Forums: Science:
Psychology

Study of human behavior/body language - Some questions

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
kaleyoutloud On November 19, 2010

O Fallon, Missouri
#1New Post! Nov 18, 2010 @ 00:56:04
Hiya. My name's Kaley, and I'm a 19 year old with a strong interest in Psychology. I plan on pursuing at least a master's degree in Psychology, but I have some questions.

I'm very interested in the study of human body language. I've always been pretty good at observing and reading people, as it's something I've sort of done all my life. I'm very interested in studying and interpreting human body language and facial expressions. To give you a sort of exaggerated, Hollywood-ized version of what I'm talking about - think of the show "Lie to Me." I have a few questions about it.

While pursuing my degree, would I be able to specialize in this field? What is the term for this particular area of psychology?

What kind of careers are available to someone specializing in this aspect of psychology and human behavior?

Any information anyone can provide would be very helpful. Thanks!
carlstss On January 25, 2014

Derby, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 18, 2010 @ 01:00:11
I think they use people like this in justice sector dont they, Like when there questioning someone or if someone is in court you are supposed to anylise there physical reactions to certain questions or remarks. Dont hold me to that though i am not 100%.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#3New Post! Nov 18, 2010 @ 09:45:51
Perhaps if you studied profiling which is way past a master's degree.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Social_Psychology/Human_Relations
You could major in Social Psychology. Google-you'll find quite a few majors which include this.
Enquiry On November 29, 2011

Hawthorn, Australia
#4New Post! Dec 13, 2010 @ 12:43:55
Hi,

I am also a big fan of Lie to me, which has given me a lot of inspiration in my pursuit of a psychology career. I'm not quite sure if there is a heap of career options for the study of body language/ microexpressions, other than Airport security/ crime investigation. However, it may be an open field as far as research goes. Just a word of advice - don't get too sucked in with the show because it is just pop fiction. I mean, how on earth are actors supposed to genuinely 'act out' these 'natural' twitches in the face and other facial cues?

P.s Would you consider yourself to be close to a natural 'Truth Wizard' like Torres?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs