The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should the Confederate "Stars & Bars" be retired from government buildings?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 11 · >>
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#136New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:08:21
GMAFB!!!

Dukes of Hazzard pulled from TV Land
Quote:
The network would not comment further on whether reruns of the series were pulled due to its inclusion of a 1969 Dodge Charger known as the "General Lee" which has the Confederate battle flag painted on its roof.

chaski On about 22 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#137New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:16:26

Ok.. @JTFSCOTT and @Crush. ...even I... Super Flaming Liberal Chaski think that is stupid!
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#138New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:30:17

@chaski Said

Ok.. @JTFSCOTT and @Crush. ...even I... Super Flaming Liberal Chaski think that is stupid!

I KNEW this was going to happen. Dammit! I'm guilty of thoughtcrime!!!!!!
Thanks Obama!
chaski On about 22 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#139New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:34:30
@shinobinoz Said

Thanks Obama!

You bad...very bad...evil...thoughtcriminal!!! Stupid Obama!
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#140New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:38:43
Yeah, I have to agree that was a stupid move from tv land.

Huge difference from being on the general lee car to flying over a government building, higher than the US flag.

Also the dukes, was a tv show the product of their times. It's just as wrong as banning books like huck finn and to kill a mocking bird. Art and entertainment are different, and should be available.

Unless it is cheesy stupid a** remakes. Those are an abomination, I try to pretend they do not exist. It is always going to be Tom Wopat and John Schneider for me.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#141New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 23:50:54
Seriously TV land airs stuff like bonanza, i love lucy, three's company, etc.

NE, Ohio
#142New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 01:23:18
@shinobinoz Said

Thanks Obama!

@chaski Said

You bad...very bad...evil...thoughtcriminal!!! Stupid Obama!

You guys are just vying for a larger ration of SOMA!
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#143New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 01:45:03
@mrmhead Said

You guys are just vying for a larger ration of SOMA!

The immortal drink, a muscle relaxant, or lingerie?

NE, Ohio
#144New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 01:55:15
@DiscordTiger Said

The immortal drink, a muscle relaxant, or lingerie?

@A Brave New World Said
Soma

The drug soma is a symbol of the use of instant gratification to control the World State’s populace. It is also a symbol of the powerful influence of science and technology on society. As a kind of “sacrament,” it also represents the use of religion to control society.

Soma
@SOMA Said
you do look glum! What you need is a gramme of soma.

NE, Ohio
#145New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 01:56:56
Not to be confused with

The Queen of Random

Administrator

#146New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 02:02:19
@mrmhead Said

Soma

You make me use my google fu so much! And sometimes I miss the mark. I even mentioned banned books and still it did not click. I got distracted by the titties.

NE, Ohio
#147New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 02:08:28
@DiscordTiger Said

You make me use my google fu so much! And sometimes I miss the mark. I even mentioned banned books and still it did not click. I got distracted by the titties.

Though, admittedly I did jump from one type of dystopia to another....
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#148New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 03:30:42
"Perhaps most perniciously, neo-Confederates now claim that the South seceded for states’ rights. When each state left the Union, its leaders made clear that they were seceding because they were for slavery and against states’ rights. In its “Declaration Of The Causes Which Impel The State Of Texas To Secede From The Federal Union,” for example, the secession convention of Texas listed the states that had offended them: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa. These states had in fact exercised states’ rights by passing laws that interfered with the federal government’s attempts to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act. Some also no longer let slaveowners “transit” through their states with their slaves. “States’ rights” were what Texas was seceding against. Texas also made clear what it was seceding for: white supremacy."

Why people believe the myths of the confederacy
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#149New Post! Jul 02, 2015 @ 03:36:30
This “Confederately correct” orthodoxy that the South fought for independence, not slavery, rankled a few southern realists, including the editors of the Richmond-based Southern Punch in 1864:

” ‘The people of the South,’ says a contemporary, ‘are not fighting for slavery but for independence.’ Let us look into this matter. It is an easy task, we think, to show up this new-fangled heresy — a heresy calculated to do us no good, for it cannot deceive foreign statesmen nor peoples, nor mislead any one here nor in Yankeeland. . . Our doctrine is this: WE ARE FIGHTING FOR INDEPENDENCE THAT OUR GREAT AND NECESSARY DOMESTIC INSTITUTION OF SLAVERY SHALL BE PRESERVED, and for the preservation of other institutions of which slavery is the groundwork.”

How people convince themselves that the confederate flag is about freedom not slavery.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#150New Post! Jul 05, 2015 @ 19:11:24
It doesn't belong on a government building. It's a defeated country. We don't fly the flags of defeated countries on our current government buildings.

Fly it in your yard, on your house, from your car windows... I don't care. As long as you follow your county, state, city, HOA rules. Just keep it off the damn government buildings.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs