Stephen Hawking: God did not create Universe

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:03:47
There is no place for God in theories on the creation of the Universe, Professor Stephen Hawking has said.

He had previously argued belief in a creator was not incompatible with science but in a new book, he concludes the Big Bang was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics.

The Grand Design, part serialised in the Times, says there is no need to invoke God to set the Universe going.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something," he concluded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11161493

FYI this is in the physics and not the religion forum for a reason, by all means discuss the physics involved but please don't turn this into yet another "God did it" "No he didn't" argument.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#2New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:10:25
I don't quite understand his reasoning though (at least not the one sentence quote used to summarize his point in the article I read, lol), where he says that spontaneous creation of the universe is a result of the existsnce of gravity. But the problem is, gravity is a property of matter, and before the big bang there was no matter, so therefore no gravity. I'm sure if I read the book it would make more sense, but that's how it strikes me right now.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:12:28
There's nothing to go on to discuss the physics of it. What does it mean that gravity is what makes spontaneous creation possible?

Can gravity exist before the earth was created?
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:15:57
@SparklyKatie Said

FYI this is in the physics and not the religion forum for a reason, by all means discuss the physics involved but please don't turn this into yet another "God did it" "No he didn't" argument.

Awww, I don't understand physics, i don't understand religion either. But I find rambling works very well sometimes. Can we ramble?
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:18:20
@Lili Said

I don't quite understand his reasoning though (at least not the one sentence quote used to summarize his point in the article I read, lol), where he says that spontaneous creation of the universe is a result of the existsnce of gravity. But the problem is, gravity is a property of matter, and before the big bang there was no matter, so therefore no gravity. I'm sure if I read the book it would make more sense, but that's how it strikes me right now.

The creation of the Universe (a singularity) was infinitely dense with infinite gravity, before even matter was formed so I don't think it is a property of matter.

@chisa96 Said

There's nothing to go on to discuss the physics of it. What does it mean that gravity is what makes spontaneous creation possible?

Yes, it did.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#6New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:19:10
If an athiest says there is no place for God it must be true.
\m//O_O\\m/

#7New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:20:55
@raditz Said

If an athiest says there is no place for God it must be true.

If a theist says there is a place for God it must be true.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#8New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:21:29
@SparklyKatie Said

If a theist says there is a place for God it must be true.

Yup.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#9New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:23:05
@SparklyKatie Said

The creation of the Big Bang (a singularity) was infinitely dense with infinite gravity, before even matter was formed so I don't think it is a property of matter.

Yes, it did.

Just so I don't look like a complete dumbass, I meant universe.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:26:32
@chisa96 Said

Compared to the universe itself (and, obviously, the fundamental forces of nature), the earth is a newborn.

That's like asking if life could exist before you were born.

In any case, I can't really find fault with any of the quoted statements.
\m//O_O\\m/

#11New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:30:31
@chisa96 Said

Just so I don't look like a complete dumbass, I meant universe.

No one can know what happened before the Universe started, for all practical purposes gravity came into existence at the moment of the Big Bang. It's a bit more complicated, for a time all the various forces (electric, magnetic, strong, weak, and gravity) were one unified force until the universe cooled and they branched off into separate ones. (I think lol)
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:31:13
@jonnythan Said

Compared to the universe itself (and, obviously, the fundamental forces of nature), the earth is a newborn.

That's like asking if life could exist before you were born.

In any case, I can't really find fault with any of the quoted statements.

I know!
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#13New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:33:12
@SparklyKatie Said

No one can know what happened before the Universe started, for all practical purposes gravity came into existence at the moment of the Big Bang. It's a bit more complicated, for a time all the various forces (electric, magnetic, strong, weak, and gravity) were one unified force until the universe cooled and they branched off into separate ones. (I think lol)

But how that disprove god?
\m//O_O\\m/

#14New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:36:15
@chisa96 Said

But how that disprove god?

He's not disproving God, he's saying God isn't necessary.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#15New Post! Sep 02, 2010 @ 18:50:15
@SparklyKatie Said

The thing is that that's not new (and it doesn't explain the gravity statement), nor is the idea that god isn't necessary, which is what makes me think that he's going further than that.

The only new statement is
Quote:
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.
, which doesn't quite make sense with no further explanation. (at least, i don't understand without further explanation.)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs