The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Small Town Mouths, and the Damage They Do....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jacobs On January 31, 2011

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#1New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:48:00
People who live in large towns will not understand this.
They can do what they want -- but in the end, nobody knows who they are, and they don't care.

In a small town, if you do anything out of line, say anything out of line, mess in any way with the small-town "we have each others' back" culture -- you are immediately ostrasized.

How does it feel to live in a small town -- where everyone knows your business, where you are so inhibited as to what you say or do -- for fear that the mouths will start working against you -- when you have to live there?

I have a couple of friends who are "rebels". Who refuse to be beaten down -- but in the long run, the old gossips and complainers -- always win.

So are you in this situation? Do you understand what I am talking about?

When you go to apply for a job and you already know that so and so's sister worked with so and so's cousin who worked with infamous "Shirley" who says (everyone) is bad -- I mean how do you get out of it? How do you start anew in another town -- withouut all the labels and stereotyping of you?

Does anyone understand what I am talking about?

I came from a town in California where nobody cared what anyone else was doing. And I come to small-town Iowa and I am being beat to hell by these people.

What do you think?

Speak.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:50:22
I've moved to a city now, but "home" is a small town in the country just outside of London.

Back home, if you say something - expect everyone else to hear it too. Everyone stabs each other in the back. Gossip spreads like wildfire. Words are twisted and friendships are broken - I was a victim of that earlier in the year.

It's f***ing pathetic.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#3New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:52:05
I think, Who cares what they say? One thing that small towns got that big cities don't, is character!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:53:53
I think being at school can often have the same affect. If you do something stupid then before you know it everyone knows. It definitely makes you a bit paranoid and self conscious if you let it, but sooner or later it makes more sense to just forget about everyone else.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#5New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:58:29
@x_Laura_x Said

I've moved to a city now, but "home" is a small town in the country just outside of London.

Back home, if you say something - expect everyone else to hear it too. Everyone stabs each other in the back. Gossip spreads like wildfire. Words are twisted and friendships are broken - I was a victim of that earlier in the year.

It's f***ing pathetic.

It didn't take you long to say it -- but I can tell from your words, that you have been the victim of small town "evil".

I don't understand it. Why do people sit at home in their small little worlds -- and then go out there -- to tear everyone else down?

It puts you to a point where you don't trust the human race. And then you turn into a recluse.

I wish I could start a forum for people who understand this situation, where they only want to talk, and talk about the universe, or the wonderful things of nature, or whatever. Or they could just talk about the puzzling personalities of others they deal with.

God, there are so many others out there -- like me... but like me -- they will not trust, anymore.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#6New Post! Dec 02, 2010 @ 23:59:13
I grew up in a small town and have lived in small towns for all but a year out of my life (I feel a John Cougar Mellencamp song coming on...).

I've never been a victim of it, but I know what you mean. Small town reputations are like a personal cloud that follows you around everywhere. Add to that, that everybody knows everybody, so you have to be really careful where you step, lest it be on someone's toes.

I just moved to the town I'm in a little over 2 years ago and just about the whole town is related or closely acquainted one way or another.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#7New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 00:04:06
@sister_of_mercy Said

I think being at school can often have the same affect. If you do something stupid then before you know it everyone knows. It definitely makes you a bit paranoid and self conscious if you let it, but sooner or later it makes more sense to just forget about everyone else.

It's really freaking hard when you feel that you have done something "stupid" -- and you feel like you might be the "laughing-stock" and then you wonder -- where is compassion? Why do these people jump all over you at the first opportunity to make you feel even more stupid?

Why should we go through our lives, wondering what others think of us? But we have to admit -- when the whole town has turned on you -- because of a couple of evil mouths -- wow -- you just stand there and watch.

Why are human beings so insecure or sweet -- or downright evil? It seems there is no in-between.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 00:05:03
@jacobs Said

It didn't take you long to say it -- but I can tell from your words, that you have been the victim of small town "evil".

I don't understand it. Why do people sit at home in their small little worlds -- and then go out there -- to tear everyone else down?

It puts you to a point where you don't trust the human race. And then you turn into a recluse.

I wish I could start a forum for people who understand this situation, where they only want to talk, and talk about the universe, or the wonderful things of nature, or whatever. Or they could just talk about the puzzling personalities of others they deal with.

God, there are so many others out there -- like me... but like me -- they will not trust, anymore.

Yeah. Where I'm from there is nothing to do except go to the pub and gossip about people. I've been caught up in it myself, but now I just don't give a crap about other people's lives. I've got my own stuff to deal with these days.

Banned

knoxville, Iowa
#9New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 00:12:28
It seems like (living in a small town) that whenever there are new hires, there will always be people in the background who will say "Well so and so has smoked so much pot -- it's a wonder they could do that job at all".

Or they might say "Well that little ho - took so-and-so's husband -- so she's a "homewrecker".

Or they might say "So and so -- is lazy" -- and that reputation will follow that person around forever.

They might say "She or he -- is a druggy" so nobody gives them a chance, they are labeled from the gate.

It's like if you live in a small town -- you will be condemned by the small (OLD) minds that are out there -- and there is no escaping it.

I hate to be prejudicial -- but it IS the OLDER minds that do this to the younger generation coming up.

If anyone here understands what I am saying -- please speak up.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#10New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 00:14:26
Just a smalltown girl, livin' in a lonelly world!
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 00:15:00
@jacobs Said

They can do what they want -- but in the end, nobody knows who they are, and they don't care.

In a small town, if you do anything out of line, say anything out of line, mess in any way with the small-town "we have each others' back" culture -- you are immediately ostrasized.

How does it feel to live in a small town -- where everyone knows your business, where you are so inhibited as to what you say or do -- for fear that the mouths will start working against you -- when you have to live there?

I have a couple of friends who are "rebels". Who refuse to be beaten down -- but in the long run, the old gossips and complainers -- always win.

When you go to apply for a job and you already know that so and so's sister worked with so and so's cousin who worked with infamous "Shirley" who says (everyone) is bad -- I mean how do you get out of it? How do you start anew in another town -- withouut all the labels and stereotyping of you?

I came from a town in California where nobody cared what anyone else was doing. And I come to small-town Iowa and I am being beat to hell by these people.

What do you think?

Speak.

i know the feeling of having a chief of police take part in a huge lie of a news story distroying our daughters live.
not nice in a small town sometimes.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#12New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 01:34:43
@Grasshopper Said

Just a smalltown girl, livin' in a lonelly world!

hoppy On August 27, 2013

#13New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 01:52:48
I was born and raised in small town, midwest and I give a s*** less what people think or say about me. When they know it bothers you, they WILL bother you.
LL On April 01, 2013

, Texas
#14New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 03:34:17
I live in a tiny town in Texas. If you blink, you miss it. I moved here from a large city about 5 years ago. At first, I felt out of place. Went to work doing finance and interest for a car dealership and immediately started hearing about who was who. They knew who was cheating who, who was a drunk, who was abusive, etc. Seemed as they only concentrated on the bad traits of people. (except themselves of course) When I finally said," who are the good people around here? Or did I move to the wrong town?" They stopped all the gossip. It is hard to deal with but you just do the best you can to not turn out to be the same way.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Dec 03, 2010 @ 06:49:32
@jacobs Said

What do you think?

Speak.

What are even worse are the small town ears that ignorantly believe all that they hear without investigating themselves.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs