AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#1New Post! Feb 28, 2009 @ 23:54:23
Soldier mom plans to report for duty with kids
https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29441874/

---Ugh, that little fine print sucks sometimes. Even though you serve your four years with honor, after your discharged, you're still eligible for another 4 years. I hope this lady gets out of it.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#2New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:03:08
So she already served 4 years, now they want her to possibly destroy her/their lives?....
talk about gratitude!

I hope she gets out of it too..it's really not fair at all.
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#3New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:08:18
woohoo a reply, i was starting to hear crickets
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#4New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:09:22
@loveis Said

So she already served 4 years, now they want her to possibly destroy her/their lives?....
talk about gratitude!

I hope she gets out of it too..it's really not fair at all.

An enlisted contract is really 8 years, 4 years active, 4 years inactive (i believe 4 or 2). The Army is having trouble filling spots so they drag the people who have time left on their contract back in instead of getting new recruits.
Spazzy On July 04, 2009

Deleted

, Australia
#5New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:17:41
@aceuvclubs Said

An enlisted contract is really 8 years, 4 years active, 4 years inactive. The Army is having trouble filling spots so they drag the people who have time left on their contract back in instead of getting new recruits.

Do you know if that includes those discharged due to injury (non-permanent) but could now be classified as fit for active duty ?
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#6New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:23:05
@Spazzy Said

Do you know if that includes those discharged due to injury (non-permanent) but could now be classified as fit for active duty ?

no i didn't, that sucks

In recent memory, the only time the Coast Guard did that with service members was right after 9/11...but it was a temporary thing and they aren't doing it now. Then again, we aren't sending people to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban so our recruiting isn't suffering
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#7New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:26:33
This dont make any sense, She was dischanged,and I thought Obama was going to bring troops home
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#8New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:27:16
@aceuvclubs Said

An enlisted contract is really 8 years, 4 years active, 4 years inactive. The Army is having trouble filling spots so they drag the people who have time left on their contract back in instead of getting new recruits.

I think the rules should be changed on that to exclude parents. It's just really cruel in my opinion, to come back and snatch a mother/or father from their children...she's already put in the 4 years; it should be sufficient.
Spazzy On July 04, 2009

Deleted

, Australia
#9New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:30:06
@aceuvclubs Said

no i didn't, that sucks

In recent memory, the only time the Coast Guard did that with service members was right after 9/11...but it was a temporary thing and they aren't doing it now. Then again, we aren't sending people to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban so our recruiting isn't suffering

I think you misread my post, I asked if you knew... not... Did you know

So does your response mean that it's unlikely the army will recall previously injured enlists if they're fit & still have time left on their contract ?
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#10New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:30:38
The upsetting part is the Army breaks its own contract using that "Stoploss" program. That program has been used to retain soldiers who's complete contract was up but the Army has been keeping them to serve out extended tours.
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#11New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 00:38:50
@aceuvclubs Said

The upsetting part is the Army breaks its own contract using that "Stoploss" program. That program has been used to retain soldiers who's complete contract was up but the Army has been keeping them to serve out extended tours.

"Do as we say, not as we do"
jonyfries On March 04, 2009

Lawrence, Kansas
#12New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 01:02:24
@aceuvclubs Said

To my understanding, as the article seemed to indicate, that it is part of the contract that for a period of time after a person has been discharged from the military they are still under contract and can be recalled by the military during that time.

Allowing parents to get out of that contract would serve to encourage people to quickly become parents if this is a possibility for them. Not exactly a healthy way to start a family... I can see the want ads "Need baby to not go to war, anyone will do."

Obama is drawing down the number of troops in Iraq, by Aug 2010 all combat troops will be out assuming the situation doesn't change on the ground. However, Obama is very significantly increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan. So plenty of troops are still needed.

It definitely is an unfortunate position for her to be in, however, she did sign on the dotted line.
KrazyKatz On April 09, 2009

On the road again., California
#13New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 01:21:48
She should leave the kids home!
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#14New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 01:38:58
@jonyfries Said

To my understanding, as the article seemed to indicate, that it is part of the contract that for a period of time after a person has been discharged from the military they are still under contract and can be recalled by the military during that time.

Allowing parents to get out of that contract would serve to encourage people to quickly become parents if this is a possibility for them. Not exactly a healthy way to start a family... I can see the want ads "Need baby to not go to war, anyone will do."

Obama is drawing down the number of troops in Iraq, by Aug 2010 all combat troops will be out assuming the situation doesn't change on the ground. However, Obama is very significantly increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan. So plenty of troops are still needed.

It definitely is an unfortunate position for her to be in, however, she did sign on the dotted line.

so the Army can break their own contract but soldiers can't legally appeal their own? Because stop loss is a way to "get around" the original contract.
KrazyKatz On April 09, 2009

On the road again., California
#15New Post! Mar 01, 2009 @ 01:41:38
Seems like when I was in the guts had a saying, guess it is so very true.
When you are *in* you don't lose your rights.
The service keeps them for you.
Well, you guys get a pay raise and better bennies now anyway.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs