AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#31New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:09:02
This is the only part that gives me pause:

"The execution of Mr. Leal violates the United States’ treaty commitments, threatens the nation’s foreign policy interests, and undermines the safety of all Americans abroad."

Does it actually violate an international treaty for a state to execute a foreign national? If so, then this execution absolutely should not have happened.
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#32New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 14:10:58
They probably should have just given him life in prison. It would have been cheaper than the death penalty and would not have violated any international laws while still removing a violent criminal from our society.

I'm thinking when it came time to sentencing someone had a hard on for making sure this guy was punished and that is why he got the death penalty. A pity that there are always some in our justice system who are there for the wrong reasons and make decisions that only cause problems.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#33New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 15:04:10
@someone_else Said

For whatever it's worth, there is nothing gentle or peaceful about lethal injection. It is a horrible death.

That being said, what would the alternative been? Extradition to Mexico where the guy hadn't lived since he was a toddler? Or life in American prison where he had already been an illegal alien for most of his life?

That's a sticky situation.

IMO, there wasn't an alternative .

, Florida
#34New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 15:07:44
@white_swan53 Said

Giving him life in prison wasn't an alternative? Come on, think a little.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#35New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 15:08:36
@white_swan53 Said

This is a nonsensical statement. Life imprisonment is an alternative to death in all cases where life imprisonment is viable.

n/a, New Mexico
#36New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 16:42:21
@jonnythan Said

This is the only part that gives me pause:

"The execution of Mr. Leal violates the United States’ treaty commitments, threatens the nation’s foreign policy interests, and undermines the safety of all Americans abroad."

Does it actually violate an international treaty for a state to execute a foreign national? If so, then this execution absolutely should not have happened.

I haven't found anything that says the UN has any say in how a state runs it's state government or makes it's state laws. This guy is not the first illegal Mexican national to be convicted an executed by Texas .

@drman321 Said

They probably should have just given him life in prison. It would have been cheaper than the death penalty and would not have violated any international laws while still removing a violent criminal from our society.

I'm thinking when it came time to sentencing someone had a hard on for making sure this guy was punished and that is why he got the death penalty. A pity that there are always some in our justice system who are there for the wrong reasons and make decisions that only cause problems.

Texas is one of the few states that still have the death penalty .
No one had a 'hard on' for making sure this particular guy punished
any more then any one else found guilty of the type of crime this guy was convicted for.

@drman321 Said

Giving him life in prison wasn't an alternative? Come on, think a little.

Okay, I thought about and IMO there was no alternative.

@jonnythan Said

This is a nonsensical statement. Life imprisonment is an alternative to death in all cases where life imprisonment is viable.

Just because you and I disagree on this topic does not make either of us more right or wrong then the other.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#37New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 16:47:40
@white_swan53 Said

I haven't found anything that says the UN has any say in how a state runs it's state government or makes it's state laws. This guy is not the first illegal Mexican national to be convicted an executed by Texas .

Did you quote the wrong person? I was talking about US treaties, not the UN.

@white_swan53 Said
Just because you and I disagree on this topic does not make either of us more right or wrong then the other.

I didn't say you were wrong (though you were). I said your statement was nonsensical.

To claim that there is "no alternative" to the death penalty is not a matter of opinion. It's simply an incorrect, meaningless, nonsensical statement.

, Florida
#38New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 17:15:25
@white_swan53 Said

Okay, I thought about and IMO there was no alternative.

You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts, there was an alternative and you are just being obtuse pretending there wasn't.

Let me ask you, since you claim the only alternative was the state killing this man, are you better off now that he is dead?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#39New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 17:23:39
Let's assume for one minute that executing this man was indeed a violation of a treaty the US has with Mexico.

Since you claim there was "no alternative," does it bother you that the US just violated a treaty with Mexico in order to execute a man?

Now here's the real question. How would you react if Mexico violated a treaty with the US to execute a man accused of, say, political dissent?
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#40New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 18:20:28
1. Mexican citizen does NOT equate to illegal immigrant. Just because they came here when he was two and he was still a Mexican citizen does not mean he was illegal. I would need more evidence to jump on that bandwagon.

2. The execution was not the thing that supposedly broke the treaty. It was the fact that he was denied assistance from his government and was not informed at arrest that he had that right.

Now don't get me wrong. I agree his lawyer should have taken care of making sure he knew that, but denying him after he asked is what is really in question, and we would not want US citizens denied access to our government in the incident that he/she was imprisoned in a country without the same rights that the US affords.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#41New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 19:35:34
@alk1975 Said

1. Mexican citizen does NOT equate to illegal immigrant. Just because they came here when he was two and he was still a Mexican citizen does not mean he was illegal. I would need more evidence to jump on that bandwagon.

2. The execution was not the thing that supposedly broke the treaty. It was the fact that he was denied assistance from his government and was not informed at arrest that he had that right.

Okay, maybe you know more about this than I do, but if he was an American citizen (and therefore not an illegal alien) and had been since he was two years old, why would he have been eligible for assistance from the Mexican consulate?

That's where my confusion stems from. Did he have dual citizenship? And if so, doesn't that mean that he is indeed a citizen of the US and therefore subject to our laws (and also execution)?

n/a, New Mexico
#42New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 20:01:14
@drman321 Said

You are entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts, there was an alternative and you are just being obtuse pretending there wasn't.

Let me ask you, since you claim the only alternative was the state killing this man, are you better off now that he is dead?

No, I am not being obtuse, I am agreeing with the state of Texas .

, Florida
#43New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 20:02:43
@white_swan53 Said

No, I am not being obtuse, I am agreeing with the state of Texas .

No you aren't. By stating that there was no alternative you are pretending that one did not exist in order to justify a decision that in retrospect was kind of petty and foolish.

n/a, New Mexico
#44New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 20:02:45
@jonnythan Said

Let's assume for one minute that executing this man was indeed a violation of a treaty the US has with Mexico.

Since you claim there was "no alternative," does it bother you that the US just violated a treaty with Mexico in order to execute a man?

Now here's the real question. How would you react if Mexico violated a treaty with the US to execute a man accused of, say, political dissent?

I never claimed anything.
I said IMO

n/a, New Mexico
#45New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 20:08:44
@drman321 Said

No you aren't. By stating that there was no alternative you are pretending that one did not exist in order to justify a decision that in retrospect was kind of petty and foolish.

I only statement I made is that I agree with Texas .What you are trying to be all wa wa about is what I said I IMO about.
I'll say the same to you as I said to the other poster, just because we don't agree on this topic does not make either of us more or wrong.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs