The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Semi driver charged with vehicular homicide in fiery crash that left multiple dead

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 15:33:30
https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-people-killed-injured-colorado-massive-highway-crash/story?id=62645657

This is pretty bad.

Quote:
The accident occurred Thursday about 4:30 p.m. when a semitrailer traveling at a high rate of speed slammed into several stopped cars during a traffic jam, police said.

Four semis and 24 cars were involved in the crash, officials said Friday.

Joshua McCutchen told "Good Morning America" he noticed a semi barreling down the emergency lane before he saw fire, smoke and explosions.

They say there's no indication it was intentional...but I kinda have to wonder after reading the story and watching the video.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 17:02:33
@Eaglebauer Said

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-people-killed-injured-colorado-massive-highway-crash/story?id=62645657

This is pretty bad.

They say there's no indication it was intentional...but I kinda have to wonder after reading the story and watching the video.

Yeah, I saw that.
the news a little bit ago says the brother (?) of the driver said the brakes went out.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:19:48
@mrmhead Said

Yeah, I saw that.
the news a little bit ago says the brother (?) of the driver said the brakes went out.

Why would he be charged of manslaughter if his brakes went out? This puzzles me.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:38:40
@Leon Said

Why would he be charged of manslaughter if his brakes went out? This puzzles me.

It hasn't been confirmed that was the cause.

But still, isn't the driver still somewhat liable, even if it was an accident or failure?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:49:29
@mrmhead Said

It hasn't been confirmed that was the cause.

But still, isn't the driver still somewhat liable, even if it was an accident or failure?

Not criminally. Or shouldn’t be anyways, in my opinion.

So if I’m driving down a freeway and see slowdown ahead of me, apply the breaks as one properly should, only for the brakes to fail and ram into the car ahead of me, killing him, I can be arrested for this? I understand that I am liable in terms of insurance and medical payments, but can be criminally charged?

Maybe I am not aware that this is standard, but it doesn’t seem right to me.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:51:32
If it was a mechanical failure, the truck company might be liable (as far as financial/insurance s***)

If they failed because they were not maintained/serviced appropriately it would be the driver liable (assuming it’s a private truck and not a company vehicle).

Though an arrest implies they have other evidence/suspicion something else was going on. They may be wrong, though.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:53:31
Yeah I don’t think even in the failure to maintain it’s legally criminal.

Speeding is criminal though. So if you were speeding when you’re breaks failed that might be enough to arrest.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:54:29
@Leon Said

Not criminally. Or shouldn’t be anyways, in my opinion.

So if I’m driving down a freeway and see slowdown ahead of me, apply the breaks as one properly should, only for the brakes to fail and ram into the car ahead of me, killing him, I can be arrested for this? I understand that I am liable in terms of insurance and medical payments, but can be criminally charged?

Maybe I am not aware that this is standard, but it doesn’t seem right to me.

I agree, I don't think it sounds right either. I mean criminal negligence is a thing but I don't know that it would apply here. All we really have is that his brother said the brakes went out. Not exactly an ironclad source.

I'm thinking if his brakes went out he would have been blaring his horn or something. Maybe he was, but the way it's being reported makes it sound like he just plowed into a cluster of other vehicles totally by surprise.

Who knows...

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:57:49
From a CNN article I was just reading - "Countryman" is from the local police department.

When asked whether there were any mechanical issues with the truck, Countryman said it is something his department is looking into, but he believes even if there were a mechanical issue, vehicular manslaughter charges would still stick.

I know what you mean it kind of doesn't sound right.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:58:21
Okay, then it’s probably more to the story than that. The police chief or whoever said that even if it was a brake failure it wouldn’t change the charges, so I thought that was strange. But maybe he was referring to the fact that there was other evidence it wasn’t fully accidental.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 18:58:54
@mrmhead Said

From a CNN article I was just reading - "Countryman" is from the local police department.

When asked whether there were any mechanical issues with the truck, Countryman said it is something his department is looking into, but he believes even if there were a mechanical issue, vehicular manslaughter charges would still stick.

I know what you mean it kind of doesn't sound right.

Yeah, this.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 19:00:37
Hmmm...

> Not intentional.
> No evidence of drugs or alcohol.

> Could be mechanical problem...?

> Could be excessive speed... i.e. reckless driving. (This one gets my vote.)

> Could be he fell asleep... driving too many hours/not enough sleep... i.e reckless driving.

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 19:02:17
Downshift / engine brake, run off the road ... was there anything else he could have done?

... I know it's all speculation and hindsight now.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#14New Post! Apr 26, 2019 @ 19:42:04
I remember I had a wreck. It was scary but nobody got hurt. Now I don’t even drive a car
Electric_Banana On about 17 hours ago

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Apr 28, 2019 @ 16:41:06

Feel it when I turn the screw

The databank know my number
Says I gotta pay 'cause I made the grade last year...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs