Pages: 1 2 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2016 @ 22:08:01
Texas Mom Wakes Up From Jaw Surgery With a British Accent
KELLY MCCARTHY

Texas Woman Wakes From Surgery With British Accent

A Texas woman went into jaw surgery to correct an overbite, and while she got her new smile, she got something she did not plan for: a British accent.

Lisa Alamia was diagnosed with foreign accent syndrome, an extremely rare speech disorder that alters a person's speech so that he or she seems to speak with a foreign accent.

When Alamia underwent lower-jaw surgery in December 2015 and returned home with a British accent, her three children thought she was kidding.
This is bloody crazy!
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#2New Post! Jun 23, 2016 @ 22:36:18
I've heard of that before. I feel for her but for some reason all that is going through my head is "pip pip cheerio!" and the tophat smiley.

twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Jun 23, 2016 @ 22:53:00
it is hard think funny and little crude the mother that have explain that she has heavy british accent to people.

could be worst, she have urge to drive on the wrong side of road.

we lucky on the forum , we don't have listen to their heavy british accent breathy in their microphones to type. we are glad not to see them and watch steam up their screensavers.

I would talk about their English grammar on the forum.

now, I have admit now, that I am teaching grammar to them use on the forum.

how are they are doing, I am so proud of them.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#4New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 12:44:54
I have never understood why some people refer to a "British" accent. What does that even mean? Britain is made up of England, Cymru and Alba/Scotland. Now of course the accents of people in these 'countries' vary significantly from one another. So saying someone has a "British accent" is incredibly broad and really not very helpful. After all, someone from Glasgow's east end sounds absolutely nothing at all like someone from London's east end. Infact they would struggle to understand one another, and yet they are both "British" accents. Hell even accents within England, Cymru and Alba vary dramatically, and not just between counties and towns, but often within the same town!

Still, having said that I would have thought it is at least a wee bit more helpful to talk of English, Scottish and Welsh accents rather than "British" accents.
NNewt84 On July 19, 2018

Adelaide, Australia
#5New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 13:04:06
@shadowen Said

I have never understood why some people refer to a "British" accent. What does that even mean? Britain is made up of England, Cymru and Alba/Scotland. Now of course the accents of people in these 'countries' vary significantly from one another. So saying someone has a "British accent" is incredibly broad and really not very helpful. After all, someone from Glasgow's east end sounds absolutely nothing at all like someone from London's east end. Infact they would struggle to understand one another, and yet they are both "British" accents. Hell even accents within England, Cymru and Alba vary dramatically, and not just between counties and towns, but often within the same town!

Still, having said that I would have thought it is at least a wee bit more helpful to talk of English, Scottish and Welsh accents rather than "British" accents.

I think when people say "British" accent, they're referring to a larger, super-category of accents, similar to when people say "American" accent when that could mean literally any accent from the United States. However, much like how the "British" accent usually refers to English accents, the "American" accent usually means either the Californian or General American accents, since those are the ones most commonly heard in the media, and they sound pretty similar. And heck, even Canadian accents are often mistaken for American - for me, the real clue is the way they pronounce "about".
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 13:51:41
@shadowen Said

Just quote Monty Python. Whatever that accent is, is what we over here commonly associate as a "British accent".
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 14:17:18
it is kind of funny that british actors and actresses can do a better American accent than americans can.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 19:50:07
I kinda laughed when I heard about the "British" accent.
I understood all other accents that spoke English-type language,
why the heck wouldn't I understand the Brits --- I thought!

When I actually visited 'across the pond', and went to order something from a fast food place in one
of their tourism areas --- could not understand a word they were saying.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 20:17:58
@shadowen Said

Let's not forget Cockney!

So to a non-american ear. What did she sound like?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 20:18:42
@NNewt84 Said

I think when people say "British" accent, they're referring to a larger, super-category of accents, similar to when people say "American" accent when that could mean literally any accent from the United States. However, much like how the "British" accent usually refers to English accents, the "American" accent usually means either the Californian or General American accents, since those are the ones most commonly heard in the media, and they sound pretty similar. And heck, even Canadian accents are often mistaken for American - for me, the real clue is the way they pronounce "about".

You mean they way they pronounce aboot!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 20:22:48
@DuLu Said

I kinda laughed when I heard about the "British" accent.
I understood all other accents that spoke English-type language,
why the heck wouldn't I understand the Brits --- I thought!

When I actually visited 'across the pond', and went to order something from a fast food place in one
of their tourism areas --- could not understand a word they were saying.

My uncle had fathered a child from his time overseas in the service who's mom was British. He did not know about the kid. When the son was an adult he tracked down his dad & payed us all a visit to the states. One of my other uncles told him "Say! Your english is pretty good being in the country no longer than you have been!"
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#12New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 20:38:26
Never know who/what will show up on your doorstep, then and now.

Communication is important and it definitely makes things more
difficult when the languages or even body language for that matter
--- are different (or hostile/guarded in the case of body language).

@shinobinoz Said

My uncle had fathered a child from his time overseas in the service who's mom was British. He did not know about the kid. When the son was an adult he tracked down his dad & payed us all a visit to the states. One of my other uncles told him "Say! Your english is pretty good being in the country no longer than you have been!"
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#13New Post! Jun 24, 2016 @ 21:01:39
@NNewt84 Said

@shinobinoz Said

You mean they way they pronounce aboot!

Outside of TV shows parodying Canadians and maybe some parts of Eastern Canada, I've never heard any Canadian pronounce about as 'aboot.' It's a myth, like how we don't live in igloos.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Jun 25, 2016 @ 01:25:08
@psycoskunk Said

Outside of TV shows parodying Canadians and maybe some parts of Eastern Canada, I've never heard any Canadian pronounce about as 'aboot.' It's a myth, like how we don't live in igloos.

Peter Jennings gets pretty damn close to it though!
NNewt84 On July 19, 2018

Adelaide, Australia
#15New Post! Jun 25, 2016 @ 05:58:15
@psycoskunk Said

Me neither - to me, it sounds more like "a boat".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs