Some Philosophers are hard to understand...on Purpose

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:22:38
I like to read and disscuss philosophy or I should say that I like to have a phlosophiocal discussion about different ideas and I like to read philosophers old and new from time to time, but I have a lot of trouble understanding what the concept is with some of them.

I have mentioned this here a couple of times.

I find that I get hung up on the languge of philosophy and have to work around that to get to the concept which is difficult (at times) enough to understand.

Many trained philosophers I have spoken with say that it is necessary, like many professions have specific languge to be more spacific at what is being talked about, but I sometimes wonder if this is not on purpose.

As example, when I try and read James, or Nietzsche I begin to think that one they don't want the common folk to understand this and two, that if they make their ideas so complex along with complex laguage that it is hard to argue against their point.

I would like to cut through that "crap" and get to the ideas, ideas are what is important and the more poeple we have discussion ideas the more solutions there will be.

Maybe that is the reason why many people who I mention a philosophical point to roll their eyes and say " My head Hurts" Maybe by making the realm of philosophy for philosophers, that philosopers have isolated themselves. Maybe...
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:28:15
Personally i think philosophy is a pile of s***.. Its not i cant understand them.. its the fact the spend an hour a week in uni and get a degree for it?? it one of those subjects that are for people that just want to waste for 3years..
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:34:12
"Mr. Floen is a valuable contributor to our in-class discussions," Rosenthal said. "His tendency to question and challenge everything before him captures the very essence of philosophy itself."

Rosenthal added: "Having said that, I do wish he would occasionally do me the valued service of shutting his damn cake hole
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:34:16
@markfox01 Said
Personally i think philosophy is a pile of s***.. Its not i cant understand them.. its the fact the spend an hour a week in uni and get a degree for it?? it one of those subjects that are for people that just want to waste for 3years..

I think that you make a good point that Philosophy has become so academic that the rest of us have no use for it. However, I can and have read plato and think that even in our modern times that he has ideas that are worthy of study and discussion, that are not because people have such a bad taste for the subject of philosophy.
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#5New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:37:58
the salvador dali philosophy of cosmic orality (to eat the universe)

reduces everything to s***

sometimes good s***

i think he just liked to feel himself s***

to each his own

what if everyone was an account manager?
innit!

#6New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:39:26
@baker63 Said
I think that you make a good point that Philosophy has become so academic that the rest of us have no use for it. However, I can and have read plato and think that even in our modern times that he has ideas that are worthy of study and discussion, that are not because people have such a bad taste for the subject of philosophy.

Thats why Plato is famous.. because what he says makes sense... Name one guy today that makes sense and.. doesnt quote some one else.. Thats the word i was looking for "too academic"

But maybe because schools dont teach it at low level why i dont like it.. Or it should be a part of a Liture degree instead of a stand alone subject.. And the only way to study it as its self is do a Masters..
dujac On May 22, 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
#7New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:40:22
maybe if you could give up trying to control everything by understanding it

a new level of consciousness might emerge

yes, sometimes logic is in the mind of the logician

a sly business man uses philosphy to get new ideas

the root of philosopy is to love wisdom

there are many paths that lead to love
innit!

#8New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:40:49
@dujac Said
the salvador dali philosophy of cosmic orality (to eat the universe)

reduces everything to s***

sometimes good s***

i think he just liked to feel himself s***

to each his own

what if everyone was an account manager?

*shakes head*
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:41:04
It takes some training and practice to be able to understand hte language of many philosophers.

Contrary to popular belief, what they are doing is *extremely* precise. They follow very strict rules of logic, using ultra-precise and ultra-exact language, in an attempt to move from postulates or assumptions ("Cogito ergo sum" for instance) to conclusions.

It's very much akin to mathetmatical proofs. You start with basic postulates that are self-evident and use those postulates to logically deduce (and therefore prove) conclusions.
innit!

#10New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:42:22
@jonnythan Said
It takes some training and practice to be able to understand hte language of many philosophers.

Contrary to popular belief, what they are doing is *extremely* precise. They follow very strict rules of logic, using ultra-precise and ultra-exact language, in an attempt to move from postulates or assumptions ("Cogito ergo sum" for instance) to conclusions.

It's very much akin to mathetmatical proofs. You start with basic postulates that are self-evident and use those postulates to logically deduce (and therefore prove) conclusions.

Sounds like a philosophy in its own right..

#11New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:43:04
philosophy is a bit like examining your own s*** after a dump. its slightly interesting to you to everyone else its just a pile of s*** that will get flushed away before the next person uses the toilet
steven On September 10, 2008

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:46:03
@brainfarmer Said
philosophy is a bit like examining your own s*** after a dump. its slightly interesting to you to everyone else its just a pile of s*** that will get flushed away before the next person uses the toilet

Hmmmmmmm , Profound'ish, basic, but somewhat philosophical.

I'll give it Foive outa 264.
innit!

#13New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:48:12
@steven Said
Hmmmmmmm , Profound'ish, basic, but somewhat philosophical.

I'll give it Foive outa 264.

I thik it has a hint of Rasberries and a slant of cheddar... but it has a little kick..

6/10

#14New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:49:16
maybe ive got philosophy wrong but its just asking a series of rhetorical questions in an attempt to appear clever.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 15, 2006 @ 14:50:54
Socrates writing's made the most sense to me.....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs