Southern United States ,History ,Race relations

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Feb 26, 2010 @ 15:37:49
It seems that some Native Americans have something in common with 19th century white slave owners .
And it wasn't just black people that were disfranchised by the US government.

Quote:
Before removal, some Southern Native American tribes owned black slaves. The Cherokee, Choctaw, and Chickasaw were known to have had slaves. Just as they adopted Western culture (Christianity, yeoman farming techniques, and educational institutions), they also adopted slavery.[citation needed] But unlike the United States before Emancipation, African Americans (and European Americans) were allowed to become citizens of their respective Native American nations; however, it was rare for African Americans to become citizens of Native American nations. For example, a small number of "Free People of Color" lived in many Native American nations as Cherokee, Choctaw, or Creek citizens.

From 1890 to 1908, white Democrats in legislatures passed new disfranchising constitutions that completed provisions for making voter registration and voting more difficult. Most blacks and many poor whites were disfranchised, a condition which the state legislatures maintained for six decades into the 20th century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

I found this info while looking for information about early Native Americans .And since it is part of the US history on slavery I figured I'd post it .
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#2New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 01:42:07
@iwannano Said

It seems that some Native Americans have something in common with 19th century white slave owners .
And it wasn't just black people that were disfranchised by the US government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

I found this info while looking for information about early Native Americans .And since it is part of the US history on slavery I figured I'd post it .

But it's still going back to the very same point here......why do we care who owned slaves? Anyone who owned slaves were INSANE!!! I don't care who they were or what race they were.....SLAVERY IS WRONG!!! And just because you found info that says Native Americans owned humans as well as whites....doesn't make the issue any better......like when someone says, "it was the Africans that first sold their own people." Big deal......still didn't make it right......and they were INSANE as well!!! Period! No one can justify SLAVERY!!!!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 01:51:10
@Spinkiegirl Said

SLAVERY IS WRONG!!! still didn't make it right......and they were INSANE as well!!! Period! No one can justify SLAVERY!!!!

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Slavery-Today-/381673
Check out this thread and join the war.
tantan On May 21, 2011

Jacksonville, Florida
#4New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 02:10:13
@Spinkiegirl Said

But it's still going back to the very same point here......why do we care who owned slaves? Anyone who owned slaves were INSANE!!! I don't care who they were or what race they were.....SLAVERY IS WRONG!!! And just because you found info that says Native Americans owned humans as well as whites....doesn't make the issue any better......like when someone says, "it was the Africans that first sold their own people." Big deal......still didn't make it right......and they were INSANE as well!!! Period! No one can justify SLAVERY!!!!

I'm not trying to start s*** about the looooong a** debate on slavery, but the reason the Native Americans owned slaves was for the reason of assimilation. Whites basically gave them a choice: Either act, worship and attempt to be like us, or get cut down in the proces. (They were cut down anways, though) I think they (Native Americans) justified their actions by thinking it would be easier for them to be Christianinzed and all that.

Chicago, Illinois
#5New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 02:18:34
@iwannano Said

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Slavery-Today-/381673
Check out this thread and join the war.

Join what war? I don't support war of any kind.....I have the belief there is always a better way to accomplish good other than fighting.....I will do whatever is within my power and beliefs to help anyone who is suffering....but I can't conceive of killing someone unless it's self defense......however, please let me know if there is something specific I can do to help!

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 02:27:35
@tantan Said

I'm not trying to start s*** about the looooong a** debate on slavery, but the reason the Native Americans owned slaves was for the reason of assimilation. Whites basically gave them a choice: Either act, worship and attempt to be like us, or get cut down in the proces. (They were cut down anways, though) I think they (Native Americans) justified their actions by thinking it would be easier for them to be Christianinzed and all that.

Yeah I get what you are saying.....and if it's true, then it's still wrong and evil in my book! Even still....NO JUSTIFICATION for owning humans!! It's disgusting IMO!
tantan On May 21, 2011

Jacksonville, Florida
#7New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 02:31:18
@Spinkiegirl Said

Yeah I get what you are saying.....and if it's true, then it's still wrong and evil in my book! Even still....NO JUSTIFICATION for owning humans!! It's disgusting IMO!

Yeah, I get that, nowadays it's considered horrible, deplorable etc. But back then, it was a must. Southern farmers needed them to make money and to work the plantations, the north depended on the south for their products produced by said slaves; and then the NA just wanted to be apart of the crowd.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#8New Post! Feb 27, 2010 @ 02:38:41
@Spinkiegirl Said

Join what war? I don't support war of any kind.....I have the belief there is always a better way to accomplish good other than fighting.....I will do whatever is within my power and beliefs to help anyone who is suffering....but I can't conceive of killing someone unless it's self defense......however, please let me know if there is something specific I can do to help!

Okay, I'll re word it to say Join the fight.

https://dev-antislavery.doteditor.net/english/slavery_today/default.aspx

The lack of response on the topic of contemporary slavery from a person that has several dozens of posts and many many threads speaking out about how negative their feelings are towards the topics of slavery and racism ,IMO has shown it may be less about slavery and racism they make such loud noise about and more about 'victim' and 'attention' . To coin a fav of some" No one is being harmed by me expressing my personal opinions" and "as an American it's my right to free speech to say what my opinon is and afterall it's ok because it isn't hurting anyone"
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Mar 06, 2010 @ 03:13:00
@tantan Said

Amen. Just think about how crazy that was. So your tribe to lessen the chance of the genocide and ethnic cleansing they see going on around them decide to become "civilized" which included having slaves like any proper civilized christian people!

WAR was fought within those tribes over being traditional and NOT having slaves.
It was all for naught as we all know. White european invaders moved into log houses complete with fine china and pianos while the usa soldiers led the Cherokee/Choctaw/Chickasaw/Seminole on the trail where they cried.
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#10New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 16:41:29
I think Iwannanow is trying to say, all people were responsible for slavery one time or another so why do reparations and privileges exists today for certain "so called" minorities.
We American Citizens are living for today and for the youths future of this great country.
This is why I say " GET OVER " the past because it only brings ill attempts to keeping the past alive.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#11New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 17:23:20
@rocket48 Said

I think Iwannanow is trying to say, all people were responsible for slavery one time or another so why do reparations and privileges exists today for certain "so called" minorities.
We American Citizens are living for today and for the youths future of this great country.
This is why I say " GET OVER " the past because it only brings ill attempts to keeping the past alive.

Thank You Rocket.
I can not count the different ways I have pointed out with links and quotes that very thing, every race , every country , every Continent, everyone ,every where at some time has enslaved
another human being and has been enslaved by another human being for profit . Either from the labor or the sell of slaves. By today's standards it is wrong . By the standards of the past it was thought to be not only acceptable but necessary. native Americans enslaved their neighbors long before the Europeans 'forced' them to enslave Africans. Africans enslaved their neighbors long before the Porchagese 'forced' them to sell their neighbors to them.
It was eventually consider so wrong, that most of the world has stopped the practise of owning slaves. (And just for the record, the USA is one of the countries that stopped the practise.)
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 17:30:25
@shinobinoz Said

Amen. Just think about how crazy that was. So your tribe to lessen the chance of the genocide and ethnic cleansing they see going on around them decide to become "civilized" which included having slaves like any proper civilized christian people!

WAR was fought within those tribes over being traditional and NOT having slaves.
It was all for naught as we all know. White european invaders moved into log houses complete with fine china and pianos while the usa soldiers led the Cherokee/Choctaw/Chickasaw/Seminole on the trail where they cried.

Okay shino, what were the captives took from the neighboring tribes defeated in war called , before any Euroians ever stepped foot on the shores of North America?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#13New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 17:53:22
In Africa when the slave owners went out and captured their neighbors for slaves it was thought that the males were more trouble then they were worth ,so all the males were killed. The slave owners were afraid the males would rebel and were dangerous. It wasn't until the Europeans wanted the males for field hands that they were allowed to live when a village was raided for the capturing of slaves.
In North America the only reason the native Americans allowed a grown male to live and be brought back to the village was for torture . All others were killed on the spot .
You might ask why I went and researched this info. It's because I'm tired of hearing all the time about how horrible the white man was to the innocent Africans and Native Americans.
I have to say that I have spent most of my life researching the native Americans history, (and no not the victors recording of history.) But until I joined TFS and started researching some of the claims I hear stated here I really had not dug into the more violent side of the Tribes towards each other. I was always more interested in their daily lives , their food gathering , the enormous gardens and the food preservation methods ect...
When not at war the indivisural tribes were very well setup , everyone pulled their own weight for the good of the whole. Their were no slackers , the small children spent their time as 'scare crows' keeping the wild life and birds away from the gardens , the older kids were busy learning what they needed to know as contributing adults , even their games were about learning , any fun of participating in the games was a bonus. The elderly had the care of the very young while the adults were busy .

Chicago, Illinois
#14New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 23:17:32
@rocket48 Said

Yeah, but just think how condescending it sounds to tell someone..."get over it".....it's rude as hell.......no one should ever say that to justify why they don't feel the same way......you deal with pain and hurt the way you want......let others do the same! It's NOT about keeping this issue from our past alive!! It's means much to that to some folks.....live and let live!!! you have no right to say how I or anyone should feel about anything! COMPASSION!!!

Chicago, Illinois
#15New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 23:41:28
@iwannano Said

Thank You Rocket.
I can not count the different ways I have pointed out with links and quotes that very thing, every race , every country , every Continent, everyone ,every where at some time has enslaved
another human being and has been enslaved by another human being for profit . Either from the labor or the sell of slaves. By today's standards it is wrong . By the standards of the past it was thought to be not only acceptable but necessary. native Americans enslaved their neighbors long before the Europeans 'forced' them to enslave Africans. Africans enslaved their neighbors long before the Porchagese 'forced' them to sell their neighbors to them.
It was eventually consider so wrong, that most of the world has stopped the practise of owning slaves. (And just for the record, the USA is one of the countries that stopped the practise.)

Again....it matters NOT to me, that the practice of owning slaves was acceptable in the past, and that there has been slavery in most parts of the world.....practiced by many different races of people! It was still brutal and still evil! And even though you have been researching slavery and provided many good links on this subject.....the facts and what slavery leaves us with is profoundly dreadful! You must know we as humans (past and present) have the ability to know and choose right from wrong! All slavery was NOT practiced in the same way......and it doesn't make it any better knowing that some people seem to believe, that by saying things like "Africans enslaved their own people before anyone else did." Or, "Native Americans killed other tribes long before others did." is simply ridiculous! Who cares......still made it something evil and disgusting! So America was a country that "stopped the practice"....should have never allowed it to happen in the first place!!! Slavery is just one of the many reasons we are even debating this issue!!! Slavery bred lasting effects on the very planet we all share.......it's fine if you let's say, owe another person money or land or whatever.....then working as a servant to pay your debt is fine......but we know, that's NOT what slavery was......and in turn those who practiced it.......lay foundations of horrific evils on mankind!!! You would have to be a fool not to see that! There is simply NO just cause for slavery that we know......would you yourself practiced this evil if you lived in the days of slavery?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs