty
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#54New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 02:43:11
Well, it's a good thing that I wasn't on the jury, or he'd be serving life in prison instead. I don't believe in the death penalty, and I would go so far as to find him not guilty if death was the only option for a guilty verdict.

And I'm not even christian.

n/a, New Mexico
#55New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:12:28
This explains why the defendant wasn't informed of his rights as a Mexican national at the time of his arrest or during his trail.

Quote:
First, let us be clear about applicant's claim. Born in Mexico, applicant was brought to the United States when he was three years old and, at the time he was arrested, had lived in this country for fifteen of his eighteen years. He spoke fluent English, but he never obtained, nor apparently ever sought, U.S. citizenship. So, at the time of his arrest and trial, he was legally a Mexican citizen. His claim is that no one informed him of his right to contact the Mexican consulate. This is true. It is also true that he was never denied access to the Mexican consulate. The problem is that he apparently never told any law enforcement or judicial official that he was a Mexican citizen until some four years after his conviction. Applicant never informed the arresting officers that he was a Mexican citizen. (1) He makes no claim that he informed any magistrate that he was a Mexican citizen. He points to no evidence that he informed the trial judge before or during his trial that he was a Mexican citizen. (2) We do not know what the arresting officers, the magistrate, or the trial judge would have done had any of them been informed that applicant was a citizen of Mexico. Perhaps they would have informed him of his right to contact his consulate for assistance. While Texas authorities clearly failed in their duty to inform this foreign national of his rights under the Vienna Convention, this foreign national equally failed in his duty to inform those authorities that he was a Mexican citizen. Although one would like to think that all Texas public officials are clairvoyant about the nationality of all who appear before them, they are not required to be, nor, when there is no reason to believe that a defendant is anything but a U.S. citizen, should they be.

As this Court explained at considerable length in applicant's last application for a writ of habeas corpus, Texas law does not permit a defendant to raise a claim four years after his trial that he was not notified before or during his trial of his rights under the Vienna Convention, the U.S. Constitution, the Texas Constitution, or any other law. This claim was procedurally defaulted by the failure to raise it in a timely manner.

https://www.bakers-legal-pages.com/cca/opinions/cca17174.htm
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#56New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:13:18
First, people are asking why it was only brought up now, the fact he was not given the right to meet with his consulate. The reason is probably because there are appellate lawyers who go through the case and try to find any legal ground whatsoever to try and stop the execution.

Second, a person can live in one country legally and not be a citizen. Many Canadian hockey players live in American most of the year as they play for an American team but keep their Canadian citizenship. They are there legally.

Third, I think because he's Mexican, people think its okay to deny someone their legal rights. What if an American went to Mexico, accused of a crime and no one let him meet with his consulate and then he was put to death. There would be a s*** storm like you would not believe.

He had a legal right and it was denied. Its like arresting me and not giving me my miranda, good luck getting my confession into a court of law then.

I also heard it violated treaty rights. If this is the case, I think it set an example, and not a good one, and now it could happen to an American in Mexico.

n/a, New Mexico
#57New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:19:25
@DorkySupergirl Said

First, people are asking why it was only brought up now, the fact he was not given the right to meet with his consulate. The reason is probably because there are appellate lawyers who go through the case and try to find any legal ground whatsoever to try and stop the execution.

Second, a person can live in one country legally and not be a citizen. Many Canadian hockey players live in American most of the year as they play for an American team but keep their Canadian citizenship. They are there legally.

Third, I think because he's Mexican, people think its okay to deny someone their legal rights. What if an American went to Mexico, accused of a crime and no one let him meet with his consulate and then he was put to death. There would be a s*** storm like you would not believe.

He had a legal right and it was denied. Its like arresting me and not giving me my miranda, good luck getting my confession into a court of law then.

I also heard it violated treaty rights. If this is the case, I think it set an example, and not a good one, and now it could happen to an American in Mexico.

He , the defendant, didn't inform anyone that he was a Mexican citizen until some 4 years after his conviction.

, Canada
#58New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:32:57
@white_swan53 Said

He , the defendant, didn't inform anyone that he was a Mexican citizen until some 4 years after his conviction.

Okay but it is still the job of the lawyer to go through the case files and transcripts and evidence with a fine tooth comb and find anything at all, even grasping at straws, to stay the execution. So even if they knew all along, it could have gone unnoticed that he was denied his right to consulate.

It does not matter how feel about him or what he is accused of or found guilty of, we can't deny legal rights.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#59New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:36:53
That can't be right. You can't go through an entire death penalty case with no one realizing the defendant isn't a citizen.

, Canada
#60New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 03:40:00
@jonnythan Said

That can't be right. You can't go through an entire death penalty case with no one realizing the defendant isn't a citizen.

I watched this on CNN and read a bit online about it. I never saw where it said he was illegal and where it said no one knew he was Mexican.

Now it seems to me, I am not American though, someone would look into that, to see if he was legal or not. I know when immigrants are arrested here, we end up knowing if they are here legally or not, where they came from and how long they have lived here. It usually comes up when determining bail.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs