Souls?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#1New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:19:47
After discussing paranormal things on my other post I thought up of this.
Christians and anyone who reads the bible will say that Humans or rather "man" is the only being with a soul. Now here Is my question.
What exactly is a soul? and how can we determine if it exists? I mean has anyone seen a soul? is there scientific proof or any proof whatsoever that a soul exists? Who is to say that animals do not have a soul?
In my opinion, A soul is just another term used to describe self- consciousness. I know many of you, especially the religious type will argue with it due to "faith" and what not but really. If A soul is just another word for our self-consciousness then animals must also have a soul. They feel and they think and they too are evolving just like us. And does this mean that we are nothing more than conscious beings who are born and then Die? then how do we explain supernatural phenomena?
bor3113 On July 07, 2008

Welland, Canada
#2New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:23:01
I beleive that every living thing has a soul, but I'm not a Christian or a Theist of any kind. I just simply think that there's more to us than what we can see physically.
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#3New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:32:56
I personally believe that when we ded we ded period!!
hiro On October 30, 2008

Deleted

, Washington
#4New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:33:26
but infinity sounds cool
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:34:24
I believe in a global conscience. That we are all a part of the same being, or soul, or nature. That on some level, if we hurt nature or other people, then we are hurting ourselves. And in that way everything has a soul.
bor3113 On July 07, 2008

Welland, Canada
#6New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:36:55
@young_nick Said
I believe in a global conscience. That we are all a part of the same being, or soul, or nature. That on some level, if we hurt nature or other people, then we are hurting ourselves. And in that way everything has a soul.

Do you happen to be a Pantheist?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 02:57:18
the bible does not actually say that animals do not have souls.

That is stictly a christian (maybe a christian-judeo-muslim) idea.

Many other belief systems ("religions" ) do believe (and did believe throughout history) that animals have souls.

Buddhism is a good example...in buddhism the animal is just the form housing the soul. the soul "evolves" through many lifes (life times)...one of which is human...eventually becoming "enlightened" and evolving into a spirit ("soul" ) state...and eventually to a state of nirvana.

(please forgive the over simplification here)

anyway...the idea that only humans have souls is ultimately a representation of the worst of all "sins"...vanity.
bfelosi On January 09, 2013

Benham, Kentucky
#8New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 03:02:03
You're right you are going to get a lot of different answers. To me your soul is you innermost being, your body is only a house for your soul. When your body dies your soul goes on to your eternity. Who is to say animals do not have souls? My eternity will be heaven. What will yours be?
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#9New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 03:12:03
@bor3113 Said
Do you happen to be a Pantheist?

Never heard of it.
I just looked it up, and it's very similar in a way to what I believe.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#10New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 03:13:57
Well. I know I will get a lot of different answers as with any other forum. But I personally think that yes we all are conscious sentient beings. Whether the bible actually says it or it's just a Christian belief I honestly at this moment cannot answer that. i just cannot remember at this moment. But Still "Soul" "Heart". I see them both as just terms used to describe our consciousness. Eternity in my opinion is something we as Humans can never attain. other than ina "spiritual way" I guess, and by that I mean as beings in some different form of matter. I mean we are made up of matter and I 'd like to think that even our thoughts or thought process soul is also a part of matter. therefore we will continue to be a part of something. Wow. my attempt to explain just ended up confusing the hell out of me. but I hope you get at least an angle of my point.
impfina On November 16, 2010

Winter Haven, Florida
#11New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 04:40:15
too many questions here, not enough answers. I believe in God. i dont know what religion to follow him under. every religion has a god...
but back on subject.
Here's somethign a lil interesing. if god has all this power then why cant there be ghosts and such? If christians believe in god with his all mighyness, then why do they thing that there cant be other things? i dont get how people can be so closeminded. drives me nuts!

this is a confusing subject juan. the best thing i c an say do, is to look at the way you see things. analyze it. no one can make u believe something u dont want to believe.

anyways. i got another freaky story. like a month ago i was walking to my room very late at night and i heard knocking coming from the room across the hall, i was the ONLy one on this side of the house. i turned to see what it was and then it did it again. i was in my room within two seconds laughing at myself.
just thought id share that to lighten things up.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#12New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 05:24:58
Like any other topic. yes it is very confusing. I have my Growing opinions on the subject but like always. it's interesting to hear other people's Ideas about topics such as these.
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

#13New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 07:13:48
Well since Souls happen to be just another term for consciousness how come Christians look bad upon people selling their soul to the devil? I mean if it isn't real then why even bother?
and how can you sell what doesn't exist?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 07:43:51
I think a soul is a combination of all the things learned and inherited and the chemicals running through your body.
bor3113 On July 07, 2008

Welland, Canada
#15New Post! Apr 14, 2008 @ 22:12:29
@young_nick Said
Never heard of it.
I just looked it up, and it's very similar in a way to what I believe.

Pantheism
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs