Social Situations you Hate

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 17:46:44
What are the awkward social situations you hate the most?

One I hate happened a few weeks ago at uni. I was walking behind someone through a corridor and he held the door open for me. I said 'Thanks' and kept going, we got to another door, again I said 'thanks' and kept going. Then we got to another door and I remembered there were about four more doors that I would most likely be following him through.

Do I say 'thanks' every time or is that weird? But maybe it's rude to suddenly stop thanking him.

In the end I changed what I said each time to 'Thank you', then 'Cheers', then 'Ta' etc just to make it sound less repetitive.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 17:48:48
Most of them, to be honest.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#3New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 17:56:28
I hate all social situations. Having to mingle with strangers, having people, especially strangers, standing or lurking behind me. All the freaking hand shaking. Having to talk to people I have nothing at all in common with. Being among guys who only talk about sports or the college they attended. Having no drinks served but wine or champaign or some similar pussy drink. Having to dress up in clothes other than jeans, flannel shirts.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#4New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 17:59:21
Another one I hate is the need some people have to talk to you in the lift.

I mean you could stand next to the same person anywhere else and you wouldn't have to talk to them, but they walk into a lift that you are on and bang, they decide they need to talk to you.

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 18:00:49
I hate small talk. It's at its worst when you're getting your hair cut. I don't care about your day, your annoying kids or what you're doing for christmas, just shut up and cut my hair.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#6New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 18:05:20
@sister_of_mercy Said

I hate small talk. It's at its worst when you're getting your hair cut. I don't care about your day, your annoying kids or what you're doing for christmas, just shut up and cut my hair.

I used to hate that until I started getting the same hairdresser so now sort of feel like I know her a bit.
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#7New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 18:37:59
@sister_of_mercy Said

I hate that too. But she's my sister so I have to feign interest until she's done or she'll "accidentally" cut my ear.

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 18:44:55
@thequietman Said

I hate that too. But she's my sister so I have to feign interest until she's done or she'll "accidentally" cut my ear.

Yeah wise choice. I made that mistake once and my sister burned me with some hair straighteners, still have the scar
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 19:25:33
Hahaha I hate the door thing too! We have 4 doors from the main entrance to the office at work, so if you arrive just after someone else you always get that awkwardness.
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#10New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 19:29:47
I think what I hate the most is the well-known Awkward Silence followed by someone saying "well this is awkward". THAT'S NOT GUNNA MAKE IT LESS AWKWARD NOW IS IT?!
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 19:39:44
@sister_of_mercy Said

This. Although I have to say I don''t mind them talking but I hate that I have to reply. My mind goes blank if i'm forced to say something.

I hate meeting family and friends of a new boyfriend for the first few times. I consider his friends mine too now but I'm so keen to get on with his family and for them to like me that I've only started to relax properly in the last few months. It's not just cos I'm a people pleaser and they are all lovely but it's cos they are so important to him it's important to me that they don't hate me so glad don't have to go through all that again!

Going to a friends birthday where I don't know hardly anyone. It's ok when I've had a couple of drinks but before that - mindnumbling shy and awkward.

It's the same when I join a new club or social group and don't know anyone & don't usually have alcohol to help
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 19:48:51
@jmo Said

What are the awkward social situations you hate the most?

One I hate happened a few weeks ago at uni. I was walking behind someone through a corridor and he held the door open for me. I said 'Thanks' and kept going, we got to another door, again I said 'thanks' and kept going. Then we got to another door and I remembered there were about four more doors that I would most likely be following him through.

Do I say 'thanks' every time or is that weird? But maybe it's rude to suddenly stop thanking him.

In the end I changed what I said each time to 'Thank you', then 'Cheers', then 'Ta' etc just to make it sound less repetitive.

@x_Laura_x Said

Hahaha I hate the door thing too! We have 4 doors from the main entrance to the office at work, so if you arrive just after someone else you always get that awkwardness.

If you're carrying something, like books/papers and stuff..accidentially on purpose drop them, and then take your time picking them back up again, or make like you're answering your phone; giving the person a good head start from you so they aren't in the position to hold the door for you.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#13New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 20:40:18
Large crowds. I do not like large crowds. Like concerts, big parties, fairs etc.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#14New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 21:00:49
A person who sneezes multiple times. They sneeze once and you say bless you. A minute later, they sneeze again, and you say bless you, then a they do again, and you're not sure if you should continue or stop.

I know one person that no matter what sneezes seven times in a row.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#15New Post! Apr 09, 2012 @ 21:03:24
Small talk, of any kind. That is all.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs