Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Severe Anxiety and insomnia

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#1New Post! Aug 24, 2010 @ 06:52:49
I have had panic attacks and generalized anxiety on and off since I was 19 (I'm now 40). From 19-29 I was so bad at times (usually 4-6 months every couple of years)that I was housebound...spent endless amounts of times calling ambulances and visiting emergency rooms thinking I was going insane or dying or both. Was thoroughly tested for all physical conditions that can cause anxiety and all negative. At 29 I was put on Effexor for my depression and anxiety. That worked really well, like nothing ever did before, and I was on it for 7 years. Had to stop taking it cold turkey because I lost my insurance for a bit and could no longer afford it. Started getting panic attacks back and ended up in the hospital last april because for three solid days i had severe panic and didnt sleep at all those whole three days. I was put on klonopin and remron (remron was horrible, it made my depression worse) but the klonopin worked pretty good for the panic attacks and anxiety in general. Then I was taken off the remron and switched to lexapro, which worked fairly well for my depression and a bit for anxiety. I had been doing so good until about a month or so ago...constant anxiety, peppered with severe panic attacks and the panic attacks make my depression worse. for the past week i have been lucky to get 2-4 hours of sleep a night. Obviously that makes my anxiety worse, and I keep freaking myself out thinking i will die if i dont sleep, or i get really frustrated that i cant sleep and that will make me more anxious. I've tried herbal tea, yoga, therapy, breathing exercises...just about everything, and still no sleep. Anybody had this same problem and found anything to help?
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#2New Post! Aug 24, 2010 @ 07:45:35
I'm not sure if it will help you, but maybe you could ask your doctor to give you Trazodone for sleep. It's worth a try.

I've had to increase my dosage because I've had the same problem with insomnia and it just seemed to be getting worse. I feel more relaxed and I do sleep better. My daily dosage is 100-200 mg.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me. Wishing you peace...
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#3New Post! Aug 25, 2010 @ 06:10:35
Thank you for your response.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#4New Post! Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:09:07
@catt35 Said

Thank you for your response.

You're welcome. Let us know how you're doing.
Rasputin On March 13, 2020

London, Canada
#5New Post! Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:23:39
When I was your age I went through the same thing. One thing that really helped was a book entitled "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weeks, it is quite an old book,but gives some very good advice for dealing with anxiety attacks. I know how horrible panic attacks and sleeplessness are. Also,have you had your thyroid tested? Sometimes a hyperactive thyroid can cause severe anxiety. Hope you feel better soon.
catiebuggg On April 13, 2011

Atlanta, Georgia
#6New Post! Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:40:54
My boyfriend is the same way. I know his stems from severe drug use for the past probably 8 years? Since he was 15. He's addicted to coke. He just handles it well I guess. He's used to it, he's used to never sleeping. He's used to the panic attacks, and he's learned ways to avoid them. I'm not sure if they'd help you though.

But try taking a look at your diet, I have no idea what you eat or anything, but a lot of those processed foods cause mental issues in a lot of people. I know it sounds crazy that your diet can have that kind of affect on you, but it does. I know children with horrible anger issues, if you take out food with a certain color die and a certain kind of sugar it will DRASTICALLY change their mood. I don't know a lot about it, so you'd have to do some research.

And I know I'll get a lot of backlash from this.. y'all can go ahead I don't care :]

But have you tried anything to help you relax at night before bed time? Maybe a glass of wine or 2, or maybe smoking a little pot? Not to get high or drunk or s***-faced, just to relax your mood and calm your anxiety down. I do believe that lack of sleep intensifies your disorder. So if you just slept I'm sure the anxiety would go down tremendously. Just a thought. Hope everything works out and you start feeling better soon.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 25, 2010 @ 12:20:46
Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this topic. Both my wife and I suffer the ocassional panick attack, usually starting unexpectedly. I will follow upm the advice suggested.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#8New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 11:24:39
What kind of therapy were you receiving?

I would suggest finding someone who practices cognitive behavioral therapy, and practices it well. It's very effective for treating depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#9New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:45:13
@Rasputin Said

When I was your age I went through the same thing. One thing that really helped was a book entitled "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weeks, it is quite an old book,but gives some very good advice for dealing with anxiety attacks. I know how horrible panic attacks and sleeplessness are. Also,have you had your thyroid tested? Sometimes a hyperactive thyroid can cause severe anxiety. Hope you feel better soon.

I'll try to find that book, thank you. And yes ive had my thyroid checked...several times. I was always hoping it was something physical cause it's easier to fix, at least that's what i used to think.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#10New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:47:58
I have heard that an organic HEALTHY diet will help you control it, not really solve the prob. It might make a difference opposed to taking a bunch of pills.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#11New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:48:30
@annski729 Said

What kind of therapy were you receiving?

I would suggest finding someone who practices cognitive behavioral therapy, and practices it well. It's very effective for treating depression, anxiety, and insomnia.

Ah, that's the really sad part. In the hodunk area in which i live there is only one mental health clinic people who are low income can go to, and they happen to suck very badly. The current therapist i see i do not like at all. I have requested a different one, but i have been going to that place on and off for 30 years and they all pretty much suck. They get a ton of medical card patients so they just act like they dont give a s***.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#12New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:49:23
@ssnot_me Said

I have heard that an organic HEALTHY diet will help you control it, not really solve the prob. It might make a difference opposed to taking a bunch of pills.

Ah, that'd be great, if i could find or afford organic food in my part of the world.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#13New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:53:09
@catt35 Said

Ah, that'd be great, if i could find or afford organic food in my part of the world.

you live in BFE Illinois?

never mind i see you said 'hodunk' that is the same place, pretty much.
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#14New Post! Aug 28, 2010 @ 03:02:46
@ssnot_me Said

you live in BFE Illinois?

never mind i see you said 'hodunk' that is the same place, pretty much.

klipperking On April 12, 2011

New Orleans, Louisiana
#15New Post! Apr 01, 2011 @ 03:51:08
i suffer from anxiety really bad too..i tried all types of medicene for it and the one that worked best is klonopin for ME...i took remeron and that was the WORST medicene ive ever taken...it made me feel SO sluggish for DAYS i didnt even feel like walking...the klonopin worked a whole lot with my rapid breathing ...and its not that expensive...they say its addicting but if you really need it, and most importantly if a doctor thinks its going to work and is best, then take it...dont feel guilty about taking it because it can be used as a drug, if you really need it
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs