Stolen Democracy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#16New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 01:11:11
@Marcussextus Said

Indeed, that's why in my OP I said "WE have taken our eye off the ball".
Here in Oz we have compulsory voting, not that they chase dodgers much, they don't really care enough. We get a lot of what are labeled "donkey votes", those who simply tick boxes at random or screw up their votes deliberately, but I feel that even the majority of our voters are donkey voters anyway, they follow the party line unquestioningly.
It seems to me that as long as the "average" Aussie voter gets their job, two weeks annual leave and mindless pap on TV they don't give a damn who runs the country!
I'd LOVE to find a way to effectively block all TV transmissions for a couple of months, there'd be "blood on the streets" then alright!

It's an interesting point the donkey votes,but in all honesty Marcuss you and I are old enough to know,that we've done the right thing and tried voting for the people we've "thought" were the best one's,only to have it all thrown back in our faces.
I just wish there was some way,when they prove they're not going to do as promised,WE the voters had some say in whether they stay to do the job or are ousted quicker than they got in,instead of having to wait until the next election.

I remember when little Johnny Howard stood for PM,at the time I thought about how Jeff Kennett dragged Victoria back into the red by the shoe strings,thinking Howard would do the same with the rest of the country,BUT,at no stage did I believe he would turn us all upside down and shake everything we had out of us .

Ya know,that little Mongrel walked away with a $30,000,000 golden hand shake,plus whatever else they bleed out of the Australian Taxpayers.

Stolen Democracy???,your not wrong about that
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#17New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 01:15:21
@Demented Said

It's an interesting point the donkey votes,but in all honesty Marcuss you and I are old enough to know,that we've done the right thing and tried voting for the people we've "thought" were the best one's,only to have it all thrown back in our faces.
I just wish there was some way,when they prove they're not going to do as promised,WE the voters had some say in whether they stay to do the job or are ousted quicker than they got in,instead of having to wait until the next election.

I remember when little Johnny Howard stood for PM,at the time I thought about how Jeff Kennett dragged Victoria back into the red by the shoe strings,thinking Howard would do the same with the rest of the country,BUT,at no stage did I believe he would turn us all upside down and shake everything we had out of us .

Ya know,that little Mongrel walked away with a $30,000,000 golden hand shake,plus whatever else they bleed out of the Australian Taxpayers.

Stolen Democracy???,your not wrong about that

Wow!
It wasn't until I got to the "Johnny Howard" part that I looked at your location and realized you weren't talking about the US
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#18New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 01:37:57
@mrmhead Said

Wow!
It wasn't until I got to the "Johnny Howard" part that I looked at your location and realized you weren't talking about the US

The Australian voting public have been treated as fools for decades,and there's nothing we can do about it,our hands are tied.
Here in N.S.W where I live,the Government uses our money to build new roads,then charges us a toll to use them,that's after blocking off streets around it to force us onto their new roads.
Unfortunately Marcuss and I are old enough to remember just what a great country we grew up and lived in,since those times we've seem many Government whittle away at our manufacturing side,for instance,We have our own car manufacturer (GMH Holden)next year it's moving over seas and all GMH cars will be foreign made cars,Ford Australia is folding up and we've got ads on TV now telling us that Mustang and other American made Fords will be imported,the down side of all this id that it's all at the cost of thousands of Australian Jobs,people with Mortgages,and families relying on these companies for a living,why our Federal Government has the attitude of I'm still doing great.

Our Current PM Big ears Abbott,when he get's kicked out,will get a $470,000 tax free pension for life,Free travel anywhere in Australia or around the World "First Class" at our expense,and they reckon crime doesn't pay, these bastards have been lying,cheating and stealing from the voters for decades and there's nothing we can do about it,because the next one's in will do exactly the same things.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#19New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 02:16:53
@Demented Said
these bastards have been lying,cheating and stealing from the voters for decades and there's nothing we can do about it,because the next one's in will do exactly the same things.

Too flamin' right there mate!
I've had the misfortune to largely always live in "safe" Liberal electorates, my vote was thus utterly meaningless.
I think this sums it up succinctly...

And as for our poor misunderstood PM.....

bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#20New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 02:38:56
Feel free to berate the crap out of our politicians - they are more than worthy of it. BUT, always remember this maxim: "You get the politicians you deserve."

I have long held the view that people should have to sit and pass a test before they are allowed to vote. Voting is a privilege that people should be forced to earn, not a "right" that should just be handed out to everyone.

Democracy demands vigilance by the people. The people can't be vigilant when they are too busy buying crap they think they need, eating themselves to death, or looking at pron, "celebrities" or some other irrelevant muppets...
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#21New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 02:48:12
@shinobinoz Said

He will be seen as a fairly decent president.

Not by me he won't. The guy is at best a total moron for lauding the "Arab Spring." It was obvious what was going to happen - even I could see it, and said as much here.

As the death toll rises, I say that at least some of that blood is on his hands. He should have supported the dictators who kept the fascists in line... Admittedly, that is not a good option either, but the death count would probably have been much lower, and we would probably not be getting sucked deeper into a conflict that we can not afford to be involved in trying to reverse the trajectory of the "Arab Spring" he loved so much... Still, in fairness, he was left to deal with the stupidity of GW and his daddy.

NE, Ohio
#22New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 02:51:53
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I have long held the view that people should have to sit and pass a test before they are allowed to vote. Voting is a privilege that people should be forced to earn, not a "right" that should just be handed out to everyone.

That's supposedly what the Electoral College in the US was supposed to be for in the Presidential elections.
If the popular vote elected Bozo the Clown, or Joe Walsh for president, the electoral college - which "really" elects the president - could choose to vote for someone else - though many states have now passed laws that the electoral votes must follow the popular vote.

Adelaide, Australia
#23New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:01:36
I've never understood American politician's obsession with interfering in other nations, I've supposed it was at the behest of their business bosses?
As for the Arab world, I believe they are all still politically primitives, they all seem to instinctively go for the "Big Man" arrangement, the structure of primate troupes and many other herd animals. Why is that?
You can't blame education either, even back before Islamic Fundamentalism was widely spread by the Saudi Wahhabi sect they were much the same.
We "civilised" nations have at least evolved to the "Big Group", although we all too easily revert at times.
I suggest that our only real hope for a future is if we can genetically remove our relevant latent monkey genes, but can you see that ever coming to pass?
Picture it, any government going to the people and saying,.."We're going to genetically modify your children, trust us, it'll be good for you!"
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#24New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:03:00
@mrmhead Said

That's supposedly what the Electoral College in the US was supposed to be for in the Presidential elections.

I didn't know that. I had heard of the Electoral College thing in the US Presidential elections, but I had no idea what it was. Considering some of the past Presidents, that system ain't working.

@mrmhead Said
If the popular vote elected Bozo the Clown, or Joe Walsh for president, the electoral college - which "really" elects the president - could choose to vote for someone else - though many states have now passed laws that the electoral votes must follow the popular vote.

If Bozo the Clown was running in the next Australian election, he would definitely get my vote.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#25New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:14:35
@Marcussextus Said

I've never understood American politician's obsession with interfering in other nations, I've supposed it was at the behest of their business bosses?

With the exception of constantly meddling in the affairs of Latin countries for reasons of finance, the USA has often struggled with a bent toward isolationism. I think that it is ok for the USA to get involved in foreign politics, they just need some lessens in dealing with the rest of the world before they do it.

Really, what they should have done several years ago is gone to Israel and asked, "what should we do about this mess," and then done what Israel told them to.

@Marcussextus Said
As for the Arab world, I believe they are all still politically primitives, they all seem to instinctively go for the "Big Man" arrangement, the structure of primate troupes and many other herd animals. Why is that?
You can't blame education either, even back before Islamic Fundamentalism was widely spread by the Saudi Wahhabi sect they were much the same.
We "civilised" nations have at least evolved to the "Big Group", although we all too easily revert at times.
I suggest that our only real hope for a future is if we can genetically remove our relevant latent monkey genes, but can you see that ever coming to pass?
Picture it, any government going to the people and saying,.."We're going to genetically modify your children, trust us, it'll be good for you!"

Islam is by nature a religion of slavery and submission (Islam actually means "slave" ). The strongest wins. Also, the religion itself discourages things like growth and free thought - hence the lack of Islamic philosophers and scholars of any meaningful sense over the past 1400 years.

I would like to genetically modify our politicians so that, if they lied, a rather large pecker would spring up on their foreheads. There wouldn't be a peckerless forehead in Canberra.

Adelaide, Australia
#26New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:29:07
@bob_the_fisherman Said

If Bozo the Clown was running in the next Australian election, he would definitely get my vote.

He certainly couldn't do any worse than our current feral import!

There are very serious questions to be answered as to whether our PM was even eligible to stand for Parliament in the first place, and why the paperwork thereon has been denied to anyone under FOI, if it's all kosher then why the secrecy?

Read this, and other related articles on the site.

Hmmmm

And also

Rules is rules
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#27New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:30:44
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Not by me he won't. The guy is at best a total moron for lauding the "Arab Spring." It was obvious what was going to happen - even I could see it, and said as much here.

As the death toll rises, I say that at least some of that blood is on his hands. He should have supported the dictators who kept the fascists in line... Admittedly, that is not a good option either, but the death count would probably have been much lower, and we would probably not be getting sucked deeper into a conflict that we can not afford to be involved in trying to reverse the trajectory of the "Arab Spring" he loved so much... Still, in fairness, he was left to deal with the stupidity of GW and his daddy.

Things out of his control mind you. He is still going to be seen as a good president.

Adelaide, Australia
#28New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:32:37
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I would like to genetically modify our politicians so that, if they lied, a rather large pecker would spring up on their foreheads. There wouldn't be a peckerless forehead in Canberra.

NE, Ohio
#29New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:45:36
@Marcussextus Said

There are very serious questions to be answered as to whether our PM was even eligible to stand for Parliament in the first place, and why the paperwork thereon has been denied to anyone under FOI, if it's all kosher then why the secrecy?

Don't tell me you have "Birthers" down there too!?!?

Adelaide, Australia
#30New Post! Oct 18, 2014 @ 03:51:10
@mrmhead Said

Don't tell me you have "Birthers" down there too!?!?

Common fallacy and used to obfuscate the issue here.
We know where and when he was born, that's not the question. Our constitution demands that anyone standing for election can ONLY be an Australian citizen, no dual citizenships allowed.
Abbot is a Pom, English born, but the relevant authorities both here and in England are refusing to reveal if and when he renounced British citizenship, a crucial detail that is ordinarily freely available.
If he was elected under false pretences then his entire career is invalid, along with his current position.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs