Forums: Politics:
Animal Rights

Separation of Humans and Other Animals

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#1New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 22:55:31
There seem to be a few vegans on here whose values tell them that animals are equal to humans, which is fine; we all have different values.

But I do have a question. Say others don't have such values, that they care primarily about their own species just as the other animals on this planet. Do you feel that placing more importance on humans makes them morally inferior as you seem to imply, or do you acknowledge it simply as a difference in values?
bloody__bug On October 28, 2011

nowwere, Canada
#2New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:18:42
Humans should be treated the same as animals

(i no longer consider myself human)
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#3New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:25:54
@bloody__bug Said

Humans should be treated the same as animals

(i no longer consider myself human)

Okay, but other animals put their own species first.

nowwere, Canada
#4New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:32:10
@AmberB Said

humans should be treated like other animals, like when they need to be culled, they would actually be culled. The world doesn;t need more than a tenth of what it has now.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#5New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:37:53
@bloody__bug Said

humans should be treated like other animals, like when they need to be culled, they would actually be culled. The world doesn;t need more than a tenth of what it has now.

Okay, but we aren't going to cull our own species.

nowwere, Canada
#6New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:39:31
no, ascended humans will cull the humans.

Power rangers wasn;t a kids show, it was a training video :D
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#7New Post! Dec 12, 2009 @ 23:43:07
Okie dokie then.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:13:14
@AmberB Said

Okay, but we aren't going to cull our own species.

Actually we do every day. While there is enough food to feed every human being on the planet, we prefer to give much of it to "food animals" while 30-40 thousand human children die EACH DAY of starvation related issues.

rogY
etherspin On March 18, 2011

mitcham, Australia
#9New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 09:16:21
absolutely.
our taste (a form of pleasure or entertainment to us) not only enslaves and then ends the lives of non-human animals in the billions but also diverts and uses resources that could feed millions of other starving humans, solve many of our water issues and remove the biggest contributor to global warming that we have .

consider another human individual who uses animals to fill a specific taste/form of entertainment he enjoys, it has the same basic plotline as our own animal consumption, the same ending too but most animal consumers among us consider it perverse when really - the need for other forms of amusement and entertainment are as important as the desire for a particular foodstuff ... enter , Simon the Sadist

https://www.abolitionistapproach.com/media/links/p90/simon-the.pdf
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#10New Post! Dec 14, 2009 @ 13:15:16
@rogy Said

Actually we do every day. While there is enough food to feed every human being on the planet, we prefer to give much of it to "food animals" while 30-40 thousand human children die EACH DAY of starvation related issues.

rogY

There is enough of a surplus of food animals to feed the hungery as well. That we don't feed them all really has nothing to do with animal rights; we likely wouldn't do much more to that end either way.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 14, 2009 @ 17:58:16
@AmberB Said

There is enough of a surplus of food animals to feed the hungery as well. That we don't feed them all really has nothing to do with animal rights; we likely wouldn't do much more to that end either way.

Assuming that what you said about surplus is true, this issue still has something to do with animal rights in the sense that any system that routinely overrides the rights of one human group to benefit another reflects social values that are also likely to harm nonhuman interests too.

rogY
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#12New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 15:07:37
@rogy Said

Assuming that what you said about surplus is true, this issue still has something to do with animal rights in the sense that any system that routinely overrides the rights of one human group to benefit another reflects social values that are also likely to harm nonhuman interests too.

rogY

So where would it be more important for us to begin the correction of said social values-- our relations with other groups of humans or our relations with other species of animals? Should other groups of humans continue to suffer because we are putting more energy into animal rights than human welfare?
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:29:33
@AmberB Said

So where would it be more important for us to begin the correction of said social values-- our relations with other groups of humans or our relations with other species of animals? Should other groups of humans continue to suffer because we are putting more energy into animal rights than human welfare?

Since the two things are linked, I cannot see a problem here.

See how Professor Tom Regan (author of The Case for Animal Rights) explains how animal campaigners also campaign for human rights.
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#14New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 16:58:54
@rogy Said

Since the two things are linked, I cannot see a problem here.

See how Professor Tom Regan (author of The Case for Animal Rights) explains how animal campaigners also campaign for human rights.

You can't see the problem by asking a species that can't/won't even care for all of its own to care for all other species equally? That seems unrealistic to me, even more unrealistic anyway. (can't watch youtube, by the way)

Can I ask, though-- If you had to pick one, would you save the life of a human or of another sentient species?
blackdahliaxxx On March 30, 2012

Banned

birmingham Uk, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 17:05:27
@AmberB Said

I dont think that's true. my dogs would die for me just as readily as they would for each other and so I see it as looking out for those you love rather than anything else because i'm sure they would do the same for my cat as well. Species doesn't even come into it one iota.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs