Mental Health

Somethings to Say When Someone Wants to Kill Themselves

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...6 7 8 · >>
beccyanne On January 22, 2009

Perth, Australia
#16New Post! Jan 17, 2009 @ 12:21:11
I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression 10 yrs ago. I have tried suicide 4 times, one large overdose put me in hospital for 3 weeks, 2 of those weeks I was unconscious. My daughter kept telling me I was selfish to do such a thing....I told her she was selfish for wanting me to continue living in my mental hell that I couldn't escape from for one minute of the day, for weeks and months on end. I didn't want to die...I wanted to escape from the hell in my mind that I had no control over. Mental torture is impossible to describe unless you have been through it...

I have not been in hospital for over 2 years now and I am on daily meds, I had years of therapy, both group and one on one. I no longer need therapy, but I have learned a lot from therapy...

Please never look down on someone who suicides....you don't know their hell....
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#17New Post! Jan 17, 2009 @ 12:36:13
is your daughter okay? im not looking down on you... ive been there... but thats got to be traumatic as hell to see your parent try to do that...

the only suicide threats that truly disgust me are the manipulative ones as mentioned... to threaten something like to people who have seen others actually do it is f***ing cruel and they should be punched in the face, and then shot in the knee cap...

i feel better...
hartytarty On March 01, 2009

chester, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Feb 18, 2009 @ 22:03:32
People who really trully feel suicide would try to do anything but drag attention to themselvs. The inner state is changed and they see suicide as "normality", others might see suicide as a madness act, but these people see suicide as a normal next option (kind of choosing where to go for the night)..... The only way for those people is to try and see what and how to be able to view suicide as irrational .... and this is the hardest part.....even writing about it looks and feels so normal
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#19New Post! Feb 20, 2009 @ 00:30:50
Keep in mind that for every one suicide, approximately 17 people are negatively affected.
imhotep On November 18, 2009

St Dogmaels, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Feb 20, 2009 @ 00:32:50
Hows about a CRACK rock?
myk1992 On August 01, 2011

Deleted

Tired out shack :), United Kin
#21New Post! Feb 20, 2009 @ 13:11:18
One of my best friends was once feeling suicidal and we had a very long talk on the phone about how he's got so much more to live for and I gave him a few phone numbers that he could use if he wanted to. He did, and now he seems to be a changed person always happy and pleased to see people.
I think its just good for people to know that there are always people to talk to if they are feeling down.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#22New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 23:35:18
I think it's different for everyone. Some do it because they want out of the pain, and some do it to teach their family a lesson. Some want their family/friends to notice their change in moods so they'll help them, and others just wanna be left alone and don't wanna hear stories.

The permanent solution to a temporary problem can't always apply. Sometimes that "Temporary problem" is a lifelong mental illness they can't escape from.

And sometimes it makes matters worse to hear somebody say "I've been there" or "I know how you feel". Everybody thinks diferent, and all had different experiences and react to it in different ways.

Most of the time they know "How selfish they're being" which makes them feel worse. They know ALOT more than people think, and they know all the catch phrases and halfhearted "I've been there" speeches.

They'll start to do things they'll never do. Like act like a jerk, so nobody will miss them. Or they'll become more affectionate to give love and life one last chance.

I think the best think you can do is let them know you care and want them around. And show them you MEAN IT.

That's all I have to say for now.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#23New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 00:33:08
And one other thing. Usually the ones with the least signs are the ones who usually kill themselves. They put on a happy face.

So for all you guys know, Your best friend, or sibling, could do it when you least expect it.
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 00:45:01
I've known several 'suicidal' people (as in those who cry out for help)

Not a single one of them actually did it.

On the other hand, i've known 2 who did suicide.
Neither of them told a soul.

It's all well and good to say it's a cry for help when someone threatens suicide and i'm not totally unsympathetic to the point i'd ignore the threats, however if you buy into it once, that type of person will threaten suicide everytime they want attention and you wind up going round in circles with them.

Next time some selfish s*** tells me they are going to suicide, I plan on saying 'f***ing do it, i'll call you in the morning'.

And to the lady who let her kid know she was suicidal, you selfish mother f***er you deserve a bullet, pull your head out of your arse and do your goddamned job.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#25New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 00:53:15
@Straightup Said

It's all well and good to say it's a cry for help when someone threatens suicide and i'm not totally unsympathetic to the point i'd ignore the threats, however if you buy into it once, that type of person will threaten suicide everytime they want attention and you wind up going round in circles with them.

Next time some selfish s*** tells me they are going to suicide, I plan on saying 'f***ing do it, i'll call you in the morning'.

And to the lady who let her kid know she was suicidal, you selfish mother f***er you deserve a bullet, pull your head out of your arse and do your goddamned job.

lol Dayumm...

I agree though. If they keep threatening just to get their way, hell with them. Let 'em do it.

But everybody deserves the attention at least once. It could do wonders.
TheEvilObvious On March 28, 2013

, Canada
#26New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 01:03:20
i find that if i ever have the desire to hurt myself or if i just want to die, i think about my family and my friends.

I have had a friend go through this, and they tell me repeatedly that i helped them more than i know. But the only thing i did was tell them that i would be devastated if they went through with it and that i care about them and i don't like seeing them so miserable.

So if i ever feel absolutely horrible about myself i just remember what it feels like from the outside and i picture what it would feel like for the people around me if they found me dead one day.

You must realize that there is someone who cares, someone you might not even realize cares.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#27New Post! Oct 04, 2010 @ 02:33:54
Good God, that's harsh!

@Straightup Said

sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Oct 17, 2010 @ 21:36:01
@Straightup Said

You sound like the most caring person in the world...
Someone we all need in our lives at times of deep distress...
A really good mate...NOT!
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#29New Post! Oct 17, 2010 @ 21:47:45
@Straightup Said

I bet you're a Psychologist or at the least a counselor right?

Hope that no one in your life that you love more than anything ever decides to tell you they're thinking of suicide and you tell them to do it and you'll call them in the morning to the sound of a 'dial tone', maybe and I surely hope this NEVER happens to you then you will see that every cry of suicide is a cry for help and if you don't have the empathy nor the compassion to at 'least' direct them to someone who does care enough to at least listen and not dismiss them.

Your comment to that lady was totally uncalled for because you have not lived her life and know nothing about any detail of her life.

Be thankful that yours is so much better than hers that you have never done anything so abhorrent that another can never claim you are selfish.

Getting educated on this topic would prove to be very useful to a majority of the time because in my opinion if you don't care enough to educate yourself about this, then thank god you've never been in that dark place yourselves and I hope you never are because sometimes life is a b**** and what you give you get back and in this case I hope you never get back what you just gave out.
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Oct 18, 2010 @ 00:08:45
@sarky Said

You sound like the most caring person in the world...
Someone we all need in our lives at times of deep distress...
A really good mate...NOT!

@lil_bear01 Said

I bet you're a Psychologist or at the least a counselor right?

Hope that no one in your life that you love more than anything ever decides to tell you they're thinking of suicide and you tell them to do it and you'll call them in the morning to the sound of a 'dial tone', maybe and I surely hope this NEVER happens to you then you will see that every cry of suicide is a cry for help and if you don't have the empathy nor the compassion to at 'least' direct them to someone who does care enough to at least listen and not dismiss them.

Your comment to that lady was totally uncalled for because you have not lived her life and know nothing about any detail of her life.

Be thankful that yours is so much better than hers that you have never done anything so abhorrent that another can never claim you are selfish.

Getting educated on this topic would prove to be very useful to a majority of the time because in my opinion if you don't care enough to educate yourself about this, then thank god you've never been in that dark place yourselves and I hope you never are because sometimes life is a b**** and what you give you get back and in this case I hope you never get back what you just gave out.

Well, you say not too judge when you haven't walked in a persons shoes, yet that is just what you did to me, intelligent

Not a counsellor, i'm a person who grew up in a home with a father who threatened to kill himself everytime I tried to tell someone about the horrific things he was doing to me.

That traumatised me more than any of the torture he could put me through physically.

A parent has absolutely no right to put their child in that position, ever, under any circumstances.
A child is NEVER responsible for the way a parent feels, EVER.

It wasn't judgement, it was fact.

I then went on to marry a man who emotionally abused me and threatened to kill himself each time I tried to act to protect our children from him.

I am a compassionate person, but I refuse to be a gosh darned door mat to some selfish f*** who thinks it is ok to manipulate others.

I don't care whether you agree or not, abuse me all you like.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs