Literature

Should I Start Writing Again?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 16:56:24
There are many moments where I do end up missing the time where I wrote things down as soon as it hit me. I haven't been writing any poetry or any of my thoughts since I got out of boot camp. I have forgotten about it or just simply ignored it. I don't know if it was the fact that I had no motivation or inspiration for writing anymore. I used to write off emotion and there were times where I felt that it made me a bit immature since there are times where I don't know how to control my feelings or whatever. Since I have gotten to California and I have been working, there are multiple moments where words, sentences and millions of things have gotten to me and stayed in my mind.

It was as if I had to write it down. Which led to the previous poem that I have placed, which I don't think is very good. I feel that maybe my maturity was in my poetry. My true maturity. They have said that you do mature in the military and you age mentally there as well. Mainly due to stress, but also do to the life lessons you learn early on. I am 20 going to turn 21 next month, but I don't feel like I am my age. I want to have a more serious hobby, something that can ease my mind after work. Something that explains who I am on the inside, behind closed doors. This has led me back to literature. So, should I start writing again?
newmexicodan On March 31, 2024

roswell,
#2New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 17:03:42
Do it.Not for anyone or anything but just do it because you want to for your own inner creativity.I think once you start back up again,it'll start flowing out of you.Good luck!
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 19:06:16
You really think I should go for it?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 20:05:23
@Cpat92 Said

You really think I should go for it?

Nobody but you knows the answer to that.

Writing is a huge part of who I am. I've been writing poetry seriously for the past 25 years, published a little, and fell in love with writing fiction about ten years ago (some of my stories are in my journal here).

I have a new story in my head that I've only just started fleshing out on paper but before that it's been about 4 years since I've really written one...a real story with depth. And it was because I wasn't ready to do so again and nobody knew that but me.

If you feel you have to ask someone else if you should start writing again, the answer should be clear to you. That is never a question a writer should feel the need to ask if he or she is in fact ready to start again...seriously start. You can play with ideas and scribble things here and there but to have an actual idea for something great and start on it before you are ready is to ruin it. I have a dozen stories that have sat unfinished for literally several years because I started working on them when I shouldn't have.

Poems are different in that they aren't really ever right or wrong...they just are. A poem is never finished, it can only be abandoned by its author when he or she is done asking the painful questions a poem asks or painting the picture intended by it.

My suggestion as a writer myself is that if you feel you aren't sure if you are ready to start again or not...read. Read, read, read. It is a poor writer who writes more than he reads others' work. You may find that reading will give you inspiration to feel ready rather than feel as though you don't know if you should start or not, which is where you need to be. And it will teach you about writing more than any workshop or class ever could.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 20:16:18
And just to add...I'm not saying you have to put down the pen until you're ready to churn out your masterpiece. What I'm saying is don't force yourself into writing if you aren't feeling it. That's kind of what I meant by "playing with ideas and scribbling things down" those sorts of things are helpful and can aid in getting the ball rolling.

Maybe try starting a journal? You say you need to ease your mind at the end of the day, try taking what's happened to you during the day and turning it into something creative. Did an officer yell at you? Write a fictional page or two about him getting into a fight with a ten year old martial arts expert and losing...make it something silly. Did you accomplish some minor goal? Write a short poem about how it made you feel to do so.

If you aren't ready to WRITE write, these things can help sharpen yourself, but don't be hard on yourself if you aren't ready to complete something big that will make you want to share it with the world. Those great things sometimes come few and far between.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#6New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 22:24:52
@Eaglebauer Said

Nobody but you knows the answer to that.

Writing is a huge part of who I am. I've been writing poetry seriously for the past 25 years, published a little, and fell in love with writing fiction about ten years ago (some of my stories are in my journal here).

I have a new story in my head that I've only just started fleshing out on paper but before that it's been about 4 years since I've really written one...a real story with depth. And it was because I wasn't ready to do so again and nobody knew that but me.

If you feel you have to ask someone else if you should start writing again, the answer should be clear to you. That is never a question a writer should feel the need to ask if he or she is in fact ready to start again...seriously start. You can play with ideas and scribble things here and there but to have an actual idea for something great and start on it before you are ready is to ruin it. I have a dozen stories that have sat unfinished for literally several years because I started working on them when I shouldn't have.

Poems are different in that they aren't really ever right or wrong...they just are. A poem is never finished, it can only be abandoned by its author when he or she is done asking the painful questions a poem asks or painting the picture intended by it.

My suggestion as a writer myself is that if you feel you aren't sure if you are ready to start again or not...read. Read, read, read. It is a poor writer who writes more than he reads others' work. You may find that reading will give you inspiration to feel ready rather than feel as though you don't know if you should start or not, which is where you need to be. And it will teach you about writing more than any workshop or class ever could.

@Eaglebauer Said

And just to add...I'm not saying you have to put down the pen until you're ready to churn out your masterpiece. What I'm saying is don't force yourself into writing if you aren't feeling it. That's kind of what I meant by "playing with ideas and scribbling things down" those sorts of things are helpful and can aid in getting the ball rolling.

Maybe try starting a journal? You say you need to ease your mind at the end of the day, try taking what's happened to you during the day and turning it into something creative. Did an officer yell at you? Write a fictional page or two about him getting into a fight with a ten year old martial arts expert and losing...make it something silly. Did you accomplish some minor goal? Write a short poem about how it made you feel to do so.

If you aren't ready to WRITE write, these things can help sharpen yourself, but don't be hard on yourself if you aren't ready to complete something big that will make you want to share it with the world. Those great things sometimes come few and far between.

Thank you. That was actually quite insightful and it makes complete sense. Sometimes I just seem quite unsure of what I want to do or should at times and I guess these were one of those times in a way.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 23:51:05
@Cpat92 Said

Thank you. That was actually quite insightful and it makes complete sense. Sometimes I just seem quite unsure of what I want to do or should at times and I guess these were one of those times in a way.

That's okay. Sometimes you just need to sit down and sort of auto-write. Even if you have no idea what you want to do, just put the pen on the paper (or fingers on the keyboard) and let it fly.

Another trick I've used that's a lot of fun is to use hooks. I'll come up with a handful of really great first lines and put them on separate slips of paper and then put them all in an envelope. Sometimes they will sit for a year or so, but when I feel like writing and don't have anything to write about, I'll take one out and use it as a prompt...and just start writing from that really good first line.

One of my unfinished stories that I really want to finish some day came from one of those and the line was "Everything was going great, and we woulda' gotten away with it, and then Ernie had to go and call the cops."

I ended up turning it into a story about a complete redneck in a tiny little Mississippi town called Hot Coffee who has a genius IQ and ends up plotting to burglarize a house with his best friend Hank and Hank's borderline retarded brother Ernie. And it's hilarious. He gets tangled up with this complete floozie named Sandy and everything just goes South...it's an entire world filled with funny little lives that I created from that one single first line.

Fun stuff!
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#8New Post! Jun 22, 2013 @ 23:56:30
@Eaglebauer Said

That's okay. Sometimes you just need to sit down and sort of auto-write. Even if you have no idea what you want to do, just put the pen on the paper (or fingers on the keyboard) and let it fly.

Another trick I've used that's a lot of fun is to use hooks. I'll come up with a handful of really great first lines and put them on separate slips of paper and then put them all in an envelope. Sometimes they will sit for a year or so, but when I feel like writing and don't have anything to write about, I'll take one out and use it as a prompt...and just start writing from that really good first line.

One of my unfinished stories that I really want to finish some day came from one of those and the line was "Everything was going great, and we woulda' gotten away with it, and then Ernie had to go and call the cops."

I ended up turning it into a story about a complete redneck in a tiny little Mississippi town called Hot Coffee who has a genius IQ and ends up plotting to burglarize a house with his best friend Hank and Hank's borderline retarded brother Ernie. And it's hilarious. He gets tangled up with this complete floozie named Sandy and everything just goes South...it's an entire world filled with funny little lives that I created from that one single first line.

Fun stuff!

I'm going to have to totally try that.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Jun 23, 2013 @ 01:34:45
@Cpat92 Said

So, should I start writing again?

Yes.

30 to 40 minutes a day.... until you are addicted to it.
carelt1985 On June 25, 2016

Chesterfield, Missouri
#10New Post! Jun 23, 2013 @ 02:32:19
If that's how you feel, then write!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs