Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 17 18 · >>
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#226New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 18:39:37
@karljkampovsky Said

My theory is that a transporter device could be used as a time machine as well,by merely travelling against the natural direction of the rotation of the Earth! But anything like that lies in the future,and I am not sure what would happen to a person who travelled past the day of their birth!

The direction that a planet rotates has no correlation to time. Venus turns in the opposite direction of all other planets. It is still going in the same direction of time as every other planet in our solar system.
stantheman On February 23, 2009

Banned

here there, United Kingdom
#227New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 18:42:07
@alexkidd Said

Can we keep this free of personal insult?
It's the last refuge of the person who doesn't know what they're talking about.

grow up people.

wll i didn't really inslut anyone but i get your point
jck200 On April 22, 2009

cardiff, United Kingdom
#228New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 18:52:15
alex,

It would be amazing if people just answered my question.

So here it is again and open to anyone who can understand the question.

Question: Do you think space is nothing at all ... or...do you think space is made of something?

Naturally I expect those who choose space is made from something to know exactly what that is in substance rather than imagination.

I can appreciate those who do not know what space is but am not impressed when they make statements concerning space despite this.

Answers please.

john

Banned

#229New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 18:54:44
everything is made of something

Deleted

, Texas
#230New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 18:58:31
@jck200 Said

alex,

It would be amazing if people just answered my question.

So here it is again and open to anyone who can understand the question.

Question: Do you think space is nothing at all ... or...do you think space is made of something?

Naturally I expect those who choose space is made from something to know exactly what that is in substance rather than imagination.

I can appreciate those who do not know what space is but am not impressed when they make statements concerning space despite this.

Answers please.

john

how can anyone answer your question. you seem to make things up from your imagination and do not speak in the same scientific terms that others do. there for, it would be impossible to know what your imagination thinks about space.
jck200 On April 22, 2009

cardiff, United Kingdom
#231New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:00:28
stan,

If everything is made of something then there is no empty space.

That means every particle must have no space between it and any other particle next to it...that is known as a solid block.

Now, if you think everything is a solid block then that is your idea of the truth and you are welcome to it.

john
jck200 On April 22, 2009

cardiff, United Kingdom
#232New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:08:48
skottie,

I did stress for those who could actually understand the question rather than those who have no idea what the question means.

Considering most of the theory is based on what space can do it is not much to ask that someone somewhere knows what space is made of that allows it to do anything.

I am clear, space is empty and how anyone can confuse the empty space with matter that might exist in some small quanities within the empty space is beyond me.

No one confuses the space in a room with the furniture in it do they?

If I talk about the space in the room I am not talking about the furniture am I?

If you say we do not know what empty space is but we have this wonderful theory about it I say great I am very pleased for you.

I should not have to beg anyone not to confuse theory with fact.

john

Banned

#233New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:11:50
@jck200 Said

stan,

If everything is made of something then there is no empty space.

That means every particle must have no space between it and any other particle next to it...that is known as a solid block.

Now, if you think everything is a solid block then that is your idea of the truth and you are welcome to it.

john

so your telling me the air you breath is a sold block ?

Deleted

, Texas
#234New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:20:54
@jck200 Said

john

@jck200 Said

I am clear, space is empty and how anyone can confuse the empty space with matter that might exist in some small quanities within the empty space is beyond me.
john

sounds like you answered your own question.

alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#235New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:23:46
I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by what space is made of?
its not made of anything.its a definition of area, which can be subjective. empty space is an area that contains no matter.

I'm assuming you mean like 'space' as in the big black bit in between planets. i don't believe it is 'made of' anything.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#236New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:26:22
@alexkidd Said

I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by what space is made of?
its not made of anything.its a definition of area, which can be subjective. empty space is an area that contains no matter.

I'm assuming you mean like 'space' as in the big black bit in between planets. i don't believe it is 'made of' anything.

His point is that it's not made of anything, therefore it can't have any properties such as curvature.

He still doesn't understand topology, spacetime curvature, tensor fields, etc.

Deleted

, Texas
#237New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:31:15
@jck200 Said

skottie,

I did stress for those who could actually understand the question rather than those who have no idea what the question means.

Considering most of the theory is based on what space can do it is not much to ask that someone somewhere knows what space is made of that allows it to do anything.

No one confuses the space in a room with the furniture in it do they?

If I talk about the space in the room I am not talking about the furniture am I?

If you say we do not know what empty space is but we have this wonderful theory about it I say great I am very pleased for you.

I should not have to beg anyone not to confuse theory with fact.

john

john, how can space be empty if it still has small quantities of matter in it? sounds like it is not empty.

lets go with a lamp in a room. the lamp gives off light and that light is photons... the photos are a type of energy in the room and you say everything is made out of energy. so it seems to me the room is not empty. not solid either (before you try and go there again )
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#238New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:40:22
@jonnythan Said

I love how many threads devolve into people directly attacking my character and insulting me. I guess it says a lot about people.

In fact I like you jonny, I was just playing, sorry if you thought what I said was an attack. It was not intended to be!

alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#239New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:49:29
@jonnythan Said

His point is that it's not made of anything, therefore it can't have any properties such as curvature.

He still doesn't understand topology, space time curvature, tensor fields, etc.

That's some pretty complex stuff, I havn't got a clue about it.

There's no shame in that, its not my area, none of us can know everything. What of course we must not do when we do not have access to or in depth understanding of all the information is to assume we do.

Jack, with what basis do you claim that the scientific consensus is so far off when you yourself are admittedly uneducated in the matter?
You can not believe it, that's you're right.
Just like you can not believe in evolution if you wanted, or believe in ghosts or a 9-11 conspiracy.
If you wish to be taken seriously you will have to point out actual flaws in the current theory and show how your theory more correctly fits the model of the universe.

Also what we know about the universe is an ever growing and expanding enterprise, physicists are not trapped inside their own biased boxes as you seem to think. Why not write a paper and present your hypothesis for academic review?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#240New Post! Feb 23, 2009 @ 19:52:30
true, there's a lot that science doesn't know about the way things work. Just look at quantum mechanics and entanglement for example. Some weird stuff there, and they really don't know how it works, they just know that it does. We'll never know everything.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 17 18 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs