The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should the Confederate "Stars & Bars" be retired from government buildings?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#121New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 17:37:01
@JTFSCOTT Said

I don't see the battle for states rights ever being a product of dishonest historians--historical re-writes. States rights has been and still is a big deal. It's part of what makes Federalism Federalism.

Aye, but the cornerstone for States Rights for the confederacy WAS SLAVERY! Remove that & I don't believe we would have had a bloody civil war.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#122New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 17:41:20
@JTFSCOTT Said

It's not an either or.

For a while california was losing businesses. That state has make it more difficult to do well. Other states like Texas are doing a bit better as they seem to be attracting commerce.

Cali still number one.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#123New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 17:42:12
@JTFSCOTT Said

The point there was to acknowledge that General Lee wasn't for slavery.

But officer..... I, I, I have meth but I don't use or sell it!!!!!!!
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#124New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 17:48:23
@JTFSCOTT Said

I don't see the battle for states rights ever being a product of dishonest historians--historical re-writes. States rights has been and still is a big deal. It's part of what makes Federalism Federalism.

It's dishonest when they try and ignore that the rights being argued about were slavery and racism. And denying that those were a huge part of the conflict.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#125New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 18:12:17
@DiscordTiger Said

It's dishonest when they try and ignore that the rights being argued about were slavery and racism. And denying that those were a huge part of the conflict.

Still are sadly!
chaski On about 8 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#126New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 18:34:17
@JTFSCOTT Said

The point there was to acknowledge that General Lee wasn't for slavery.

Then you did not read all of it.

The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence.

In other words, he just said that slavery was necessary and it was up to god when slavery should be stopped.

Thankfully god, apparently, acted through the USA to force the south to stop slavery.

But, this is what you do, cherry pick the parts you like and ignore the rest.
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#127New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 18:49:21
Of course some cynics say the war and indeed all wars are about money...be we are far from cynical
JTFSCOTT On November 30, 2015

Banned

Columbus,
#128New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 18:53:13
@chaski Said

Then you did not read all of it.

Oh?
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#129New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 19:00:11
In the end the working men of the South deserted their army, they'd had enough and could see that it was a rich mans' war, with the poor doing the fighting and dying.
Stalker

#130New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 19:32:18
@JTFSCOTT Said

Oh?

Apparently...missed an important part right there in front of you...and the passage wasn't even that long....odd that.
Crush On June 23, 2021

#131New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 02:27:46
@mrmhead Said

Says the poster that tried to argue vehemently for a "Yes or No" answer on (something?), unable to accept there may be an answer more appropriate than a simple-minded binary reply.

Maybe that break did you a little good.

On the other hand, you've not improved a bit.

It's a standard tactic of you and Shinobinoz to claim ambiguity when you've painted yourself in a corner. It's a cowardly and dishonest move and I'll continue to call you on it.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#132New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 03:00:31
@Crush Said

It's a standard tactic of you and Shinobinoz to claim ambiguity when you've painted yourself in a corner. It's a cowardly and dishonest move and I'll continue to call you on it.

Please show this.....
Crush On June 23, 2021

#133New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 03:36:52
@chaski Said

You keep using cute little terms like "thoughtcrime" and "banishing history".

But, no one is stopping anyone from thinking whatever they want, so your "thoughtcrime" stuff is nonsense.

The range of acceptable thought is routinely under attack, as the flag controversy demonstrates. Both de jure and de facto speech is censored throughout the Western world. The reactions of many people in this thread to unorthodox views is a perfect example. You fear being a thoughtcriminal.

@chaski Said
Additionally, no one is "banishing history". In fact, sales of history books in book stores (both "brick and mortar" and internet based) is thriving as are history courses in schools (both "brick and mortar" and internet based).

Removing the Confederate battle flag and other attempts to censor Southern history is very clearly banishing history.

Also, I find it very telling that you somehow think sales of conformist books that present only the standard view is somehow proof of history thriving.

@chaski Said
The reality is that no one is policing your thoughts nor banishing history.

The only way you can honestly state that is if you've never had an unacceptable thought. I believe that to be the case.

@chaski Said
In addition, you understanding of U.S. history during the Civil War period is meager at best. Should should consider taking some university courses on the topic.

More proof of what a well conditioned serf you are. I've studied the Civil War extensively. But because I don't agree with you, you equate that with ignorance. It's also risible that you hold university courses as some gold standard.

But, you'll just get all flustered reading the above (after you've looked up a few words) and come squawking back with more of the same.

Bottom line, you're a pleb.
Stalker

#134New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 11:40:33
@Crush Said

The range of acceptable thought is routinely under attack, as the flag controversy demonstrates. Both de jure and de facto speech is censored throughout the Western world. The reactions of many people in this thread to unorthodox views is a perfect example.

You present yourself as a conservative and your ideas as conservative ideas. Many of the people that disagree with you are liberals, or at least more liberal than you.

You are actually the one that wants to censor peoples thoughts and actions. Pretty ironically trite of you.

@Crush Said

You fear being a thoughtcriminal.

Your application of "thought criminal" concept is moronic.

Regardless... I am apparently a "thought criminal" in your conservative belief system.

@Crush Said

...and other attempts to censor Southern history is very clearly banishing history.

Feel free to share your examples of southern history being banished from history.

@Crush Said

Also, I find it very telling that you somehow think sales of conformist books that present only the standard view is somehow proof of history thriving.

Feel free to share the names and authors of some of your "non conformist books" on southern history.

@Crush Said

The only way you can honestly state that is if you've never had an unacceptable thought. I believe that to be the case.

The only way you can say that anyone is policing your thoughts is if you have a very serious case of paranoid delusions. I'm told that there is medicine for this sort of thing.

@Crush Said

More proof of what a well conditioned serf you are. I've studied the Civil War extensively. But because I don't agree with you, you equate that with ignorance. It's also risible that you hold university courses as some gold standard.

You may have studied the Civil War extensively, but you apparently weren't paying full attention. NOT because you don't agree with me, but because of the inaccuracies in the information you present.

And I don't equate not having a university degree with ignorance nor university courses as "some gold standard". I was merely suggesting that you need to do more research on the topic as you don't seem of fully grasp it, and universities have classes that might help get you started. You could try a high school, they have classes also. Or maybe to some comprehensive and objective research on the topic at hand.

Whatever you have been doing so far hasn't worked.

@Crush Said

But, you'll just get all flustered reading the above

If you think that you in any way "fluster" me, you have a bizarre view of your self importance.

@Crush Said

Bottom line, you're a pleb.

Typical tactic of the person who knows that their position is unsupported by facts: Resort to name calling.

Of course I would much rather be a pleb than a self important twit with delusions of intellectual grandeur.

So, I thank you for the complement.
mrmhead On about 20 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#135New Post! Jul 01, 2015 @ 12:20:53
@Crush Said

No, just aware of the ways of trolls.

The minute I were to imply something as an absolute, a troll will pull out some hair-brained example to counter it.

Much like that "trap" you admitted to trying to set for Shinobinoz, but he wouldn't bite.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs