Forums:
Random

Terra Incognito & Intentionally having a child

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Jan 22, 2012 @ 23:55:09
Thought I'd toss this out there to see what others think.

1. I personally don't know where we are - Honestly. I know we have maps and diagrams of a ball of water floating in the middle of nowhere but I don't trust it.

2. From my own experience and many others' I can easily estimate that if I were to have a child it's life is going to be very lonely and often times hurtful.

3. I am not rich and there are not enough jobs to go around for my child to find one when they get older.

Being aware of these three factors would it not be immoral to still try and have one?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 22, 2012 @ 23:57:54
Plus the world is overpopulated as it is.

However, I don't think it's immoral to have children, it's a personal choice that usually stems from love.

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 00:00:31
@sister_of_mercy Said

Plus the world is overpopulated as it is.

However, I don't think it's immoral to have children, it's a personal choice that usually stems from love.

Yup, that was where I was getting at with job availability. That which is here now will more than likely multiply exponentially so by the time my child makes it to age twenty they might be manufacturing Soylent Green.
Thekatzmoue On April 27, 2012

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 00:03:19
Moral. Subject for a book? Opps, most of them have been written. Lots of them sold too.

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 00:07:05
@Thekatzmoue Said

Moral. Subject for a book? Opps, most of them have been written. Lots of them sold too.

Nope. Nothing to do with books - I mean, because I personally know better, it wouldn't be a virtuous thing to to do.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 01:06:21
@Electric_Banana Said

Nope. Nothing to do with books - I mean, because I personally know better, it wouldn't be a virtuous thing to to do.

Okay.

I'm asking this strictly in a non confrontational manner, because I really don't like fighting with you.

Do you honestly not see how incredibly condescending and arrogant you make yourself seem in probably 75% of the posts you make? If you do understand that you come off that way, do you feel that this is an effective method of getting people to listen to what you have to say? And if you don't realize it, is it something you want people to point out to you?

I am not trying to attack you, I honestly would like answers to these questions.

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 01:21:24
@Eaglebauer Said

Okay.

I'm asking this strictly in a non confrontational manner, because I really don't like fighting with you.

Do you honestly not see how incredibly condescending and arrogant you make yourself seem in probably 75% of the posts you make? If you do understand that you come off that way, do you feel that this is an effective method of getting people to listen to what you have to say? And if you don't realize it, is it something you want people to point out to you?

I am not trying to attack you, I honestly would like answers to these questions.

It's a genuine concern - I'm not trying to innuendo that I am 'smarter than..'

It's something that's difficult to explain when the subject of 'baby' comes up on rare occasions.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 01:27:44
@Electric_Banana Said

It's a genuine concern - I'm not trying to innuendo that I am 'smarter than..'

It's something that's difficult to explain when the subject of 'baby' comes up on rare occasions.

I can accept that, but can you answer the questions I asked? I'm really not trying to derail this thread and if you'd rather I ask them somewhere else, that's understandable.

Seriously, I'm not trying to start an argument...I am genuinely interested in hearing your answers.

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 01:30:20
@Eaglebauer Said

I can accept that, but can you answer the questions I asked? I'm really not trying to derail this thread and if you'd rather I ask them somewhere else, that's understandable.

Seriously, I'm not trying to start an argument...I am genuinely interested in hearing your answers.

Well....some times I say things to be intentionally arrogant for the sake of humour.

But not directly or personally offensive.

And I wasn't attempting to be condescending this time. I was hoping that some one might actually know what I'm rambling on about. I figured most people would just write this off as crazy talk.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 01:38:13
@Electric_Banana Said

Well....some times I say things to be intentionally arrogant for the sake of humour.

But not directly or personally offensive.

And I wasn't attempting to be condescending this time. I was hoping that some one might actually know what I'm rambling on about. I figured most people would just write this off as crazy talk.

Okay.

Regarding what you've written and the point it seems you're making, there are a lot of people I've known who feel the same and who see having children as irresponsible no matter who you are. One of my best friends in the word got a vasectomy when he was in his mid twenties because he has that same belief.

I have three children and if I'm being honest, only one of them was planned by me. One of them was a "happy accident" and I adopted my daughter. I think there absolutely cases in which people should avoid having children, and like practically anything else that a person can do willfully, I believe there are certainly immoral reasons to have children (read: to get more welfare money, to try to keep someone from leaving you who doesn't want to stay, etc) but I don't see the act itself as immoral.

So there's my on-the-fence answer.

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 02:23:04
@Eaglebauer Said

Those are common, healthy fears.

Anyone who has kids older than a couple weeks will tell you that they don't know what the hell they're doing and are afraid of giving their children bad information or getting stumped by questions like that. Being a parent often turns people into more philosophical creatures though and in answering a lot of the questions children ask, we learn a lot of answers we ourselves have been trying to figure out.

I don't like waxing poetic often and getting sappy and sentimental, but there's a line from Wordsworth I've kept with me since my oldest child was old enough to talk that says it well:

Oh dearest, dearest Boy! my heart
For better lore would seldom yearn,
Could I but teach the hundredth part
Of what from thee I learn.

Children in general I don't think are prone to asking things in an accusatory manner though, and when they become old enough to wonder why they are here it's usually the existential "Why am I here?" sort of question rather than "Why did mom and dad create me?" In a way the two questions do ask for some of the same answers, but they are two very different questions.

That's all of course in addition to the typical "I never asked to be born" diatribe that preteens get into sometimes, but when they do I feel it's more of a developmental stage in their personalities than genuine soul-damaging angst. I know this is a statement you've made before in assorted ways, but an adult making that statement gives it a meaning that I believe a preteen really wouldn't understand yet, and while it's common for kids to say something like that, it's less common I think for adults to have that sort of existential outlook.

Cool. Thanks, Eagle.
Belcher On August 14, 2012

Deleted

., Canada
#14New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 05:35:56
@Electric_Banana Said

Its good to dream man but when your poor its not virtuous to bring a life into the world anyway, knowing you cant properly provide for them. Even though it might be tempting.
Is this what your getting at?

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jan 23, 2012 @ 05:57:35
@Belcher Said

Its good to dream man but when your poor its not virtuous to bring a life into the world anyway, knowing you cant properly provide for them. Even though it might be tempting.
Is this what your getting at?

That too.

From the way I see things I'd have to be able to pave the kid's life until he or she is ninety-nine in order for me to feel comfortable enough to have one.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs