Random

Some things that have been on my mind about Twilight

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#1New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 14:45:47
So, I'll admit it. I was completely obsessed with the Harry Potter series. I would buy a 600-page book and would not eat sleep or drink for two straight days until the book was read cover to cover (not exaggerating). So two days and 600 pages later I would lie on my bed and take two aspirin for the hunger headache that would eventually ensue, take a long nap to catch up on some sleep and then eat a light meal whenever i woke up. It was so bad that I'd literally feign illness so that I wouldn't have to go to school and would have more time to read. Every time I finished a book I'd be depressed for at least a week. Every time another book came out I'd beg and plead and clean the house extra nice so that my mom would buy it for me. She wouldn't do it, of course, so I'd just put my name down on the waiting list at my local library and patiently wait for the copies to come in. It was a pitiful existence and part of the reason why my social skills are so meager. I spent seven years inside a book. It was an awesome book, but still. It was a book. And I'd be willing to bet that there are lot more kids out there who can relate, whether they found their escape in the Harry Potter series or in the World of Warcraft or in their favorite anime series or an internet forum (ahem), or what have you...

I see the Twilight saga as no different. True, it may be entertaining and fun to read as was the Harry Potter series but the obsession I've noticed in young teen girls who wait desperately for the next book and scream with excitement whenever they spot Edward Cullen on the big screen has amounted to a rather unhealthy extreme. It's also important to note that most of the lessons and subliminal suggestions in the Twilight saga are things that young girls should really not be exposed to. For example, Bella puts herself in constant danger of death just to be able to be close to Edward. She devaluates herself constantly, amounting in a suicide attempt later on in the book just so that she can see Edward in her mind telling her not to do it. She puts herself underneath him and behaves as though her life is of no importance and no value. Any girl can relate. We've all met that guy that we thought was just so unbelievably perfect that we didn't deserve him. If only he would look our way, if only he would feel the same, blah blah blah. Well, Edward did look Bella's way and now she can't think of anything else but him. And she's willing to die so that she won't lose him. Maybe I'm being a bit too pedantic, but I see a dangerous message hidden between the covers of that amazing love story. True, Edward would never hurt Bella because he loves her and what-not, but she has given him the power, the opportunity and the tempation to do so, just so that she can be close to him. That's a pretty serious message to be sending out to little girls. Most people don't really think about those things, and I'm sure even the author herself doesn't see it or else she wouldn't be promoting the message. But it feeds just that. It feeds a girl's insecurities that she's not important enough to be loved because she's just a normal, common, clumsy girl. And when she does find 'love' (which every girl eventually does find, even if it's not in an Edward Cullen), she will do anything to keep it. The story suggests that it's commendable and romantic to do anything for love but the reality of the matter is that not every man is Edward Cullen. In the real world, to put yourself in the position that Bella has put herself in will result in an abusive relationship, and that's the message that this generation of teen girls has dived head-long into. Romanticizing the dangerous. And that would be fine for a grown woman to read. She is already aware of the realities and dangers a woman's heart faces in the real world. But little girls find this ridiculously false image of what love should be and cling to it for dear life.

Now couple that with the obsession of the latest fad, sort of like the obsession I had with Harry Potter and tell me you don't see the same dangers I see. They are subtle ones, of course. But no less important.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 14:54:15
I've not read Twighlight, the story sounds dumb.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 14:57:59
@SparklyKatie Said

I've not read Twighlight, the story sounds dumb.

I've read it, the story is dumb! And I can't believe so many people are obsessed with the series! The writing isn't even that good, the story is boring and takes about 3 books longer to conclude than it ever should have lol. I only read it to see what the fuss was about and I can confidently say that anyone who thinks Twilight is actually a well written, interesting series really needs their head examining. And needs to read better books lol. I've probably just insulted several people on TFS, but I'm not that bothered
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 14:59:00
I've never read them either I prefer other vampire stories with strong female leads.
Or even Anne Rice vampires since they are

Miami, Florida
#5New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:03:35
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

I've read it, the story is dumb! And I can't believe so many people are obsessed with the series! The writing isn't even that good, the story is boring and takes about 3 books longer to conclude than it ever should have lol. I only read it to see what the fuss was about and I can confidently say that anyone who thinks Twilight is actually a well written, interesting series really needs their head examining. And needs to read better books lol. I've probably just insulted several people on TFS, but I'm not that bothered

I couldn't be bothered to read the books, I'll admit. I saw the second movie and sort of caught the drift though. But when you think about it, most of the twilight fans are young teen girls who can't be accused of ever coming accross a real piece of literature, and so whether the story was well-written or not is of no consequence to them, really.
Psycho_Squirrel On November 26, 2017
has gone nuts!

kalamazoo, Michigan
#6New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:03:57
I have something on my mind.... Twilight is Homo!!!!
"I Big Strong Vampire. I sparkle!"

Miami, Florida
#7New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:04:35
@Psycho_Squirrel Said

"I Big Strong Vampire. I sparkle!"

SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:06:15
has gone nuts!

kalamazoo, Michigan
#9New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:08:42

okay.... I'm going to pretend I'm Edward Cullin...

*Gay Voice* "Oh s***.... is that the sun f***!!!! I'm Having a Bad Sparkle Day..... f***!!!!!!!!"

Monk: Phil Collin Broke another Genesis!
That was Complently Random

Edward: well who cares, I'm going to f*** a 17 year old when I old enough to be he great great Grandpa!"

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:09:18
@rubylights Said

I couldn't be bothered to read the books, I'll admit. I saw the second movie and sort of caught the drift though. But when you think about it, most of the twilight fans are young teen girls who can't be accused of ever coming accross a real piece of literature, and so whether the story was well-written or not is of no consequence to them, really.

That's why I've said that the only people who like Twilight have no sense of good literature
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#11New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:11:23
Noone made pedo jokes when angel & Buffy got together (though what he was thinking is beyond me).
Or Stefan and Elaina on the Vampire Diaries
has gone nuts!

kalamazoo, Michigan
#12New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:13:24
@plebian_angel Said

Noone made pedo jokes when angel & Buffy got together (though what he was thinking is beyond me).

They don't Sparkle!

They Burn
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#13New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:16:42
What ever happened with proper vampire stories involving proper vampires?

Why the f*** does all these vampire stuff these days have to make them "good" and find some chick to fall in love with.

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:17:16
@plebian_angel Said

But they're much cooler Vampires. And much better looking than Robert Pattinson. And you forgot about Spike! And Damon!!!

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 14, 2010 @ 15:18:07
@Pete Said

What ever happened with proper vampire stories involving proper vampires?

Why the f*** does all these vampire stuff these days have to make them "good" and find some chick to fall in love with.

They're trying to make Goth mainstream. And stuff moral values down our throats
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs