Society & Lifestyles

Skin Color Complex - A Widespread Socio-Psychological Condition

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 15:50:48
Seems to me to be the case. Here we have everybody wanting to get a tan, and we don't need to travel far to see salons selling either tanning sessions or many self-tanning lotions on shelves. Yes, even in San Diego you see these everywhere, despite the fact you can get a tan for free. Darker is more beautiful in our eyes.

And, having been in the Philippines for two weeks last month, I saw the same thing - only it was the opposite. Whiter is more beautiful there. Skin whitening creams are the norm with makeup for the ladies, and you see shelf after shelf of such products in grocery stores.

Why is it that nobody is satisfied with their natural color?
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#2New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 16:15:53
I love my pale skin. Darker skin looks lovely but when your skin is as fair as snow and you get tanned you just look pure stupid. I can't stand seeing girls who are pale stick fan tan all over their bodies and half of them don't have a clue how to get it even and it looks like they were going for a two toned look. I also don't get people who use sun beds. I just think it makes them look older and dry. People are just strange

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 16:28:26
I hear you. I too have paler skin, and have learned to love it. But when I was much younger, due to this social conditioning, I didn't like it and tried it all for a couple of years, regularly - tanning, beds, even the lotion (although it looked horrible back then). But, strangely enough, an article that I happened upon that described a celebrity and his beautiful pale skin convinced me that pale was nothing to be ashamed of, and I quit it all right then on the spot and have been happy with my skin color since then. Not to mention, it is much easier and less work to just accept it.

In my honest opinion, most people look better in their natural state rather than an attempt at something different, even if done well.
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#4New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 17:14:21
In my opinion if you don't tan natural, it's just not meant to be I don't tan and instead burn. I've seen some horrible looking people that have tanned so much they look like cook steak I don't understand how that look good to people.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 18:54:11
My dad has always called me milk bottle because I am so white but that is just me. I have never ever tried tanning lotion, sun beds or even blusher to alter how pale I am. To me, I am the way I was created and should be happy with that. If I worried about every aspect I would never sleep I embrace my paleness
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 19:09:02
You pale people freak me out with your whiteness.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 19:59:16
My skin tone has been referred to as 'fish belly white' by friends and family for as long as I can remember.When I was younger I hated it and would lay out in the sun covered with tanning lotion and all I ever got for my trouble was a rash on the more sensitive body parts and a lobster red sunburn on the rest. Those were the short term side affects the long term permanent ones are freckles or sun spots in places that had no blemishes before .
One day at one of those home makeup parties the woman selling the products told me my skin tone is called alabaster and how very lucky I am to come by it naturally, she went on to say how there are some women who spend untold amounts of money trying for lighter skin tone. I started using sun blocking lotion instead of sun tanning lotion from then on.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 20:06:51
@DorkySupergirl Said

You pale people freak me out with your whiteness.

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 20:07:02
@white_swan53 Said

My skin tone has been referred to as 'fish belly white' by friends and family for as long as I can remember.When I was younger I hated it and would lay out in the sun covered with tanning lotion and all I ever got for my trouble was a rash on the more sensitive body parts and a lobster red sunburn on the rest. Those were the short term side affects the long term permanent ones are freckles or sun spots in places that had no blemishes before .
One day at one of those home makeup parties the woman selling the products told me my skin tone is called alabaster and how very lucky I am to come by it naturally, she went on to say how there are some women who spend untold amounts of money trying for lighter skin tone. I started using sun blocking lotion instead of sun tanning lotion from then on.

Same here. I don't want skin cancer when older, and I work outside all day every day, being a PE teacher.

This is the sunblock I use. In my opinion it is the best, because it is really a daily moisturizer with SPF 50 sunblock mixed in, as it doesn't even feel or smell like a sunblock, more like a moisturizer. Yet it does the job superbly. And it is from Neutrogena, always a good source, according to my dermatologist. Unfortunately, while it is found in Target, it is rather expensive. But when it comes to the health of skin long term, I think worth it.

Conflict On about 10 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#10New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 20:13:15
@Leon Said

Seems to me to be the case. Here we have everybody wanting to get a tan, and we don't need to travel far to see salons selling either tanning sessions or many self-tanning lotions on shelves. Yes, even in San Diego you see these everywhere, despite the fact you can get a tan for free. Darker is more beautiful in our eyes.

And, having been in the Philippines for two weeks last month, I saw the same thing - only it was the opposite. Whiter is more beautiful there. Skin whitening creams are the norm with makeup for the ladies, and you see shelf after shelf of such products in grocery stores.

Why is it that nobody is satisfied with their natural color?

Our skin color is something we don't have any say in. It's given to us by our genes, by the parents we are born to. Climate is responsible and people should be satisfied with it, because our complexions play yet very necessary roles. They protect us from heat or cold, make our skin more resistant to weather conditions. I for example have a slight tan and am actually glad I do because it makes my bald head more resilient against the heat.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#11New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 21:35:41
Don't even bother tanning here. Because trying to get a tan in Colorado, or anyplace high in elevation, is like trying to make light toast in the broiler.

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 21:37:08
@Grasshopper Said

Don't even bother tanning here. Because trying to get a tan in Colorado, or anyplace high in elevation, is like trying to make light toast in the broiler.

Well that's why you go to tanning beds.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#13New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 21:38:56
@Leon Said

Well that's why you go to tanning beds.

Can't, I'm a Ginger.

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Apr 06, 2013 @ 21:40:45
@Grasshopper Said