The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should the U.S. be drilling for oil in Alaska?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
nothinsnew On September 15, 2009

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:51:04
What do you think? I would have thought that it would have been one of the most fragile eco-systems in the world and that anything of this magnitude would devestate the area. George W Bush's comments are also intersesting. This is from the Planet Ark web site:
"US President George W. Bush says drilling in ANWR would help reduce reliance on imports of foreign oil."
I didnt know that Alaska was the sole territory and possesion of the U.S.??
oldways On May 03, 2005

Practising Voodoo in, Haiti
#2New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 13:08:37
No, Alaska shouldn't be touched.......that is public land, a national treasure..... in the truest sense of the word.

Maybe higher gas prices would teach Americans to conserve their resources and have better economic planning.
boys4pele On November 11, 2009

Meridian, Mississippi
#3New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 13:31:06
Bush thinks he owns everything. GRRRRRR
oldways On May 03, 2005

Practising Voodoo in, Haiti
#4New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 13:39:13
Just like his pet poodle, B.liar here!
boys4pele On November 11, 2009

Meridian, Mississippi
#5New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 14:16:25
SO BUSH HAS BILLIONS OF DOLLARS...I am sure he will try to buy all of the oil and all of the gas in the world....so he can ration it out to people and gouge the hell out of everyone around the world...we will have to beg for gas.. and be under his rule....that would make him so happy to see us beg...grrr....
justjohn On January 12, 2006

Madison, Wisconsin
#6New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 15:23:55
yeah, because we all know bush is a communist dictator. They thought the pipeline would destroy the environment, and kill all the carribou or something and now there's like four times as many, so I think that ploy is usually a load of crap. Maybe it will hurt the environment, but probably not. I think it's probably a good idea. And yes, Alaska is soley owned by the US. why the heck wouldn't it be? It one of the 50 states...
noveltygun On January 05, 2022

seattle, Washington
#7New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 20:44:25
NO

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#8New Post! Mar 17, 2005 @ 22:09:21
Maybe this would be a good time for the governments of the world to seriously start doing something to lessen our reliance on oil and oil based products instead of applying quick fixes to long term problems?
mark_o On June 02, 2008

Southport, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 18, 2005 @ 08:30:20
guvenments an big bissnesses just want moor money they dont give a toss for anythin else but money
shardsofwinter On September 23, 2008

Lost in the gray, Colorado
#10New Post! Mar 18, 2005 @ 23:56:22
The less we drill, the more pressure we'll be under to come up with Oil Alternatives. Bush is just too thick headed to see things the way they should happen morally, and not what the upper class thinks should happen financially.

Shards <----Bush Hater
2l82pray On April 29, 2005

United States
#11New Post! Mar 19, 2005 @ 13:54:52
Bush hater or not..and yeah, I can't stand him....

Drilling for oil isn't like it used to be. Oil drilling sites are now under extreme enviromental regulations. It's actually incredibly clean and does not effect the enviroment or surrounding wildlife to the extent everyone fears.

Alaska is MASSIVE! When I say Massive, try to imagine Texas...twice. The small amount of land they're going to drill on is minute...think Rhode Island in the middle of Texas times two. We probably polute the enviroment more driving to work, using electricity to run this computer and buying bottled water in Plastic bottles in one year than oil drilling on such a small area of land in five.

OPEC, which is run by Middle Eastern concerns (many of whom are sympathetic to extremists who despise America and everything it stands for) is holding America hostage with Oil. They have absolutely no concious about driving up oil prices to make us suffer.

Liberals complain that we're in Iraq and Afghanistan because of Oil. Well, Alaska and other American oil fields will certainly solve THAT problem. If they are correct and the war is all about Oil, then making sure we don't need Oil from foriegn shores will insure that we don't need to go to war again, saving thousands of American lives, and Billions of taxpayer dollars. Making a couple of caribou veer half a mile off their migration course seems a small price to pay.

And it's big corporations that are holding back technology which would lessen our dependence on oil and other natural resources, NOT THE GOVERNMENT. After all, if an inventor comes up with a way to run power plants without coal, and cars without gas, then they're out of business. Just like they silenced the guy back in the 80's who had invented a way to make endless, clean electricity with magnetic fields.
bstumbo On April 26, 2006

Tiburon, Ca., California
#12New Post! Mar 20, 2005 @ 23:23:38
Ah Yes,

Liberals ... the curse of mankind. I always love it when someone loves to blame everything on the liberals.

Alaska is not all that is at risk here. It's all Government owned property that has been off limits to the oil interests. The oil shortage is a figment of big oil's imagination. That's how they keep gas prices at all time highs. If Alaska is actually allowed to be drilled, it will produce roughly 270 days of the United States oil usage. Nine months of oil, in trade for one of the worlds few pristine areas which are left. But like I said, that's not all that it's about. Alaska has been the "Holy Grail" for big oil. Once Alaska has been breached, that other areas which are off limits will be easy. Fragile coastlines in Florida and California will be next, with National Parks quickly following. All for the sake of big oil getting fatter and richer, on public lands.

Here's what I would like to ask ... Why is it that corporations feel like it is their sacred right to use public lands? They belong to the public ... the people of the United States. They're meant for all of us to enjoy, not to be used for corporate greed. When I go to the parks, it's for wilderness and quiet of the surroundings. I would much rather that, than the cranking of oil wells splattered all over the landscape. There's plenty of land for the oil interests to destroy ... they don't need that which belongs to all of us!
respectbush On September 27, 2007

, France
#13New Post! Mar 28, 2005 @ 21:48:15
tss so put water in your tank if you are not happy

Deleted

The Coast, Australia
#14New Post! Mar 28, 2005 @ 22:26:09
Believe me I would if I could! I dont think anyone's gonna come out with a car that doesn't run on petro-chemicals until there's no money left to be made from oil. I'm 110% sure that they have the technology but until greedy fat polititians and executives cant line their pockets any more any attempt to convert to any other source of power will be shut down.
catlady On March 26, 2010

, Washington
#15New Post! Mar 28, 2005 @ 22:31:22
I agree with that 100%, nothinsnew. They HAVE the technology to do something else.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs