The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should the Confederate "Stars & Bars" be retired from government buildings?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...9 10 11 · >>
JTFSCOTT On November 30, 2015

Banned

Columbus,
#16New Post! Jun 27, 2015 @ 17:56:26
@mrmhead Said

Who was talking about "Banning Flags"?

The OP said "Retire", NC is considering removing it from a memorial, the only "ban" that I saw was from the big Corps jumping on a bandwagon of free advertising. Do you really think a few stinkin' flags matter to Walmart or Amazon? They just want to look "noble" ... before social-media seizes on them.

I am. It's in the news.

Amazon and Ebay are banning the flag.

There's no good reason to remove the Confederate Battle Flag from government buildings. If they decide to do this, the American Flag needs to be removed as well.
JTFSCOTT On November 30, 2015

Banned

Columbus,
#17New Post! Jun 27, 2015 @ 18:01:59
@shinobinoz Said

Uh..... history begs to differ. To wit:
April 26, 1852
"Confederate States of America - Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union

The people of the State of South Carolina, in Convention assembled, on the 26th day of April, A.D., 1852, declared that the frequent violations of the Constitution of the United States, by the Federal Government, and its encroachments upon the reserved rights of the States, fully justified this State in then withdrawing from the Federal Union; but in deference to the opinions and wishes of the other slaveholding States , she forbore at that time to exercise this right. Since that time, these encroachments have continued to increase, and further forbearance ceases to be a virtue."

That's just the first paragraph. In all the declaration mentions slavery 18 times.
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

If this is the argument you're using, The United States needs to lower it's flag for it's ties to the slave trade.

The guilty parties for the slave trade starts with Africans and ends with Americans.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#18New Post! Jun 27, 2015 @ 18:17:49
@JTFSCOTT Said

There's no good reason to remove the Confederate Battle Flag from government buildings. If they decide to do this, the American Flag needs to be removed as well.

You are wrong. There are a lot of good reasons, starting with Democracy. If the majority of people want it taken down, then the flag should come down. If you don't like it, write your congressman or senator.

@JTFSCOTT Said

If this is the argument you're using, The United States needs to lower it's flag for it's ties to the slave trade.

The guilty parties for the slave trade starts with Africans and ends with Americans.

You fail to understand the USA corrected its mistake in regards to slavery, and some of our founding fathers were against slavery from the beginning of our country.

AND, your beloved confederacy never corrected its mistake in regards to slavery. Instead it went to war over the topic and lost.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#19New Post! Jun 27, 2015 @ 18:20:56
@JTFSCOTT Said

I have no problem with them both coming down ya see?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#20New Post! Jun 27, 2015 @ 21:34:00
So much white knighting for the confederate flag.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#21New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 21:49:33
@DiscordTiger Said

So much white knighting for the confederate flag.

Now DT... we all know that the confederate skull and cross bones.... I'm mean stars and cross bones...ah...stars and crossed bars... has anything to do with racism and "white knighting"...

PS
I think the guy in this picture ( ) is cross-eyed....
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#22New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 22:14:24
@chaski Said

Now DT... we all know that the confederate skull and cross bones.... I'm mean stars and cross bones...ah...stars and crossed bars... has anything to do with racism and "white knighting"...

PS
I think the guy in this picture ( ) is cross-eyed....

OMG, that might have been my best unintentional pun ever. I really meant it in the internet white knight sort of way.

I was just annoyed at the confederates vs the skittle factory war on my FB page. Actually it was just one skirmish. And the one being all "confederate flag isn't about racism, it's southerner pride" 1) isn't even a real southerner (They live in the southish now, but their familiy are immigrants that moved to the north after the civil war), and 2)is super racist.(they didn't realize I was in the room when they started talking s***, I also pass well enough as "a white Spaniard" so I'm not quite the Dirty wetback, and apparently I should be ok with hating black people too.)

Anyway it was like constant posts of white knighting, I was really worrying there was not sleep going on, because something needed saving on the internet. Along with the occasional " I hate drama" post. Ans I was just "girl, don't want none, don't start none." So I blocked her, posted here and walked away from the computer for a while.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#23New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 22:23:30
""The use of flags from the German Third Reich (1933-1945) is currently subject to legal restrictions in a number of countries""
link

""The German Strafgesetzbuch (Criminal Code) in § 86a outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations". This concerns Nazi symbolism in particular and is part of the denazification efforts following the fall of the Third Reich.

The law prohibits the distribution or public use of symbols of unconstitutional groups, in particular, flags, insignia, uniforms, slogans and forms of greeting.[1]""
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#24New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 22:28:50
the south is still waiting for the north to surrender?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#25New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 22:34:12
@Willi Said

""The use of flags from the German Third Reich (1933-1945) is currently subject to legal restrictions in a number of countries""
link

""The German Strafgesetzbuch (Criminal Code) in § 86a outlaws "use of symbols of unconstitutional organizations". This concerns Nazi symbolism in particular and is part of the denazification efforts following the fall of the Third Reich.

The law prohibits the distribution or public use of symbols of unconstitutional groups, in particular, flags, insignia, uniforms, slogans and forms of greeting.[1]""

I'm not even going to look at your link...

Everyone knows that the Nazi white supremacy racism was not the same as the Confederate white supremacy racism....not all racism is the same...not all racism is bad...and not all symbols of racism should be done away with....we need to cling to some of our racist symbols so that we can remember the people who fought and died to maintain their racist ways.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#26New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 23:13:47
Since government is representative of all the people, then, no, flags that many find offensive or with negative connotations has no place on official buildings. U.S. government institutions should stick with official flags only and leave it at that.

Privately, however, people should not be banned from using the Confederate flag or whatever flag they want to use, for whatever purpose. However, anyone who does should expect to be associated with negative things, depending on who is viewing it, such as being racist and/or white trash, even if that is not the intention. It comes with the territory.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#27New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 23:42:31
@chaski Said

Everyone knows that the Nazi white supremacy racism was not the same as the Confederate white supremacy racism....not all racism is the same...not all racism is bad...and not all symbols of racism should be done away with....we need to cling to some of our racist symbols so that we can remember the people who fought and died to maintain their racist ways.

LOL
since my race is better then yours, I agree.

LOL
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#28New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 23:51:49
@Willi Said

LOL
since my race is better then yours, I agree.

LOL

Exactly...

Now that is what I am talking about... we all just accept one point of view...then we are communicating rationally.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#29New Post! Jun 28, 2015 @ 23:56:09
@chaski Said

Exactly...

Now that is what I am talking about... we all just accept one point of view...then we are communicating rationally.

when will the north finally surrender?
it's obvious the north ain't got the balls to march south ever again.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#30New Post! Jun 29, 2015 @ 00:37:02
@Leon Said

Since government is representative of all the people, then, no, flags that many find offensive or with negative connotations has no place on official buildings. U.S. government institutions should stick with official flags only and leave it at that.

Privately, however, people should not be banned from using the Confederate flag or whatever flag they want to use, for whatever purpose. However, anyone who does should expect to be associated with negative things, depending on who is viewing it, such as being racist and/or white trash, even if that is not the intention. It comes with the territory.

Yeah for sure, I kinda want to know who I should keep my eye on!!!!!! Flying flags & bumper stickers makes it that much more easier!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs