The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

State of mind influencing events in reality or reverse?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:23:02
Within thirty minutes time TFS just did an about face into the creepy zone and for once I am positive that it is not depression or my current state of mind that has influenced the transition in any way.

So can we now say that in most instances the Law of Attraction may apply but in some instances if s*** is gonna go all David Lynch, no matter how much sun I'm shining, it won't stop it?
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:38:42
Maybe the "law of attraction" is more a law of perception? Like the two guys who each find a cash filled payslip. One rejoices at finding the cash, the other moans at how much tax was deducted.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:43:02
And on a more serious note, Merton's words on the state of sainthood....

The saints are what they are, not because their sanctity makes them admirable to others, but because the gift of sainthood makes it possible for them to admire everybody else.

So the judgemental person meets very few who "measure up", while another always seems to meet decent people.

And so on, and so on......

, New Zealand
#4New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:44:00
@tariki Said

Maybe the "law of attraction" is more a law of perception? Like the two guys who each find a cash filled payslip. One rejoices at finding the cash, the other moans at how much tax was deducted.

Well, yeah, and that's where the God/Satan and Heaven/Hell dichotomy fall into place as well. Like both oppositions are existing simultaneously and we have a choice as to what we acknowledge or grace with our attention.

I think I've just got to learn that if it's stupid, ignore it, and regard it as someone else's problem.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:45:40
@Electric_Banana Said

someone else's problem.

Hey, where have I heard that one before?

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 22:57:45
@tariki Said

Hey, where have I heard that one before?

I'm pretty sure that's what Adams was on about.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 23:01:49
@Electric_Banana Said

I'm pretty sure that's what Adams was on about.

I assume you mean the Somebody Else's Problem field that hid the spaceship controlled by Bistromath and parked behind the screens at Lords?

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 23:04:16
@MadCornishBiker Said

I assume you mean the Somebody Else's Problem field that hid the spaceship controlled by Bistromath and parked behind the screens at Lords?

LOL - yeah. That's the one.

Sometimes not only is ignorance bliss but it is detrimental.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#9New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 23:10:13
I don't know much about the Law of Attraction except to say that it may work if we had more control over our own subconcious minds. I believe we do bring things into our lives but not through concious thoughts.
Also, perception and reality can affect each other in either direction.

Banned

#10New Post! Nov 08, 2011 @ 23:23:08
@futilevoice Said

I don't know much about the Law of Attraction except to say that it may work if we had more control over our own subconcious minds. I believe we do bring things into our lives but not through concious thoughts.
Also, perception and reality can affect each other in either direction.

The only problem with that is that we do control our subconscious minds, though not as easily as the conscious one.

We can "program" it as I have proved many times over. For instance people often say I have extremely quick reactions when I catch things before they fall, but I haven't, I have simply trained my subconscious to react before my conscious mind knows what is happening. When you are as clumsy as I can be it pays to do so.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#11New Post! Nov 09, 2011 @ 01:25:15
@MadCornishBiker Said

The only problem with that is that we do control our subconscious minds, though not as easily as the conscious one.

We can "program" it as I have proved many times over. For instance people often say I have extremely quick reactions when I catch things before they fall, but I haven't, I have simply trained my subconscious to react before my conscious mind knows what is happening. When you are as clumsy as I can be it pays to do so.

That is not what I am talking about. You have trained yourself to adapt to an obvious disorder of clumsiness. If you were in control of your subconsious you would not be clumsy to begin with. Most people do not have that type of connection or control to resolve those issues.

Banned

#12New Post! Nov 09, 2011 @ 10:06:12
@futilevoice Said

That is not what I am talking about. You have trained yourself to adapt to an obvious disorder of clumsiness. If you were in control of your subconsious you would not be clumsy to begin with. Most people do not have that type of connection or control to resolve those issues.

My clumsiness is purely physical I can assure you.

In the cases majority of cases only because they don't choose to do so. Almost anyone can do it, no-one could drive a car successfully if they couldn't, abut 80% of driving becomes trained reflex. If you are a driver, just think how long it took you to make certain aspects of it "automatic". Especially if your car has a manual gearbox.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Nov 09, 2011 @ 12:21:09
@futilevoice Said

There is such a thing as spiritual bypassing. A well trained Buddhist meditator, Jack Kornfield has recognised this, and relates studies made of long term meditators who have sought to "know themselves", to bring forth the sub-conscious etc etc. The studies reveal - this in those who considered themselves "advanced" - "conflictual themes such as fears and dependency struggles"........"idiosyncratic conflictual themes such as fear of rejection"......."unresolved personal, relational, and occupational issues that have remained unaltered"......and it goes on.

Which brings to mind, again, the words of Confucius..."Shall I teach you to know something? Realize you know it when you know it, and realize you don't know it when you don't."

His words seem very simplistic, yet are not, for they point to the fact that the fool who knows he is a fool, in that at least he is wise. Yet the fool who thinks himself wise, he is a fool indeed.
anthonyjohn On October 04, 2013

Cardigan, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Nov 25, 2011 @ 19:56:17
I find the idea of 'spiritual bypassing' (as I understand it) fairly repugnant and I am pretty sure that most Buddhists would also. at least, those who believe in reincarnation and the law of kharma.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Nov 25, 2011 @ 20:06:05
@anthonyjohn Said

I find the idea of 'spiritual bypassing' (as I understand it) fairly repugnant and I am pretty sure that most Buddhists would also. at least, those who believe in reincarnation and the law of kharma.

For me the main point would be that we would be unaware of it happening, however repugnant it may or may not sound. It all involves "who" is in charge, and whether there can ever be a totally foolproof "technique" for gaining true understanding.

The Good Book says, in one of the little Parable of the Kingdom, that after all of our efforts....the earth brings forth fruits of herself, we know not how. Which corresponds to the Buddhist Pure Land "made to become so of itself", where no working (our own) is true working (Amida's).

This, irrespective of what one may or may not "believe".
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs