College Life

Side-effects of state education

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:27:13
Since I was sixteen, I had a state education. I could no longer afford a private one. I followed the public system and for all intents and purposes, I felt like I was on the right path. I did well for myself but then, when it came to university, I developed a personality that didn't suit me. I became driven by my gut, fueled by my heart's desires and I studied subjects that were not mainstream. I ended up falling short of reaching my goal.

Five years later, I now realize that the state education system made me act more on feeling that thought and I regret my actions very much. When I think of the students at London Metropolitan, I see people very hungry for knowledge and drive by their utmost passions to do what they wanted to. They didn't put a great deal of thought into their actions, they were all heart most of them had a very high tendency to go where the money was and where they could grab as much as they could for themselves.

I imagine because many of them had parents who left school early, or lived in low income households, as a result, or for other reasons, they wanted to do better for themselves. This is a noble ideal, I must admit, but the grasping, the need to hit the hardest with their minds and soar to the mountain peak is not something I was cut out for.
The_Judge On September 17, 2013

Deleted

Your city, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:41:02
Some people are born to succeed some are obviously born to fail.
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Aug 23, 2013 @ 13:50:03
@The_Judge Said

Some people are born to succeed some are obviously born to fail.

Ayn Rand wrote of this.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#4New Post! Aug 23, 2013 @ 19:39:40
@Conflict Said

Since I was sixteen, I had a state education. I could no longer afford a private one. I followed the public system and for all intents and purposes, I felt like I was on the right path. I did well for myself but then, when it came to university, I developed a personality that didn't suit me. I became driven by my gut, fueled by my heart's desires and I studied subjects that were not mainstream. I ended up falling short of reaching my goal.

Five years later, I now realize that the state education system made me act more on feeling that thought and I regret my actions very much. When I think of the students at London Metropolitan, I see people very hungry for knowledge and drive by their utmost passions to do what they wanted to. They didn't put a great deal of thought into their actions, they were all heart most of them had a very high tendency to go where the money was and where they could grab as much as they could for themselves.

I imagine because many of them had parents who left school early, or lived in low income households, as a result, or for other reasons, they wanted to do better for themselves. This is a noble ideal, I must admit, but the grasping, the need to hit the hardest with their minds and soar to the mountain peak is not something I was cut out for.

I'm confused. How exactly did state education fail you? Because you didn't like the atmosphere?
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#5New Post! Aug 24, 2013 @ 12:58:24
@someone_else_again Said

I'm confused. How exactly did state education fail you? Because you didn't like the atmosphere?

No, I found things to like about the atmosphere. The problem was that I'd lived better than many of the students. I was taught to read at three, there were always books in the house. My mother was generous enough to introduce me to many subjects and buy books for me to read when I was older. I ate three times a day, I always had toys. I was allowed to be a child, instead of growing up faster because I had to help at home.

I had no business going to a state college or university. I did because I had no choice, but given the choice, I wouldn't have gone. I only hope that my presence didn't deprive someone else from a family of five, whose bright child didn't get my spot because I was in the way, from getting the chance to further himself.

But then, I was only one person, so the damage must have been minimal and there weren't too many people in my position, who were made to do what I did.
The_Judge On September 17, 2013

Deleted

Your city, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:57:08
@Conflict Said

No, I found things to like about the atmosphere. The problem was that I'd lived better than many of the students. I was taught to read at three, there were always books in the house. My mother was generous enough to introduce me to many subjects and buy books for me to read when I was older. I ate three times a day, I always had toys. I was allowed to be a child, instead of growing up faster because I had to help at home.

I had no business going to a state college or university. I did because I had no choice, but given the choice, I wouldn't have gone. I only hope that my presence didn't deprive someone else from a family of five, whose bright child didn't get my spot because I was in the way, from getting the chance to further himself.

But then, I was only one person, so the damage must have been minimal and there weren't too many people in my position, who were made to do what I did.

If you had no choice, then yes that is where you were to go.

Has everybody elses life panned out like yours, or are they more successful?

If so, then all your big headed bragging about how you are two smart for a state education and you are better than everyone else, is quite funny.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 16:32:16
@Conflict Said

I see. This is probably different from what I'm used to. Are there only a certain number of students allowed each year?

You feel as though you may have possibly let another person down because they couldn't afford to go anywhere else but you could and didn't? Except that you said you had no choice so you couldn't go somewhere else either.

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably best to not dwell on your past like this. If it bothers you, maybe you could make it your goal to help a needy person become educated.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 23:27:04
@Conflict Said

Excuse me. I've been in state education all my life, and those things are applicable to me. The same with all my friends!

And if by 'help at home' you mean doing chores and earning pocket money, that does NO harm. Especially when you then need to go and support yourself at university.

State education made you follow your gut, and you didn't do well...but for the other state educated people at your uni it made them follow their gut and work hard and make lots of money? Make your bloody mind up.

Also - you went to London. ALL UK universities are 'state' schools. There aren't any private universities, if you didn't get into a 'better' uni, it isn't because you were poor, it is because you didn't get the grades or have a good personal statement/interview.

So f*** off with your blatant elitism, and stop blaming 'the state'. (for your info, the statistics STILL show that more upper/middle class children go to university than working class)
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Aug 27, 2013 @ 23:52:33
State education sucks... especially community college... if you go to a state school or attend a community college you might end up like one of these bums:

> Walt Disney (Metropolitan Junior College)

> Ross Perot (Texarkana Junior College)

> Neil Armstrong -(Purdue University)

> Clint Eastwood (Los Angeles City College)

> George Lucas (Modesto Junior College)

> Billy Crystal (Nassau Community College)

> Nolan Archibald (Dixie Junior College)

> Eileen Collins (Corning Community College)

OH!!! And some other losers that got public education... Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Steve jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Steven Spielberg, Donald Trump, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey....

It would seem that primary Side-effects of state education is to become a loser in life...
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#10New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 17:11:08
@chaski Said

State education sucks... especially community college... if you go to a state school or attend a community college you might end up like one of these bums:

> Walt Disney (Metropolitan Junior College)

> Ross Perot (Texarkana Junior College)

> Neil Armstrong -(Purdue University)

> Clint Eastwood (Los Angeles City College)

> George Lucas (Modesto Junior College)

> Billy Crystal (Nassau Community College)

> Nolan Archibald (Dixie Junior College)

> Eileen Collins (Corning Community College)

OH!!! And some other losers that got public education... Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Steve jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Steven Spielberg, Donald Trump, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Jordan, Oprah Winfrey....

It would seem that primary Side-effects of state education is to become a loser in life...

Those are an entirely different set of states. Doesn't that matter?

Of course, in light of Ninozara's post, I'd say I've got no clue what the difference is in education.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 18:14:09
@someone_else_again Said

Those are an entirely different set of states. Doesn't that matter?

I don't know, Conflict didn't limit his OP to any specific "state" (and I am not sure what Ninozara has to do with my post).

Conflict didn't seem happy with the impact of his "state education" and its impact on his transition to university.

He mentioned "London Metropolitan" a "public research university located in London, United Kingdom"... I am guessing that it is funded at least in part by the government... thus a form of "state education".

So, since he didn't seem to think much of his "state education", I thought that I would support him by pointing out all the losers that were impacted by "state education".

Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 18:25:44
@ninozara Said

Excuse me. I've been in state education all my life, and those things are applicable to me. The same with all my friends!

I hardly know of any people who were privately educated and I agree with you all the way!
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#13New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 18:38:05
@chaski Said

I don't know, Conflict didn't limit his OP to any specific "state" (and I am not sure what Ninozara has to do with my post).

Conflict didn't seem happy with the impact of his "state education" and its impact on his transition to university.

He mentioned "London Metropolitan" a "public research university located in London, United Kingdom"... I am guessing that it is funded at least in part by the government... thus a form of "state education".

So, since he didn't seem to think much of his "state education", I thought that I would support him by pointing out all the losers that were impacted by "state education".

Okay. I'll join you then.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 19:00:59
It's a phenomenon I've never understood when people who were in their early twenties acting exactly the way people act in their early twenties feel that they need to find something to blame for them acting like they were in their early twenties.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#15New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 19:02:55
@Eaglebauer Said

It's a phenomenon I've never understood when someone who was in their early twenties acting exactly the way people act in their early twenties feel that they need to find something to blame for them acting like they were in their early twenties.

Perhaps said person doesn't want to admit responsibility for being irresponsible.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs