The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

So I take it that there are not too many people here on 'Planet Earth'...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 09:03:23
..that trust anyone to be able to think for themselves.

Kinda like "Oh no! Here, let me show you how to think...you might go and blow something up or put someone's eye out."

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 09:27:42
Ultimately I think the best demonstrations are offered through influence by the silent actions and deeds of others around us.

I mean to some extent I can see seeking counseling every once in awhile from a psychiatrist, that tends to address issues from a neutral and non biased stand point, or learning and practicing mind-clearing exercises focused more on expelling input rather than taking more in.

As for attempting to nail down trivial mannerisms I think people do so out of admiration for another and there are so many trivial concerns that you really can't address every single instance in one text as well as expect that text to have an answer for every exception.

Also as time moves forward, new problems come into existence causing new situations and or problems which people have to address and can not rely on just information recorded hundreds of years ago.

So instead of allowing one's self to become lazy in mind, and just parroting the words of others, would it not be better to learn how to exercise your mind by sitting somewhere quietly away from any external influence, reviewing your experiences and questions and learn the most comfortable way for one's self to seek the console of their self?
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#3New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 10:39:06
People tend to shy away from thinking for themselves ,along with taking responsibility for their actions and knowing right from wrong.
I once heard them reffered to as a generation of Blamers and the E generation ,that way when they F*ck up they can always say it's not their fault.
It's a sad sorry fact with this lot,but I shudder to think what their kids will grow up like that of course if they even know how to have children.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 11:34:47
@Demented Said

People tend to shy away from thinking for themselves ,along with taking responsibility for their actions and knowing right from wrong.
I once heard them reffered to as a generation of Blamers and the E generation ,that way when they F*ck up they can always say it's not their fault.
It's a sad sorry fact with this lot,but I shudder to think what their kids will grow up like that of course if they even know how to have children.

The problem is not that they don't know how to have children, much more that they don't know how not to, lol.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#5New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:01:43
@Electric_Banana Said

So instead of allowing one's self to become lazy in mind, and just parroting the words of others, would it not be better to learn how to exercise your mind by sitting somewhere quietly away from any external influence, reviewing your experiences and questions and learn the most comfortable way for one's self to seek the console of their self?

You'd think that's what people should do but once you start doing that, you being to realize that most people live in another world and that you're lonely in your thoughts and you being to think yourself crazy. It's amazing what social constructs restrain our lives! Break free from the shackles of conformity!
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:16:27
@Electric_Banana Said

Ultimately I think the best demonstrations are offered through influence by the silent actions and deeds of others around us.

I mean to some extent I can see seeking counseling every once in awhile from a psychiatrist, that tends to address issues from a neutral and non biased stand point, or learning and practicing mind-clearing exercises focused more on expelling input rather than taking more in.

As for attempting to nail down trivial mannerisms I think people do so out of admiration for another and there are so many trivial concerns that you really can't address every single instance in one text as well as expect that text to have an answer for every exception.

Also as time moves forward, new problems come into existence causing new situations and or problems which people have to address and can not rely on just information recorded hundreds of years ago.

i say.. this is rather good .. i try not to parrot the words of others and often come up with a different way of viewing issues and problems etc ... which, i'm sorry to say ,tends to upset people on occassion ... i had a friend who believed that we each had a life blueprint, but she also believed that with enough will we could alter or improve that blueprint ... i disagree , i believe we can't change our way of thinking to any significant degree .. but, i do believe that experiencing life over time can change the way we view the world and so alter the way we think and react ..

london, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 12:21:42
@galasTAray Said

You'd think that's what people should do but once you start doing that, you being to realize that most people live in another world and that you're lonely in your thoughts and you being to think yourself crazy. It's amazing what social constructs restrain our lives! Break free from the shackles of conformity!

that is so true .... in the past i have gone down the meditation route and though it is extremely rewarding in some ways , i found that i did definitely view the world differently , and it also changed me into a one level being ... i lost my personality and so risked losing that part of myself that had gained me friends .... it's ok if you function on that bland persona level already ... i think the tibetan monks can do it because they do it with others and so are on the same mental/ethereal level .

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 20:25:48
@offbeat Said

that is so true .... in the past i have gone down the meditation route and though it is extremely rewarding in some ways , i found that i did definitely view the world differently , and it also changed me into a one level being ... i lost my personality and so risked losing that part of myself that had gained me friends .... it's ok if you function on that bland persona level already ... i think the tibetan monks can do it because they do it with others and so are on the same mental/ethereal level .

Not so much meditation and becoming 'one' as LTP has done but more so just learning how to use similar meditation methods to over come depression, retrieve answers to problems yet still retain your persona.

london, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 18, 2011 @ 15:34:46
@Electric_Banana Said

Not so much meditation and becoming 'one' as LTP has done but more so just learning how to use similar meditation methods to over come depression, retrieve answers to problems yet still retain your persona.

that's a neat trick
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 18, 2011 @ 17:22:51
@Electric_Banana Said

..that trust anyone to be able to think for themselves.

Kinda like "Oh no! Here, let me show you how to think...you might go and blow something up or put someone's eye out."

That last sentence certainly describes some people's attitude, or lack of trust, however much more pertinent is the fact that very few people do truly think for themselves, nor do they believe that others do, presumably because they have never had the courage to do so. Most find it easier to take the word of others, as many of the replies to what I post on here prove.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs