The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should the US Supreme Court be more diverse?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:16:58
The nomination of Elena Kagan to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens on the US Supreme Court means, if she is confirmed, all of the justices will have been at either Harvard or Yale law schools. But why should two educational bodies provide all of the US's most senior judges?

It has also been pointed out that four of the court will be New Yorkers and that the court will consist of six Catholics and three Jews - no protestants.

With white, black, and Hispanic justices on the court and both men and women represented, the court might seem heterogeneous but in terms of educational background it's become extremely homogeneous.

"The court has become a bastion of the elite - it's sophisticated, north-eastern, highly cultured,"

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8690868.stm

Should where they went to school matter? Or is it more important to have sexual and racial diversity?

Does the fact that they all graduated from just two schools make it elitist?

Discuss.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#2New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:20:47
In short, yes.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#3New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:21:49
Should be based on qualifications, not some ignorant idea of "diversity."
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#4New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:26:48
@raditz Said

Doesn't it strike you as a little odd that most of these "qualified persons" are white old men? If someone from a minority is more than qualified, what's the big deal if that person is picked?
\m//O_O\\m/

#5New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:38:23
@raditz Said

But aren't people who go to Harvard and Yale generally from rich, privileged backgrounds? Could an average Joe be just as qualified in law coming from a lesser law school?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:44:41
The Catholics control everything *eyes shift nervously*.

Actually on a serious point most people in the central belt of Scotland who hold positions of power are Catholics, but that's more to do with Catholic education being better than non-denominational. Guess it's just the places with the best education tend to produce the most capable people. Though I know nothing about the US Supreme Court.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:51:18
@SparklyKatie Said

But aren't people who go to Harvard and Yale generally from rich, privileged backgrounds? Could an average Joe be just as qualified in law coming from a lesser law school?

People go to Harvard and Yale on scholarships also.
\m//O_O\\m/

#8New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:52:08
@plebian_angel Said

People go to Harvard and Yale on scholarships also.

Ah ok thanks.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#9New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:52:17
@Hazuki0chan Said

Doesn't it strike you as a little odd that most of these "qualified persons" are white old men? If someone from a minority is more than qualified, what's the big deal if that person is picked?

More than qualified isn't most qualified.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:53:21
Havard always reminds me of this

Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#11New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:00:48
@SparklyKatie Said

The nomination of Elena Kagan to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens on the US Supreme Court means, if she is confirmed, all of the justices will have been at either Harvard or Yale law schools. But why should two educational bodies provide all of the US's most senior judges?

It has also been pointed out that four of the court will be New Yorkers and that the court will consist of six Catholics and three Jews - no protestants.

With white, black, and Hispanic justices on the court and both men and women represented, the court might seem heterogeneous but in terms of educational background it's become extremely homogeneous.

"The court has become a bastion of the elite - it's sophisticated, north-eastern, highly cultured,"

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8690868.stm

Should where they went to school matter? Or is it more important to have sexual and racial diversity?

Does the fact that they all graduated from just two schools make it elitist?

Discuss.

To me, it's more important to have judges that are first and foremost, QUALIFIED for the job! However, this is a diverse country, so I want diversity in ever elected official and those that serve in office as well! I don't care where they were educated!
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#12New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:05:26
@Spinkiegirl Said

To me, it's more important to have judges that are first and foremost, QUALIFIED for the job! However, this is a diverse country, so I want diversity in ever elected official and those that serve in office as well! I don't care where they were educated!

The SC judges aren't elected.

Chicago, Illinois
#13New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:06:50
@Hazuki0chan Said

It shouldn't be a big deal. PERIOD! This country now has very qualified non-whites to fill ANY political office! I want my govt. and my political leaders to be diverse like the country they serve! It only makes sense!

Chicago, Illinois
#14New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:09:34
@raditz Said

The SC judges aren't elected.

Yeah, I know that, but still there NEEDS to be diversity there! Don't you know there are non-whites who are just as qualified to be a SCJ?

Chicago, Illinois
#15New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:13:30
@Hazuki0chan Said

In short, yes.

? Yes to what?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs