Society & Lifestyles

Social Media like Facebook is negative

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
sperod3481 On July 24, 2015

Potomac, Virginia
#1New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 03:32:45
Hello everybody, I am discussing the reasons why I believe Social Media is negative.

1. I believe that social media creates an invasion of privacy because anybody can flip through your pictures and search your name. Measures have to be taken in the privacy settings which is still not enough.

2.The fact that some people can locate where you are can be dangerous because some people do not know how to turn the feature off and there are some people who actually gives away their location for everybody to see. All it takes is the wrong person to find you and you are history.

3. Lack of physical connection with relationships with people is also in the air. More and more people are looking at their devices looking at social media now than actually speaking to each other.

4. Your love life is also in jeopardy because people can see who you are with and if you give them a chance to figure out the name of your significant other, then that person will message your significant other in order to steal that special person from you.

5.Overall there are people who are addicted to social media that they are getting unhealthy because of lack of exercise.

Thank you for reading and please give me constructive feedback.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:02:35
Meh, social media had some downsides. From what you listed though it's mostly operator error.
Can't blame the system for users mistakes.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:29:40
@sperod3481 Said

Hello everybody, I am discussing the reasons why I believe Social Media is negative.

1. I believe that social media creates an invasion of privacy because anybody can flip through your pictures and search your name. Measures have to be taken in the privacy settings which is still not enough.

2.The fact that some people can locate where you are can be dangerous because some people do not know how to turn the feature off and there are some people who actually gives away their location for everybody to see. All it takes is the wrong person to find you and you are history.

3. Lack of physical connection with relationships with people is also in the air. More and more people are looking at their devices looking at social media now than actually speaking to each other.

4. Your love life is also in jeopardy because people can see who you are with and if you give them a chance to figure out the name of your significant other, then that person will message your significant other in order to steal that special person from you.

5.Overall there are people who are addicted to social media that they are getting unhealthy because of lack of exercise.

I agree with most of what you posted here.
I have family members that IMO post way to much info about themselves and their life on a popular social network site . when I mention this to them they don't seem to understand my concern .
The part about a persons love life and some stranger learning the name of a "significant other" messaging that SO and actually stealing them away from the relationship . My thoughts on that is " if all it takes is a few messages from a total stranger to break up a 'love life' then that 'love life' already had some pretty significant issues / problems .
I agree with you that there is a lot of people who aren't living healthy lifestyles because they spend most of their free time online, but that not a new thing . Before internet it was TV and/ or video games that people would spend their free time with .
All you can do about any of what you are taking issue with about Social Media sites is make sure your own household doesn't spend all their free time online , make them turn off the PC and go do something else .

I don't say much any more to the family members who IMO post to much info online . They are grown with kids and live in a different state we see each other once or twice a year . I'd rather enjoy our time together visiting , Once in a while one of them will post something so unimportant in such a way that they shouls be should embarrassed . And I'll mess with them about how silly it sounds when they be crowing about how proud they are of that green chili chicken casserole they posted a picture of << true story<<

BTW welcome to TFS.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#4New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:30:38
Like Discord said, this is mostly errors and failures on the part of people who use social media. Not the fault of Facebook if people are morons.
FinchMeister On December 08, 2018
R8UpLittleTramps@ss

ReganNormanMinionluv,
#5New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 04:36:28
Do not post personal information.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#6New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 05:04:17
Hey! but my green chile chicken enchiladas brings all the boys to the yard.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#7New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 05:15:40
I agree to a fair extent with points one and two. Points 3 and 5 are IMO issues to do with the individual and not social media. Generally speaking social media is neither good nor bad. It is simply a tool. It's how individuals use it that is good or bad.

As for point 4. If someone else can break up your relationship or 'steal' your partner away from you then they were never yours in the first place.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#8New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 05:17:59
@DiscordTiger Said

Fair dinkum, it dead set amazes me some of the stuff people post, and yes a disturbing number of people post pictures of things like meals they are about to eat. There are even some places now who determine their menu based on what people will find most 'photogenic'! Unreal.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#9New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 06:40:31
For the record other than chocolate creations, I have not photographed food. Some of the chocolate was more like showpieces though, rather than regular food.

We did consider a "nursing home meal" Instagram feed, but that was more about how much the system sucked for $400 a day than actually wanting to take pictures of food. We ended up not posting any, but I got a few texted to me in the sense of look at this crap, can you bring me real food.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#10New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 07:44:15
Ok I was expecting the OP to be saying about people posting negative stuff. And my result was going to be delete negative people from your life (if only life was as simple as facebook, just block everybody who brings you down).

@sperod3481 Said

Two points:

A) Facebook is not compulsory. You dont like it, dont go on it.
B) Its upto you what you put on FB, look at yourself dont blame facebook for your own actions.

Quote:

All it takes is the wrong person, period. FB or no FB. See my points above.

Quote:

Well they will be single then.

Quote:

Again see my points above. You dont want people seeing your life, stop broadcasting it online. Personally I have my FB quite locked down. I only use it for access to one or two closed groups, due to decent security, people only get access by invite and recommendation. Keeps out the undesirables.

Quote:

Then they will have health issues. Their choice, their life. They made their bed now they can lay in it. Again see point A. If its how they want to live their life, leave them to it.

Quote:

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 08:20:24
@DiscordTiger Said

Okay, but don't get all pee pee hearted when I point and laugh at you and your picture of it posted on facebook . [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i45/5/12/14/tfs_a67a780f63.gif">
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#12New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 08:27:10
@white_swan53 Said

Okay, but don't get all pee pee hearted when I point and laugh at you and your picture of it posted on facebook . [smile]https://i.tfster.com/i45/5/12/14/tfs_a67a780f63.gif">

I don't have time to take pics. It gets devoured! Lol

But I know what you mean some people do post a lot of pics. That make me wonder about them.

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 08:57:56
One of my daughter in laws will take pics of the kids or my son with her cell phone and then later post a few on her FB.
Then the next time I talk to my son I would say something about doesn't he get embarassed or should'nt they be a bit more careful about the kids,,, and he wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.
So now if the pic is very personal I'll mention I wason FB today ,it's sort of our code for he needs to take a look . That way if she asks, he can say 'no mom didn't rat you out ' truthfully and they can discuss the pics ,instead of fight about her mother in law .
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 09:22:04
@white_swan53 Said

One of my daughter in laws will take pics of the kids or my son with her cell phone and then later post a few on her FB.
Then the next time I talk to my son I would say something about doesn't he get embarassed or should'nt they be a bit more careful about the kids,,, and he wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about.
So now if the pic is very personal I'll mention I wason FB today ,it's sort of our code for he needs to take a look . That way if she asks, he can say 'no mom didn't rat you out ' truthfully and they can discuss the pics ,instead of fight about her mother in law .

My mother in law is more likely to post photographs like that than I would. I don't have kids yet but I don't think i would be a fan of putting images into the public domain if the children were half dressed or if it could embarrass them in the future. I share lots of pictures on Facebook but most of them are of the dog! My wedding photos and lovely scenery of where I live are really all I would put up, the odd time there is some food there for some reason but nothing of a personal nature. I would go mad if something like that was posted without my knowledge or consent so I would not do it to someone else. My parents don't have the internet but anything from Christmas or a birthday or something which I think would be nice to share, I show them first asking their permission because I know they are not keen on some photos understandably (my mum has a knack of pulling the most awful faces without knowing bless her!)

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Jul 23, 2015 @ 14:00:47
@Sparklegirl Said

My mother in law is more likely to post photographs like that than I would. I don't have kids yet but I don't think i would be a fan of putting images into the public domain if the children were half dressed or if it could embarrass them in the future. I share lots of pictures on Facebook but most of them are of the dog! My wedding photos and lovely scenery of where I live are really all I would put up, the odd time there is some food there for some reason but nothing of a personal nature. I would go mad if something like that was posted without my knowledge or consent so I would not do it to someone else. My parents don't have the internet but anything from Christmas or a birthday or something which I think would be nice to share, I show them first asking their permission because I know they are not keen on some photos understandably (my mum has a knack of pulling the most awful faces without knowing bless her!)

During this past school year one of my nieces actually posted a pic of one of her daughters ,then a few days later she posted their new address they had just moved to. Then no joke just days after that ,she posted how bad she felt that her daughter had to walk to school. I blew up . I jumped on her like ugly on ape.
She got all pee pee hearted and tried defending herself with " But Auntie, I was just telling my good friend,I trust her ,we went to school together ." I told her to do a bit of math . She needed to add together the number of friends on her list on her good and trusted friends list , then to pick at random 5 people off of each of those lists go to those accounts and add those lists to her math. She had close to a thousand names ( she plays a lot of the games and when they do that some of those friend lists have several hundred names ) I reminded her that ,that was just a drop In a bucket to the real number of people that now knows what her daughter looks like , where they live and that she walks to school . Then I ask her how many of those people were good and trusted friends. She called her work begged for a shift change so she can be there to walk with her daughter to and from school. It really sucks for her because she had to take the grave yard shift . But ya know what ? She figured out that to pass along info she should use the PM or email it to her friend . I also borassed her untill she deleted the three or four posts that started the a** chewing conversation we were haveing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs