Forums:
Art & Literature

Tell me about the book you're reading.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Feb 24, 2009 @ 21:21:35
One of the things I do in the real world is review books. Would you like to give it a whirl? They don't have to be long, just tell us why we should or shouldn't read something you've loved or hated. This is just an example.

Reviews of Final Appeal
> Home > List By Author > Lisa Scottoline > Final Appeal
Author: Lisa Scottoline
Genre: Mystery and Suspense
Rating: 10/10 - 1 review
Ms. Scottoline?s books have not been of equal quality, but I have enjoyed each and every one of them.
Final Appeal, her second novel is definitely on the top of the list and won the Edgar Award; the highest honor for suspense fiction for good reason. In this book Grace Rossi from the Rosati firm is beginning over after a divorce. Grace doesn?t count on being assigned to an explosive death penalty appeal case, once she takes a job as a law clerk for a federal judge. She also doesn?t expect an affair with her boss the judge who is later found dead of an apparent suicide. While searching for the truth in her lover?s death; she uncovers a trail of bribery, judicial misconduct and corruption. The FBI is even stumped.
Scottoline has put together an absorbing cast of characters and a bright mystery to give the read action packed excitement.
Ms. Scottoline is on my short list of authors to read, and after meeting her; I enjoy her work even more. She?s down to earth and really knows about her subject.
The characters are excellent the plot is stimulating and the wise aleck remarks are hysterical.
I highly recommend this.

Length doesn't matter.
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#2New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 21:14:20
Sad to say but I haven't actually sat down and read a book for probably a good 2-3 years. The last being 'I Never Promised You a Rose Garden', by Joanne Greenberg, for like the seventh or eighth time.
Set in the late 1940's, this is the story of a 16 year old girl in the grips of mental illness and the 3 years she spends in an institution struggling with her personal demons and the world she inhabits in her mind. The interpersonal fights and realizations she goes through and the interactions with other patients, her friends, leads to a very poinent and insightful read into the workings of a damaged mind. A look at how the little things that we all face can become all inclusive obsessions for a few. Written in a very beautiful and moving way, Mrs. Greenberg has a way of drawing the reader in and wrapping one in the weave of her story. A very definite recommended read.
As a note, this story was also made into a movie in 1977 and stars a young Kathleen Quinlan in the lead role. She delivers a stirring and emotionally intense performance that is very true to the book.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 21:14:50
The Kite Runner. I just started it. I can't get into it at all.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:26:37
In response to the kudo, unfortunately I have to!
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#5New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:29:21
Psychology textbooks.

#6New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:32:14
@alexkidd Said

Psychology textbooks.

I've read hundreds; some are better than others. Any you'd recommend for a beginner?
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#7New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:39:40
@readsalot Said

I've read hundreds; some are better than others. Any you'd recommend for a beginner?

If you've read hundreds you're probably in a better position than me to recommend
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#8New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:42:53
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
By James Patterson

Its for those who have loved and lost and loved again
spadge On February 18, 2010
Aging Disgracefully

Deleted

Santa Land, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:43:38
I'm currently reading the atlas. Its rubbish. No plot or anything.
TheTanHatMan On June 06, 2010

Brooklyn, New York
#10New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:46:39
World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war" by Max Brooks.

I'm pretty sure this happened in real life it's so convincing and historically complete. Yikes!
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#11New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 22:50:01
@TheTanHatMan Said

World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war" by Max Brooks.

I'm pretty sure this happened in real life it's so convincing and historically complete. Yikes!

I really enjoyed that,
it was so weirdly believable!
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#12New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 23:04:51
ICEBREAKER, Who Started the Second World War?, by Viktor Suvorov, translated by Thomas B. Beattie, published by Hamish Hamilton, of London; ISBN 0-241-126223

For a synopsis, you might look here. The book is not too readily available, and two or three years ago, I saw it for sale, on eBay, for upwards of $1200, while being offered on amazon.com for $399.95 - $999.99, plus shipping. When a copy 'fell' into my hands, I was busy for a week, just proof-reading my scanned version, before I had to return it....
@A note to myself Said
Icebreaker is unobtainable in English at any reasonable price (hundreds of dollars) and is best read in German. Available in German from Arndt Buchdienst, or www.abebooks.com.

I'll return to this, within a week, to offer up my 'review,' Jazz. My copy has been sitting on a shelf, gathering dust, and I just rubbed it clean!

#13New Post! Feb 25, 2009 @ 23:05:07
One of the newest psychology books that I've read was,
Letting Go of Anger,The Eleven Most Common Anger Styles & What to do About Them, Ronald T.Potter-Efron, MSW, PhD

Clear, concise, makes sense. Understandable for anyone interested in what makes us, "tick".
Priestess On March 24, 2009

Brisbane, Australia
#14New Post! Feb 26, 2009 @ 12:02:46
Just finished reading reading Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" and now I've started the next one..."New Moon" I'm really enjoying it, can't wait to start the 3rd one.

#15New Post! Feb 26, 2009 @ 12:30:17
Mistaken Identity
Lisa Scottoline

Perhaps I fell in love with these books because of a fascination with the law, or they take me places near my hometown, or because they?re so extremely well written. They remind me of a horserace or a car chase with thrills, excitement, and emotional highs and lows.
Her novels follow the lives of different female lawyers belonging to the Rosato Firm. Mistaken Identity revolves around the head of the f
firm Benny Rosato. Benny has always believed that she was the only child of a single mother. When a face identical to hers comes for help her life goes into a whirlwind. The woman goes by the name of Alice Connolly and claims that their father has sent her. Alice is accused of killing her boyfriend and is in severe need of legal help. Benny has no immediate way of finding the truth but feels compelled to take her case.
Benny becomes involved in a muddle of puzzles, corruption and lies. She tries to bring it all to light.
Ms. Scottoline?s attention to detail is always perfect and you feel completely involved in the story. The emotional twists and turns keep you holding your breath. This writer gives you gut wrenching reality and the need to know. The ending will astound you.
Taut, thrilling, detailed, exciting, you come to love Benny Rosato and Associates.
Highly recommended.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs