Soft Paws for Cats

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#1New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 11:19:33
I have a question for other posters. My vet told us about a product called "Soft Paws". They're little sleeves that you glue onto a cat's claws to prevent them from ruining furniture. Do they work? What are your experiences with them?

We don't want to have our 4 y.o. cat front-declawed, but we just got new wicker furniture and she's using it for a scratching post!!! We have other scratching posts for her, but nooooooooooooooo....she wants the new, expensive stuff!

We will NOT declaw, no matter what. We were told of another product that's like stickey-tape for the ends of furniture that keeps a cat off, but I don't know what it's called!
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#2New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 11:40:38
I've never tried them, but I've been curious too. I suppose it couldn't hurt.

Try a couple of different methods like;

Catnip spary/mist on the scratching posts, praise heavily when they use them.

Spraying perfume (or a strong mint or citrus spray) on the furniture that isn't supposed to be used.

Using double stick tape would be good too

Buy a spray bottle and squirt them when they scratch

Wrap some foil around them (cats dont like the sound)
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#3New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 12:29:45
maybe this will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjVjsmTOOUo
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#4New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:49:11
Thanks, Max!!!

Thanks, Kristy!!
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#5New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:51:32
@BozieFozie Said

Thanks, Max!!!

welcome
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#6New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:04:11
I wouldn't do that to an animal personally.

Don't cats and dogs use their feet to feel their way around.Covering them could freak them out,or so I would've thought.
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#7New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:06:04
Umm, how is it supposed to catch and kill mice if it's claws do no damage?
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:26:21
@KulliK357 Said

Umm, how is it supposed to catch and kill mice if it's claws do no damage?

Well, Kulli, she's an indoor cat, just goes outside on our screened-in lanai. We have no mice here!!!

But the comment about how she may try to chew them off because they bother her is appreciated. We just don't know what to do, save close the bedroom doors when we're not home! She gets chastised when we are home....I don't believe in harming animals in any way so I was hoping someone who had them on their cats could comment. So far the suggestions and vid are MUCH APPRECIATED!!! BTW, all other cats I have owned have been front de-clawed, so Lilli is the first fully clawed cat we've owned. The others have been from shelters where they were declawed before we adopted them....I strongly DO NOT believe in declawing an animal. Also, these "sleeves" last about 4-6 weeks then fall off, so if they don't work, they'll be gone eventually. Then it's on to some of the other suggestions!!!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#9New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:11:26
@BozieFozie Said

Well, Kulli, she's an indoor cat, just goes outside on our screened-in lanai. We have no mice here!!!

But the comment about how she may try to chew them off because they bother her is appreciated. We just don't know what to do, save close the bedroom doors when we're not home! She gets chastised when we are home....I don't believe in harming animals in any way so I was hoping someone who had them on their cats could comment. So far the suggestions and vid are MUCH APPRECIATED!!! BTW, all other cats I have owned have been front de-clawed, so Lilli is the first fully clawed cat we've owned. The others have been from shelters where they were declawed before we adopted them....I strongly DO NOT believe in declawing an animal. Also, these "sleeves" last about 4-6 weeks then fall off, so if they don't work, they'll be gone eventually. Then it's on to some of the other suggestions!!!

We got lucky, or maybe it's just coincidence..but our kitty's only scratch our dining room chairs, never our favorite chairs that we sit on to watch television. The dining room chairs however, we don't really care about, (they are old) so it works out.

Grasshopper gave a good suggestion in another thread. She said whenever you see the cat scratching what you don't want her to scratch, remove her immediatly, and take her to what you do want her to scratch, and press her claws into it, and scratch.
She hopefully, after enough repetitions, will get the message.
Good luck; and kudos to you for never declawing.
(oh, and those glue on things, I'd imagine the cat would just chew off; unless you used a strong glue, in which case, I'd imagine that could lead to harming her paws. )
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:14:01
@sTreetAngeL Said

We got lucky, or maybe it's just coincidence..but our kitty's only scratch our dining room chairs, never our favorite chairs that we sit on to watch television. The dining room chairs however, we don't really care about, (they are old) so it works out.

Grasshopper gave a good suggestion in another thread. She said whenever you see the cat scratching what you don't want her to scratch, remove her immediatly, and take her to what you do want her to scratch, and press her claws into it, and scratch.
She hopefully, after enough repetitions, will get the message.
Good luck; and kudos to you for never declawing.
(oh, and those glue on things, I'd imagine the cat would just chew off; unless you used a strong glue, in which case, I'd imagine that could lead to harming her paws. )

Thanks, Street. We did talk to our vet about them, she said some people have success and some not. The cats ARE able to get them off, the glue is NON-TOXIC and will not harm the cat in the least. So the worst thing that could happen is that we lose $20 and have to start from square one! Right now we keep the bedroom doors closed.....she's already destroyed some of our leather living room furniture! Oh well............that's what throws are for!!!!!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:18:22
didn't Kristy make this thread a couple of weeks ago?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:20:01
https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/Claw-covers-/425371 is this the same thing? I dunno.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#13New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:22:18
@treebee Said

didn't Kristy make this thread a couple of weeks ago?

Every thread on this forum, I'd be willing to bet, has at some point, been made over and over again.
Nothing is new under the sun.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:23:16
@sTreetAngeL Said

Every thread on this forum, I'd be willing to bet, has at some point, been made over and over again.
Nothing is new under the sun.

for sure, just i remember it and it might not be the same product, my curiosity more than anything.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 20:24:59
@Wellard Said

I wouldn't do that to an animal personally.

Don't cats and dogs use their feet to feel their way around.Covering them could freak them out,or so I would've thought.

It covers the cats claws. https://www.safepetproducts.com/soft-claws.html?gclid=CPr9kYqj5aYCFQNrKgodfxKi2Q

They come in clear or different colours.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs