The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

So this kid gets shot dead under the "self defense" law....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#16New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:31:00
@DorkySupergirl Said

No, its about the Trayvon Martin case. He was black, 17 and in a gated community. He left the home and walked to the store to buy skittles and iced tea. He was confronted by a man named George Zimmerman. Zimmerman shot and killed the kid and is now using that law as self defense.

Its being argued that it was racially motivated and not self defense. An arrest has not been made.

I haven't actually read about that. I know that's horrible, and now my ignorance is embarrassingly exposed.
xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#17New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:31:17
@chisa96 Said

Well, s***. I was just worried about the crazy lady watching out her window with the camera. Now she's fricken packing. That's truly terrifying.

Get it straight home girl, I'm the crazy lady that takes pictures of her freshly cut lawn cause she's bored and is packing!

xLETHAL_VIXENx On January 22, 2015
Logical Alien

Your pants, United States (gen
#18New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:32:00
@CXI Said

I've only dreamed about doing just that *sigh*

In TX (where I'm from), you can shoot anyone that passes your mailbox if you feel threatened.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#19New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:32:08
@alk1975 Said

The point though is that this guy seems to be getting off scott free for shooting a kid with a bag of skittles that he thought was a gun.

https://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2017852036_trayvonfacts28.html

I have often confused a bag of skittles or a bottle of iced tea with a gun.

Amazing what our minds choose for us to see, isn't it.
CXI On February 05, 2013

, Australia
#20New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:34:21
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

In TX (where I'm from), you can shoot anyone that passes your mailbox if you feel threatened.

Oh I know. I spent some time in Fort Worth and there's nothing I didn't like about the place. I love that law lol.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#21New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:34:40
@DorkySupergirl Said

I have often confused a bag of skittles or a bottle of iced tea with a gun.

Amazing what our minds choose for us to see, isn't it.

yes it is, but sad that our own misperceptions can cause someone to lose their life and all we have to say is that we were scared. So someone with a severe anxiety disorder can commit nearly any crime they choose and just claim the fear made them do it? Not fair.

, Canada
#22New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:35:02
@chisa96 Said

I haven't actually read about that. I know that's horrible, and now my ignorance is embarrassingly exposed.

No worries.

I think its a hate crime but think you should read links, as many as you can, to make up your own mind, I do not want to bias you to my opinion.

I do find CNN has told the most unbiased news about this case though so I would start there if you did want to read about it. They also have the uncensored 911 tape that is alleged to have a racial slur on it. I heard it and am certain he said a racial slur, some do not think that so who knows.
Thekatzmoue On April 27, 2012

San Diego, California
#23New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:35:09
Can you mail them a BOMB if you are feeling threatened?

, Canada
#24New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:37:55
@alk1975 Said

yes it is, but sad that our own misperceptions can cause someone to lose their life and all we have to say is that we were scared. So someone with a severe anxiety disorder can commit nearly any crime they choose and just claim the fear made them do it? Not fair.

I never thought of it that way. I thought of the aspect that you can't start a fight and under the Stand Your Ground Law, its not self defense but yeah, the wording of that law implies to me, as long as you think you are in fear of your life, go ahead. I do not see the reasonable person test in that law whatsoever and that is important.

You are right, it appears if I have anxiety, I can shoot someone when no one else might fear that situation, thus why reasonable person test should be applied to this law.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#25New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:38:37
@DorkySupergirl Said

No worries.

I think its a hate crime but think you should read links, as many as you can, to make up your own mind, I do not want to bias you to my opinion.

I do find CNN has told the most unbiased news about this case though so I would start there if you did want to read about it. They also have the uncensored 911 tape that is alleged to have a racial slur on it. I heard it and am certain he said a racial slur, some do not think that so who knows.

Yeah, I know that I should read about it as big as the story is, but lately it's just tiring-- another story about a dead kid surrounded by tons of controversy. No matter how this plays out it's always going to be controversial, and a kid is always going to be dead.

Bleugh. It's just sickening. I'm staying out of this one, even if it makes me ignorant.

, Canada
#26New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:38:41
@xLETHAL_VIXENx Said

We all know not to mess with Texas or its residents.

, Canada
#27New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:40:17
@chisa96 Said

Yeah, I know that I should read about it as big as the story is, but lately it's just tiring-- another story about a dead kid surrounded by tons of controversy. No matter how this plays out it's always going to be controversial, and a kid is always going to be dead.

Bleugh. It's just sickening. I'm staying out of this one, even if it makes me ignorant.

Oh Sorry, I thought you said you wanted to read about it so that is why I made those suggestions.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#28New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:44:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

Oh Sorry, I thought you said you wanted to read about it so that is why I made those suggestions.

Your thoughtfulness is always appreciated, and I'll probably read about it sometime; I'll pretty much have to.

I thought this was just some other random story though. And now that I know otherwise, I'm out.

, Canada
#29New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:52:14
@chisa96 Said

Your thoughtfulness is always appreciated, and I'll probably read about it sometime; I'll pretty much have to.

I thought this was just some other random story though. And now that I know otherwise, I'm out.

Thanks. I did not want to seem like, I am telling you to go and read this.

I know for myself, I enjoy watching the news and knowing what is going on around me but some stories really upset me and stay with me for days and I have to stay away.

I do take breaks from this story as well at times but follow it since I heard about it at the beginning and want to know what is going on and updates. But I do understand about not wanting to know or following things because its upsetting.

I get emotions of sadness over this and then complete anger.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#30New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 03:55:14
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thanks. I did not want to seem like, I am telling you to go and read this.

I know for myself, I enjoy watching the news and knowing what is going on around me but some stories really upset me and stay with me for days and I have to stay away.

I do take breaks from this story as well at times but follow it since I heard about it at the beginning and want to know what is going on and updates. But I do understand about not wanting to know or following things because its upsetting.

I get emotions of sadness over this and then complete anger.

It's not really that it's upsetting. It just feels so repetitive. It's just another crappy story for people to fight about.

/derail though. Debate on all you who are well-informed.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs