Writing

Some one help... I'm stuck.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
BlueSaxman On August 12, 2012

Tucson, Arizona
#1New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:18:01
I'm writing my first novel, it is a fantasy novel about a little boy who has to learn to grow up and take on the responsibilities of a leader. I'm about a third of the way threw, and I can?t quite seem to get the story rolling again, it was going smooth until I got him out of a forest, and now I can?t seem to figure out what to do next, I feel that I should keep it interesting, and I have some things that he will eventually do, but I can?t seem to move the story to those points without a lot of uninteresting stuff. So if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks... Oh and here's where he is now, he just left an inn, and is traviling to a city, I dont know what to put in to make the trip there exciting. after that I think I'll be able to move it alaong just fine. So anyway Thanks for any help I can get.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#2New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:23:06
Writers Block, leave it for a while then go back to it. Don't force it let it come naturally.

Tucson, Arizona
#3New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:25:47
@lilbear Said
Writers Block, leave it for a while then go back to it. Don't force it let it come naturally.

Ya, but its been almost a year...
jigsaw_monte On July 23, 2021

myspace toplists,
#4New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:26:12
then sleep on it buddy
jack08 On December 09, 2012

Adelaide, Australia
#5New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:27:13
fantasy right?
a porthole in the forest.
evil in the forest.
fire.
flood.
a hidden cave.
finding a lost city or village.

good luck
skipslocum On October 27, 2008

Phoenix, Arizona
#6New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:28:43
introduce a surprise that sidetracks his progress and what he learns comes in handy later on in the story.
angelstar529 On November 08, 2012

Hancock, Iowa
#7New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:29:09
There are several different ways to approach this - I dunno if you want help from a novelist who has never been able to finish a book at hand yet without having major writers block about 200 pages in but I will give you some stuff to think about.

A) Does there NEED to be info about the trip between the inn and the city? Is it a good place to maybe either have a chapter break or split the book into Part One and Part Two? Easy way to get past a boring part of the book.

B) What might seem uninteresting while you are writing it could in fact make or break the story in the long run. Is it a time to get to know the character? Maybe its a time to introduce some other characters into the story?

C) What could possibly happen in this fantasy novel on the way to the city? ( I would give you ideas but this is your book and unless you are willing to give me a cut of the profits HA HA HA you need to create it on your own - you will feel better about it when you are finished if it is your own)

D) Have you been writing straight for a while? Taking any breaks away, even half a day or so? Distancing yourself from a troublesome spot while writing can help. Or just try playing some music (i loooove music when I am writing, not many do) or taking yourself to a place you find inspiring and try writing once you are there.

Just some random thoughts. Hope it helps.

Adelaide, Australia
#8New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:30:23
is it an adult or childs novel?

Tucson, Arizona
#9New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:34:31
@jack08 Said
is it an adult or childs novel?

Well I'm hoping it will be a novle that all can injoy, like 'The Hobbit' origanly intended for children, but everyone likes it... Or atleast everyone I'v ever talked to likes it.
waally On June 03, 2013

Palmerston North, New Zealand
#10New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:38:57
i reckon if yew try to force yewrself to be interesting then its just not going to work.
take a break
and then yew feel like writing, just go for it. it shouldnt be thoroughly thought about.
well thats just my opinion on it

goodluck!

Adelaide, Australia
#11New Post! Jul 08, 2008 @ 07:41:58
he gets captured by something in the forest and is held captive for say a year,he has to endure enormous hardship and when he finally escapes things are not how he left them,his plans will have to change due to his time away.

Tucson, Arizona
#12New Post! Jul 10, 2008 @ 00:16:35
Thanks all of you, for your tips and stuff, thismorning I finaly broke my writers block, its still moving slow, but I'v got some plans for what to do now, is going to be sweet. Umm, also sorry to lilbear, I didnt meen to sound snapish. And thanks again everyone
ladypenelope On February 09, 2009

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 15, 2008 @ 22:18:00
Sleep on it and dream the next bit!
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#14New Post! Jul 15, 2008 @ 22:26:34
If he's just come out of the forest, put some clothes on him, and bring him to town! [All executed by a little old lady from the farmhouse across the road.] Once in town, he's wisked past a 7-11, and the Pakastani clerk inside recognizes him from a picture on the back of a milk-carton...
britneylulu On October 04, 2008

Deleted

Anaheim,
#15New Post! Aug 21, 2008 @ 17:23:40
We think that authors normally write from the own experience: Faulkner Mississippi, d***ens London, Tolsoy Russia etc. If we wanted to write a story about a forest we would live in a forest, read books about life in a forest, or interview people who had done either. Good luck.

Edit: Walden by Henry David Thoreau is an example of living in a forest and writing about it. In one chapter, which we think is rather clever, he chases a loon around the lake. In another more famous chapter the describes the ants. We don't know if he could have written about it unless he had actually done it.

For a final bit of trivia, the loon chapter is commemorated on the back of the Minnesota quater.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs