Strict Oklahoma abortion laws spark court battles

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Oct 23, 2009 @ 22:26:25
I agree with this former Democratic state Rep...
Quote:
"It is particularly Draconian, abusive, intimidating," said former Democratic state Rep. Wanda Jo Stapleton, a plaintiff in the lawsuit challenging the reporting requirements. "Those are totally intimidating, totally personal questions, and it's nobody's business."

https://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OKLAHOMA_ABORTION_LAWS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#2New Post! Oct 23, 2009 @ 22:34:37
It is clear those laws are designed to intimidate. If they want to keep statistics on abortions then they can do it in a confidential manner. Also, whatever happened to laws that pertain to medical confidentiality?
The only thing women can now do in Oklahoma is lie when asked those questions. I sure as hell would or go to a different state to have the abortion.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Oct 23, 2009 @ 22:43:20
@Ellen Said

It is clear those laws are designed to intimidate. If they want to keep statistics on abortions then they can do it in a confidential manner. Also, whatever happened to laws that pertain to medical confidentiality?
The only thing women can now do in Oklahoma is lie when asked those questions. I sure as hell would or go to a different state to have the abortion.

There's a few laws that is being ignored by Oklahoma gov.
Since when does the government tell doctors how to treat a patience and what to say or do during the treatment?
If it was statistics they were thinking of ,why the long survey full of personal questions ?
cailyn10289 On November 12, 2015
Scottish on Fridays

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 05:34:58
I would be a complete smartass on a survey like that.

Why do you want to abort your baby?

"Because I don't want to risk having a child grow up into a f***tard that shoves their views down other's throats"

Any more questions?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 06:04:33
@cailyn10289 Said

I would be a complete smartass on a survey like that.

Why do you want to abort your baby?

"Because I don't want to risk having a child grow up into a f***tard that shoves their views down other's throats"

Any more questions?

When I was of 'child bearing age' I personally wouldn't consider abortion an option ,so I can not know what the emotional state of someone that has made the decision but I can imagine smart a** would turn into angry long before the end of that survey . And on a serious note I'll bet if a survey was handed in with smartassed answers that woman would have to start a trip tic to some other state for an abortion . The poster that said lying on that long list of questions will be the norm is probably close to the right guess.IMO
Scottish on Fridays

#6New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 06:09:23
@iwannano Said

When I was of 'child bearing age' I personally wouldn't consider abortion an option ,so I can not know what the emotional state of someone that has made the decision but I can imagine smart a** would turn into angry long before the end of that survey . And on a serious note I'll bet if a survey was handed in with smartassed answers that woman would have to start a trip tic to some other state for an abortion . The poster that said lying on that long list of questions will be the norm is probably close to the right guess.IMO

I'm not planning on getting an abortion, I'm married and stable, and honestly, I'm far too careful.

I just don't think these survey's are necessary, and I was just inserting a smart a** comment. If I decided to get an abortion, I would never get it in a state that imposes themselves so drastically upon women. Hell, I refuse to even live there.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 06:24:29
@cailyn10289 Said

I'm not planning on getting an abortion, I'm married and stable, and honestly, I'm far too careful.

I just don't think these survey's are necessary, and I was just inserting a smart a** comment. If I decided to get an abortion, I would never get it in a state that imposes themselves so drastically upon women. Hell, I refuse to even live there.

Your use of the word "If' to start your post made it clear you were posting an opinion not a planned action I didn't take it any other way than that.
My first thought when I read your post was to totally agree and if i was faced with a government survey like that one sounds about just about any topic imaginable I'd show my a** with smart a** replies 100%.
And at 109 years of age I sure wouldn't think you were flighty enough to be the type to use it as birth control ...
Scottish on Fridays

#8New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 06:34:10
@iwannano Said

Your use of the word "If' to start your post made it clear you were posting an opinion not a planned action I didn't take it any other way than that.
My first thought when I read your post was to totally agree and if i was faced with a government survey like that one sounds about just about any topic imaginable I'd show my a** with smart a** replies 100%.
And at 109 years of age I sure wouldn't think you were flighty enough to be the type to use it as birth control ...

LOL I'm actually 20...so perfect breeding age. Well, maybe not for me, in my mind 20 is FAR too young.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 06:41:57
@cailyn10289 Said

LOL I'm actually 20...so perfect breeding age. Well, maybe not for me, in my mind 20 is FAR too young.

I was married at 15 and had my three kids before my 20th birthday . Not bragging nor am I em brassed just stating the facts . But in hind sight ,I never have regretted being blessed with my 3 kids. But many many times as they were growing up I wished I'd waited till I was older and better prepared mentally,emotionally and financially.
Scottish on Fridays

#10New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 07:04:16
@iwannano Said

I was married at 15 and had my three kids before my 20th birthday . Not bragging nor am I em brassed just stating the facts . But in hind sight ,I never have regretted being blessed with my 3 kids. But many many times as they were growing up I wished I'd waited till I was older and better prepared mentally,emotionally and financially.

I wasn't trying to put young mothers down. A mother is the hardest thing to be, I have so much respect for any mother--any age. I just meant I couldn't really handle being a mother. I have far too much on my plate as it is.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#11New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 07:26:13
Im all for it. If you can afford $550 for an abortion, you can afford an extra $100 to drive out of state and get it. I live in about the center of Oklahoma. It is a little less than 4 hrs (drive) to Dallas if you dont speed, it is not much more to Kansas City...You dont wanna answer the questionaire, then you can take your baby killing elsewhere.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#12New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 08:25:33
@cailyn10289 Said

I wasn't trying to put young mothers down. A mother is the hardest thing to be, I have so much respect for any mother--any age. I just meant I couldn't really handle being a mother. I have far too much on my plate as it is.

bold text
It didn't sound like you were doing anything at all like that .
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#13New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 08:31:22
@Coleosis Said

Im all for it. If you can afford $550 for an abortion, you can afford an extra $100 to drive out of state and get it. I live in about the center of Oklahoma. It is a little less than 4 hrs (drive) to Dallas if you dont speed, it is not much more to Kansas City...You dont wanna answer the questionaire, then you can take your baby killing elsewhere.

I've already stated that abortion never was an option for me personally.

What caught my attention is the amount of government involvement in a persons private business. In this case it's abortion . Is there other medical procedures that the Government wants a person to answer a questionnaire comparable to the one mentioned in the report ?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#14New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 08:49:19
Whats the deal with The gov. wanting to post a persons private medical records on line publicly??

a state judge has temporarily blocked enforcement of a new Oklahoma law that would require doctors to report detailed information about abortion patients, which would then be posted online.

Quote:
The law, passed by a solid majority of the Oklahoma Legislature, would require physicians to report such information as age, marital status, race, number of children, education level and the mother?s relationship to the father. It would also require the reason for the abortion, the cost and the type of payment used.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/10/judge-bars-restrictive-oklahoma-abortion-law-requiring-patient-data-to-be-posted-online.html
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#15New Post! Oct 24, 2009 @ 10:27:44
@iwannano Said

I've already stated that abortion never was an option for me personally.

What caught my attention is the amount of government involvement in a persons private business. In this case it's abortion . Is there other medical procedures that the Government wants a person to answer a questionnaire comparable to the one mentioned in the report ?

I wasnt directing that at you, sorry if it came off that way. I see what you mean with the gov's envolvement. At the same time, is there another medical procedure that does nothing but stop the chances of survival for something? Other than euthanizing and animal or criminal. Even if you argue that it isnt a person yet, it still reduces the chances of it becomine a living human from 100%-1% to an absolute 0%. Its definately a delicate subject, but in my opinion, I like the idea of both making the woman in positiion to see the ultrasound screen, and the questionaire.

@iwannano Said

Whats the deal with The gov. wanting to post a persons private medical records on line publicly??

a state judge has temporarily blocked enforcement of a new Oklahoma law that would require doctors to report detailed information about abortion patients, which would then be posted online.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/10/judge-bars-restrictive-oklahoma-abortion-law-requiring-patient-data-to-be-posted-online.html

They need examples of how they intend on posting the information. If they plan on just scanning the questionaire, blacking out the name and posting it online, then I do not agree with posting it online. If it is just one of those "73% of women who have abortions are black 11thgrade dropouts that dont have a relationship with the father." Then I agree with the statistics being public.

Quote:
Names of patients would not be included in information that would be posted online by the state?s health department, but abortion rights advocates say because Oklahoma is such a small state it would not be difficult to identify some patients.

Thats the biggest load of bulls*** ever. Over 3.5 million people live in Oklahoma. If it doesnt state more than age, race, educational level, marital status, cost of abortion, and marital status...no one is going to be able to pick you out of the over 6,000 abortions in Oklahoma each year. Unless you got a really good deal and you went around bragging about how much you paid to have an abortion.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs