Society & Lifestyles

Suicide.....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#1New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:04:24
...is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

It would seem that there are those who lose hope to the extent that they crave death. Many times the people that do this are very isolated from others and the shame is that a few kind words from someone at the right time might have the effect of saving a life.

Suicide is a waste in the extreme.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/10101928/detail.html
steveuk On May 15, 2012

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:07:35
I think suicide is a permenant solution to everything, as far as the person doing it is concerned.

Personally, I've never tried it.
rporter On August 06, 2010

Filey, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 11:09:20
U might wanna tell that to the emos!! HAHA (sry i shouldn't take the piss on a serious post, yeah i think i must agree with you that suicide is the worst possible solution to a problem, however i frequently think that many ppl who commit suicide are too weak to deal with their problems, i no this may seem like a very close minded view, and i no there are situations when ppl may feel trapped and that there is only one way to escape their problems, but hey its my belief
loh_loh On November 15, 2006

Ballston Lake,
#4New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:03:17
For most people (I read this on a suicide site) Suicide is attempted when the amount of pain being felt surpasses the abilitites to deal with it. Which makes a bit of sense. If I loaded weights on top of your head eventually you'd be crushed no matter how badly you wanted to stay standing. The reasons why some people feel more suicidal is that they have been taught less ways to deal with the pain, so they are more likely to fall.

Halliburton, Texas
#5New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:25:23
Many years ago I had some one close to me commit suicide. Hind sight being 20/20, I could see how their actions were the end result of a long chain of self-destructive behavior.

Has anyone known some one close that committed suicide?

How did it affect you personally?
tinofbeans On January 08, 2009

derby, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:29:26
I think it's easy to have answers and theories when you can stand outside the situation.When you are living a life that feels pointless, hopeless and devoid of a future it is not so simple. The pain can be absolutley unbearable, it can consume your being and make life a living hell, a hell to which anything (suicide) is better.

As for it being a permenant answer to a temporary problem, often depression is not a temporary problem. Many people can and do face lifelong battles with it, and only after many years of trying various medications and therapies do they decide to try commit suicide.

'The reasons why some people feel more suicidal is that they have been taught less ways to deal with the pain, so they are more likely to fall.'

I don't think thats a fair argument. Some depressed/suididal people have the best ways of dealing with pain, thats how they manage to get up out of bed in the morning and try and live a life. It's nothing to do with ways of dealing with pain... it's the amont of pain and the time span... IMO.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 12:39:26
@tinofbeans Said
I think it's easy to have answers and theories when you can stand outside the situation.When you are living a life that feels pointless, hopeless and devoid of a future it is not so simple. The pain can be absolutley unbearable, it can consume your being and make life a living hell, a hell to which anything (suicide) is better.

As for it being a permenant answer to a temporary problem, often depression is not a temporary problem. Many people can and do face lifelong battles with it, and only after many years of trying various medications and therapies do they decide to try commit suicide.

'The reasons why some people feel more suicidal is that they have been taught less ways to deal with the pain, so they are more likely to fall.'

I don't think thats a fair argument. Some depressed/suididal people have the best ways of dealing with pain, thats how they manage to get up out of bed in the morning and try and live a life. It's nothing to do with ways of dealing with pain... it's the amont of pain and the time span... IMO.

Well said tinofbeans

Halliburton, Texas
#8New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 13:03:55
@kasabian Said
Well said tinofbeans

Agreed.

It is interesting, at least to me, that in third world countries; where the struggle from the time one awakens is to feed one's hunger; suicide is virtually unknown.
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 19, 2006 @ 13:06:20
@silenthunder Said
Many years ago I had some one close to me commit suicide. Hind sight being 20/20, I could see how their actions were the end result of a long chain of self-destructive behavior.

Has anyone known some one close that committed suicide?

How did it affect you personally?

1 of my best mates committed suicide when i was 15 altho he wasn't ever unhappy..... i have since found out that it was an accident and he wanted to find out what it felt like......
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Oct 20, 2006 @ 05:13:49
Personally I think suicide is an act of selffishness. What about their family, parents, and friends they leave behind.

I understand that those who contemplate it feel that that is the last resort and that there is not hope, but I don't know, to me its nothing but selfishness
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 20, 2006 @ 05:25:00
@garfunkel Said
Personally I think suicide is an act of selffishness. What about their family, parents, and friends they leave behind.

I understand that those who contemplate it feel that that is the last resort and that there is not hope, but I don't know, to me its nothing but selfishness

sorry that argument really annoys me can u imagine the despair, isolation and sheer hell a person who is going to commit suicide feels. im not on about the attention seekers who are forever taking 5 paracetomol then ringing people to say 'ive taken an overdose' but the people whose world is hell. quite often they believe their death will be a relief for family and friends. for some people life is just too hard and words like selfish are cruel.
btw my father and uncle comitted suicide so maybe you can understand my anger.

Halliburton, Texas
#12New Post! Oct 21, 2006 @ 15:34:01
@brainfarmer Said
sorry that argument really annoys me can u imagine the despair, isolation and sheer hell a person who is going to commit suicide feels. im not on about the attention seekers who are forever taking 5 paracetomol then ringing people to say 'ive taken an overdose' but the people whose world is hell. quite often they believe their death will be a relief for family and friends. for some people life is just too hard and words like selfish are cruel.
btw my father and uncle comitted suicide so maybe you can understand my anger.

I had a close girlfriend that committed suicide. I can understand your anger and I can understand what affect that anger has on your life.

I can only believe that if we could speak to those who have done this, one of the regrets that they might express is that they didn't realize just how deeply we felt towards them.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 21, 2006 @ 15:41:46
i agree, i think it is so selfish. to go and leave other people to deal with what is left behind. it is a cowardly thing to do. i dont know anyone who has actually succedded, but a while back a mate was telling me he felt like doing it. my view is dont put your s*** on me. if youare going to do it, go ahead and do it. dont make others feel like it is their fault.
he didnt in the end!!!
sono_hito On November 09, 2007

Provo, Utah
#14New Post! Oct 28, 2006 @ 09:25:50
why with the selfishness claims all over the place? as someone that battled depression for many years, i had to debate with myself many times why i should not take my own life. to some of my closest friends i voiced these concerns and my arguments for and against. the problem became not that they didnt attempt to help me, but that my arguments at the time where so complete that most of the time my friends needed clinical help so THEY didnt commit suicide. as someone said before, when your in that state, its not about yourself having to deal with the pain, but that your pain is likewise causing pain in those you care for. that your life ending will lessen their pain and problems that you'r causing. and while your batteling the problem many times it can be true in a sense. most are merely trying to remove that which is causing the resistance, most of the time thats your existance plain and simple. im in no way advocating nor condoning suicide. many people just have chemical imbalances that can cause those feelings, but some have legitimate problems that they and the support group around them is unable to cope with. so stop thinking of it as a selfish attempt to hide from problems.
claire On September 15, 2009

Perth, Australia
#15New Post! Oct 28, 2006 @ 10:31:26
garfunkel:

I understand what you're saying about suicide being a selfish act because all the people around them are the ones left to suffer. But I don't think you're seeing the bigger picture.

When I was about 15, a mate of mine killed himself. It came totally unexpected and was a shattering blow to everyone, even those who weren't that close to him, because he seemed like a happy person, who had a lot going in life, and who was quite popular....I guess not!

After his death, I worked with a suicide crisis centre, as part of my healing process (i needed to understand what he was feeling/thinking and why he felt he couldn't speak about it), what I realised was people who are suicidal want to die because they believe it would be better for everyone if they never existed. Different circumstances cause this belief, but the thought that they're death would make other peoples lives that much better is so strong that it forms tunnel vision.

I've never tried to kill myself, but I've had periods were I've thought that may be this world doesn't need me. And when I've thought this way, the last thing going through my mind is how selfish i'm being.
If you asked someone who thought like this, what the'yre thoughts were at the time, guranteed they'ed say their doing you a favour!

You might view suicide as a selfish act, and I strongly disagree with people who act suicidal just for attention, to me that is selfish, but truely suicide isn't selfish it's just a state of mind, and until you've been there, be it directly or indirectly, you don't really know!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs