The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Should school students face a mandatory drug test?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Dimples74 On June 12, 2010

Bettendorf, Iowa
#1New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:47:23
My son came home and asked me this. IT was a tough question!! I think it violates a students rights but I heard once the student enters the school..they have no rights. Not sure about that but....Let's say the teacher suspects a student is using drugs... I think they should just let the parents know and have the parents take care of it. Then again, there are some parents that are in denial. They will deny that their children are using drugs...but the school should just inform the parents and the Parents should handle the problem. Its really a tough question!! Im sure there are some top students...making A's that smoke weed......or do drugs. Besides, if they drug test every student....will that make our taxes go higher? Sighs.....Also, if they require drug testing...Im pretty sure half the school would be in trouble.... Theres alot of students that struggle with peer pressure and do drugs just to make friends and look cool.........
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#2New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:48:34
I really think that thee should be a reason---if he on the school sprots team he would have to sign his rights away
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:49:52
21 Jumpstreet did an episdoe about this. it brought up all points of view.
There was some kid with a disease and after the drug testing he was shunned as it came up after that
I'm kindof split on this. I know how violated I felt when my mom just searched my room for drugs.
If we start in schools, where does it end?
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#4New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:51:52
good god NO... high school is supposed to be a time of experimenting and figuring out the world... for better, for worse, we cant take that away from teens... they shouldnt feel like they cant explore... what to do with that is on the parents, not the school... for better or for worse...
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#5New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:52:22
I suppose the only thing I can say,without sounding like an old fuddy duddy is,It's a sign of the times drugs seem to be in all corners of society these days.
MOAB On February 01, 2009

Deleted

Huntsville, Alabama
#6New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:52:48
Peer pressure ? ( Welcome to the real World). There,s nothing that says a kid should smoke dope to get over the stress, of not fitting in. Every kid has a choice, and smoking or taking drugs is not an excuse.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:53:31
@MOAB Said

Peer pressure ? ( Welcome to the real World). There,s nothing that says a kid should smoke dope to get over the stress, of not fitting in. Every kid has a choice, and smoking or taking drugs is not an excuse.

I totally agree. Doing drugs is a copout.

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#8New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 12:59:29
There is another question I haven't seen asked yet,Who tests the Drug Testers?????
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 13:12:14
If a teacher suspects a student is doing drugs ,then the teacher should send the kid to school nurse and let the nurse contact the parents and let them do their job as parents by getting the 'problem ' (if one exsists) taken care of, If the parents are in denial and won't take responseblity for their kid, the school has no choice but to call the authorities and let them take it up with the parents.
001627 On January 24, 2009

-----, Gaza Strip
#10New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 13:15:31
@iwannano Said

If a teacher suspects a student is doing drugs ,then the teacher should send the kid to school nurse and let the nurse contact the parents and let them do their job as parents by getting the 'problem ' (if one exsists) taken care of, If the parents are in denial and won't take responseblity for their kid, the school has no choice but to call the authorities and let them take it up with the parents.

Banned or expell the kid , if the parents , refuse letting their kid take a drug test......Whats good for the goose is good for the gander....

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#12New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 13:21:17
@iwannano Said

And in the event the kid isn't on anything illegal,does the school get it arse sued for everything the parent's can get?????

It seems to be the American way now,and I'm not American Bashing.
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 13:25:39
if deemed under the influence of drugs there should be a test, if positive then the child needs suspending from school, his/her actions will also have an adverse effect on others in the school, they could influence others, they could supply, and they set a bad example.

parents should be informed and be present at such tests, and they should be given guidance as to how to tackle the issue with their children, its no good simply excluding those who take drugs, there has to be a support network in place to help them resolve their issues, so that they can ultimately come back into the education system.
jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#14New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 14:02:36
Will there be a quiz first?
How would you study for a drug test anyway?

Merely discovering a student is taking drugs does nothing to help the student get beyond the activity. Expulsion from school, notifying parents, confiscating the drugs and throwing an end of the school year party might seem like good ideas. All may help to move the student along to higher ground but in the final analysis ...ah sorry, what was the question?
I think mandatory drug tests would be in order for all those students who want to take them. Then if they want help they can ask for it.
PhoenixNebula On February 25, 2010
TFS' village idiot.

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jan 24, 2009 @ 14:12:36
My persoanl view is that they should be tested if suspicion is aroused. I believe that school is a time for experimenting and having fun, but not with drugs. Peer Presure is a terrible thing, myself and two freinds was thrown out of school for 3 weeks, after being caught down the field having a puff of an illegal substance. Everyone has their own personal prefrence to drugs, and mine is that children should not be part of it. It could have ruined my education, and whats worse, I shamed my mother, who was up until then, a lawyer. I think that if pupils at school know that they COULD be tested, it might make them think other wise. After all, school is about meeting friends, education and fun. Not taking drugs.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs