AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#31New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 18:34:24
@smilelove Said

Seriously?

15 years and 4 months together this September.

It's left a mark.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#32New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 18:35:49
@DiscordTiger Said

on that note, never storm out in a fight without your keys and wallet, because having to slink back into get them totally ruins the melodramatic exit.

It makes it more difficult to get to work on time if she's feeling vindictive and wants to hide those items.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#33New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 18:40:31
@magicgoat Said

It makes it more difficult to get to work on time if she's feeling vindictive and wants to hide those items.

See that is where we vary, I would not put up with that sort of abuse from a partner. It would only happen once, not be something that needs a contingency plan.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#34New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 18:43:22
@DiscordTiger Said

See that is where we vary, I would not put up with that sort of abuse from a partner. It would only happen once, not be something that needs a contingency plan.

I received an apology from her a couple years back. I feel I owe it to myself to at least try to drop the baggage and move on from the early years if at all possible.
Drgnfly83 On September 02, 2014

, Virginia
#35New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 18:55:20
@Tar Said

Love yourself before you get into a relationship.

Know yourself before you get into a relationship.

Accept that we are all flawed and no one is beyond reproach.

Always speak with "I feel" instead of "you do".

Never lie... EVER. No "white lies" no "fibs" and no "liberties with the truth" or "bending". Be absolutely honest with your partner, always. No negotiation

Love like its the first time. Don't make your partner pay for your past hurts. If you can't, then go back to lines 1 and 2

Say "I'm sorry", then figure out a plan to fix it, then follow through

Keep your promises!

Concentrate on each other's good qualities, but work together on how to improve on each other's weaknesses

Spend time together, QUALITY time in which you both interact. This does NOT include watching TV together.

Exercise together. Keep each other active and healthy

Support each other, emotionally, physically, mentally, etc.

Have lots of sex, even when you don't feel in the mood. If you aren't in the mood a lot, find out why not and work on it. Sex is VERY important as it often acts as a bonding agent between mates.

Laugh together

Tell stories to each other, personal ones.

Encourage each other

Remind each other how proud you are of the other

Discuss all the big decisions together, and most of the smaller ones too. (the petty ones you can usually do without).

Don't raise your voice during arguments. The louder you WANT to scream, the quieter you SHOULD speak.

Live together as if you are trying to set an example for what relationships SHOULD be... because you are. Your children will look to you as an example, so be a good one!

110% this!!!
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#36New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 20:10:09
@Drgnfly83 Said

110% this!!!

I'll see your 110%,... and raise you, 140%!
newmexicodan On March 31, 2024

roswell,
#37New Post! Jun 11, 2013 @ 20:20:54
The ideal relationship averages 50-50.What this means is that some days your partner is down,physically,or otherwise,so you make or buy dinner,take care of the children,whatever it takes.That day it might be 30-70.The next week it might be 60-40.You do what you can for each other not because you have to but because you WANT to.
Another thing is sometimes it's better to keep one's big mouth shut and just listen.
puzZles On November 13, 2020

Inside my mind's mind, United
#38New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 00:47:52
@Tar Said

Don't get complicated if the basics have not yet been fully understood. So... essentially, no. No surprise parties. Why? Yes, they are cute and sweet, but the small sacrifice of that vs the big gaping window you leave open for people who are liars that will use that window for bad things... its worth the surrender.

Its good to be vigilant, not paranoid.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#39New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 01:27:22
@puzZles Said

Its good to be vigilant, not paranoid.

this is true, but in a relationship, you shouldn't particularly need to be vigilant because you should trust your partner with a trust he/she already earned before ya'll got into a relationship
aspecht On October 31, 2014

Saginaw, Michigan
#40New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 02:09:09
@DiscordTiger Said

on that note, never storm out in a fight without your keys and wallet, because having to slink back into get them totally ruins the melodramatic exit.

I always get the embarassing pickup along the side of the road after a fight embarassment.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#41New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 15:47:54
@DiscordTiger Said

I can almost see that wisdom working for me if my children weren't involved.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#42New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 17:13:56
@magicgoat Said

I do know it is harder with children, but in the end parents need to provide them with at least a safe environment. I don't advocate separation lightly, but if that's what it takes to keep children safe and healthy, then do what needs to be done. It sucks yes, but its much better than letting things escalate until someone shoots someone else in the eye with a shotgun.

*not that I am saying you're in that bad of a situation, just in general, abuse is bad, and it does escalate, and it can be dangerous.
**and I watched a show last night where someone was commented their grandmother was a big mean woman who shot her husband in the eye with a shotgun.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#43New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 17:25:05
@DiscordTiger Said

I do know it is harder with children, but in the end parents need to provide them with at least a safe environment. I don't advocate separation lightly, but if that's what it takes to keep children safe and healthy, then do what needs to be done. It sucks yes, but its much better than letting things escalate until someone shoots someone else in the eye with a shotgun.

*not that I am saying you're in that bad of a situation, just in general, abuse is bad, and it does escalate, and it can be dangerous.
**and I watched a show last night where someone was commented their grandmother was a big mean woman who shot her husband in the eye with a shotgun.

yeah--I'm pretty certain that the kind of violence you're talking about is done with. I'm slightly bigger than she is and am okay at defending myself. I do my utmost to avoid conflict
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#44New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 18:16:54
@magicgoat Said

I left an abusive relationship when my daughter was 6months old. No way in hell was she going to grow up in an abusive household.

Don't use your kids as an excuse. Kids would rather be from a broken home then IN a broken home.

Your kids mental and physical health come first when you are a parent.

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#45New Post! Jun 12, 2013 @ 19:07:50
@Dark_Tink Said

I left an abusive relationship when my daughter was 6months old. No way in hell was she going to grow up in an abusive household.

Don't use your kids as an excuse. Kids would rather be from a broken home then IN a broken home.

Your kids mental and physical health come first when you are a parent.

I wondered about custody issues and what that meant for the boys. She wasn't marketable in terms of providing steady income and my check might not have been enough. Also anticipating questions about abandonment and giving up too soon on what I sort of knew to be a difficult situation even before we married.

Back in September of 1999, my brother predicted that I'd be divorced in five years. That was a huge challenge to my ego.

And I desperately wanted then as I still sort of do now want the marriage to work.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs