Forums:
Politics

Teens cautioned about Myspace website

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#1New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 01:40:30
LEE COUNTY: The Myspace website is a popular website for teens, but people of all ages use the site. Most teens think they're safe using the site, but that's not always the case.

There's one word to describe the latest generation - connected.

"The internet is, obviously, the number one prime example of why we stay so connected," said 17 year old Neda Ahson.

Opening up an endless pit of social networking.

Because of the internet, Ahson has friends around the world.

"I'm sure you've heard of the website myspace.com. I think almost every student in my school has a Myspace page and that's a good way to stay connected, but also you're connected to over 400 million older adults and stuff like that," said Ahson.

The Myspace website is like having your own free website.

"In five months, probably 20,000 people have clicked on my profile," said Ahson.

Like most teens, Ahson has posted pictures and personal information on Myspace, making her information available to anyone.

"I don't even post where I live and stuff like that because I'm scared," said Ahson.

Most teens think they've done everything to keep them safe from online predators. But anyone can contact them, from a man looking for sex to an investigative reporter.

Kathryn Simmons: Do you know how we found you?
Ahson: No.
Simmons: You have no idea how I ended up at your house?
Ahson: No, it's been running through my mind, but I have no idea.
Simmons: We found your house because of Myspace.
Ahson: No way!
Simmons: Yes. You want to know how?
Ahson: How?
Simmons: See that first paragraph you have your friends names right there.
Ahson: Yes.
Simmons: We put their names into the search. You slipped up and put your last name on your friend's profile.
Ahson: Oh, my gosh, that's so funny.
Simmons: What do you think about that?
Ahson: Now, that's scary.

It was Simmons' first time on Myspace and it only took 15-20 minutes to find, not only Ahson's address, but a picture of her home. She even found out who Ahson's friends are and where they work.

"After this, I'm going to limit my use of all of this and never put my last name and never put anyone else's last name on here and tell, spread the word that others should be cautious of what they post," said Ahson.

The Myspace website is free to search profiles and doesn't even require registration to do a search.

"I think it's great you guys are doing this because I would have never known this was possible," said Ahson.

Parents should learn about the latest technology, so you can check in on your child.

Teach your kids to never meet up face-to-face with someone they met on-line and to never give out identifying information like their name, address, phone number, school name or where they work.
Tourist On August 04, 2009

Deleted

#2New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 01:42:35
It's good to inform teens that there are dangers on the internet. Thanks for sharing this.
Xavery On August 15, 2023
Certifiable BOT

Big City, Canada
#3New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 01:46:17
I agree. I recently posted a thread called "Sexting." Cyberspace is full of traps for teens. It would be so easy to be taken advantage of.

As our society becomes more technology based, I think the school system needs to educate teens and older children about being safe in cyberspace.
friendlybear On March 10, 2010

Deleted

Nanaimo, Canada
#4New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 01:48:04
@Tourist Said

It's good to inform teens that there are dangers on the internet. Thanks for sharing this.

I disagree. The danger is not on the internet but where the internet meets real life. Just make sure to keep the two separate.

Don't post personal details about yourself.
RedSuits1996 On August 26, 2009

Santa Monica, California
#5New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 03:37:46
I think there's a difference between people who know
what they're doing and people who think they know what they're doing...They should know to not accept friend requests from people they don't know.... and make their information
private and don't let anyone see their
profile unless they really know them
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#6New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 08:17:34
Is this really news?

And as far as dangers go, I'd rank myspace pretty low on the list.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 30, 2009 @ 08:19:43
I hate myspace. It makes no sense. I couldn't even set it up.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs