Some of the health benefits of milk

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#1New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 14:37:16
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/animal-product/health-benefits-of-milk.html
It certainly looks like the benefits outweigh the detractions.
Yes, I have already heard all of the arguments about how the cows suffer and we are taking food from their young, so why bring it up?(preemptive strike, there).
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#2New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 14:40:25
@deal1 Said

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/animal-product/health-benefits-of-milk.html
Yes, I have already heard all of the arguments about how the cows suffer and we are taking food from their young, so why bring it up?(preemptive strike, there).

Ummm...the more you milk a cow, the more milk it produces. No problem there.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:00:54
@deal1 Said

Putting aside the moral arguments against stealing calf food, as you insist, we need to recognise that we are mammals and mammals do not drink milk after they are weaned.

Humans seem to want a situation in which they are never weaned, and this leads to intolerance problems: "Recent evidence indicates that up to 75% of the world?s population is Lactose Intolerant to some extent. That is, three quarters (?) of all people have difficulty digesting lactose."

https://www.foodintol.com/dairy.asp

In some places, as many as 90+% of populations are intolerant to milk.

rogY
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:01:36
@Grasshopper Said

Ummm...the more you milk a cow, the more milk it produces. No problem there.

I'm assuming you are joking since we know that this is not true.

rogY
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#5New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:27:45
@rogy Said

Putting aside the moral arguments against stealing calf food, as you insist, we need to recognise that we are mammals and mammals do not drink milk after they are weaned.

Humans seem to want a situation in which they are never weaned, and this leads to intolerance problems: "Recent evidence indicates that up to 75% of the world?s population is Lactose Intolerant to some extent. That is, three quarters (?) of all people have difficulty digesting lactose."

rogY

You forget though the massive amounts of evidence of calcium deficiency in humans who do not drink enough milk. Osteoporosis being the leading disease.

As far as lactose intolerance goes, this is usually something that comes from birth and happens no matter what milk is drunk.
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#6New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 16:51:55
I am lactose intolerant so any type of milk product is a very painful product to my gastronomic system.

Can't eat yogurt, cheese, ice cream, nor drink milk..

And it is a fact, not made up because if it wasn't affecting my digestive system so bad I would be eating every single product with milk in it.

Especially, milk chocolate covered almonds and peanuts..
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 17:33:01
@rogy Said

rogY

That's a little bit backward, although not incorrect. The ability to tolerate lactose is a gene mutation. So those cultures who never started drinking milk (back whenever someone decided it would be a good idea) never developed this mutation. To be lactose intolerant is natural.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:03:37
@squirt_aka_casey Said

You forget though the massive amounts of evidence of calcium deficiency in humans who do not drink enough milk. Osteoporosis being the leading disease.

As far as lactose intolerance goes, this is usually something that comes from birth and happens no matter what milk is drunk.

Prepare to have a sacred myth debunked: https://thebabybond.com/MilkingYourBones.html

"Bone Density: The Big Dairy Fallacy

"While the National Osteoporosis Foundation tells us we need more calcium to build stronger bones, especially from cow's milk, the scientific evidence does not support this."

Please note, this is not an animal advocacy site.

This one is: https://www.dumpdairy.com/osteo.asp

The truth - mammals are weaned after a few months.

rogY
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:14:02
'Stealing Calf Food', you know we don't take the milk from the calves right? They still get fed and given all the nutrients they need.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:23:17
Cow milk isn't really something that humans should be choosing to drink for its health benefits.

I drink it occasionally because it's tasty - not because it's good for me.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#11New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:24:56
"Milk deficiency can cause severe anemia, osteoporosis and other related illnesses. Milk consumption is very essential to maintain good health and doing normal activities."

"Milk deficiency"?? Really? As if "cow milk" is itself a vital human nutrient.

And it's "essential"? Really. It's actually essential to drink cow milk in order to maintain good health?

This is a poorly written article that contains flat-out lies. You should ignore it completely.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#12New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:25:04
@rogy Said

rogY

We're talking about an animal that is harvested on the daily basis for its products. Whether people are lactose intolerant or not, this will continue to happen. I tend to agree with you on some of your arguments, but it's also come to my attention that some of your arguments are a bit on the extreme side. I understand what you're trying to do and I commend it, however, it's best to find a good balance in between.

It's been proven that milk is a great source of calcium and other vital minerals of the body, as well as meat. Even after humans are weaned, we drink milk because it's healthy and tasty.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:29:05
@jmo Said

'Stealing Calf Food', you know we don't take the milk from the calves right? They still get fed and given all the nutrients they need.

Actually, a large number of them just get killed because they're useless.

Male dairy cattle aren't very good milk producers.

The veal they produce is basically a by-product of the milk production.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:42:12
Milk does not prevent osteoporosis. A study a few years ago found that those who drank milk were actually 1% more likely to break their bones than those who drank none. And while 1% is not a lot, it's certainly not a reduction in risk.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 18:43:11
@jonnythan Said

Actually, a large number of them just get killed because they're useless.

Male dairy cattle aren't very good milk producers.

The veal they produce is basically a by-product of the milk production.

There is a difference between being killed and them dying because they starve due to us taking 'their' milk.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs